12 members have voted

1. 1. Weis

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Rodriguez

• Yes
    • No

Rich Rod gets another year.

He originally signed a 6 year contract which is a significant commitment to a coach and his system.

However, the Michigan faithful are going to want to see some major improvement next year in order for Rich Rod to see year 4 of the contract.

Weis is gone, with the possibility of one exception.

The ND AD thinks Weis has done a good enough job with the talent he has been able to recruit.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Weis is gone, with the possibility of one exception.

The ND AD thinks Weis has done a good enough job with the talent he has been able to recruit.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

I think the one exception is that Clausen and Tate might stick around for their senior year if Weis is still there. If he's gone, there's no way they don't declare and 2010 starts looking ugly for the Irish no matter who is coaching.

In fact, I would have still bet on Weis keeping his job until yesterday and assuming he could go 8-4. But blowing a 14-0 on Senior Day against UCONN? Just awful. Possibly the best passing attack in the country and he basically played for FGs twice in the 2d half and went into 'run out the clock' mode with 6:00 left, a 3 point lead and a spent defense. Terrible job yesterday by Weis.

Weis should be gone. I hate it because I like the guy and I have defended him numerous times. He is a great recruiter but just an average coach (if that).

I wouldn't say that Clausen and Tate are locks to leave if he is fired though. It will all depend on who the next coach is. While both players are having great seasons, the team's record has kept both from being on national awards lists (Clausen especially). If this is a 10-2 team, Clausen still has a shot at the Heisman. It will all depend on where Jimmy is projected in the draft, but every skill player on offense is set to come back next year and put up USC-numbers. If the team as a whole could be better, his stock will skyrocket.

Rodriguez should be given another year. Michigan crumbled down the stretch, but if they hadn't started out so hot, the season wouldn't look as bad. Meaning if their 4 wins were more spread out. He is still in process of changing an offense from a style that couldn't be more opposite than what he wants to run. If they can't compete in the ugly Big Ten next year, then revisit the question.

Weis should be gone. I hate it because I like the guy and I have defended him numerous times. He is a great recruiter but just an average coach (if that).

I wouldn't say that Clausen and Tate are locks to leave if he is fired though. It will all depend on who the next coach is. While both players are having great seasons, the team's record has kept both from being on national awards lists (Clausen especially). If this is a 10-2 team, Clausen still has a shot at the Heisman. It will all depend on where Jimmy is projected in the draft, but every skill player on offense is set to come back next year and put up USC-numbers. If the team as a whole could be better, his stock will skyrocket.

Rodriguez should be given another year. Michigan crumbled down the stretch, but if they hadn't started out so hot, the season wouldn't look as bad. Meaning if their 4 wins were more spread out. He is still in process of changing an offense from a style that couldn't be more opposite than what he wants to run. If they can't compete in the ugly Big Ten next year, then revisit the question.

TMQ had some comments about Weis and ND a few days ago:

..."TMQ thinks Notre Dame alums should be proud of the football program's recent struggles -- because the reason for the struggles is that Notre Dame still requires football players to attend class. Over the past couple of decades, increasingly most top 20 football schools have discarded any pretense of education. With a 94 percent football graduation rate, Notre Dame is competing against programs with a 68 percent football graduation rate (Florida), a 55 percent graduation rate (Alabama) and a 50 percent graduation rate (Texas); other football power schools have similarly miserable grad rates. Low graduation rates at big football schools mean players cut class to concentrate on sports, being pros in all but pay. "Don't go to Notre Dame, they make you study there, come to our college and party, party, party" has become a recruiting pitch that undercuts the Fighting Irish."...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nfl

..."TMQ thinks Notre Dame alums should be proud of the football program's recent struggles -- because the reason for the struggles is that Notre Dame still requires football players to attend class. Over the past couple of decades, increasingly most top 20 football schools have discarded any pretense of education. With a 94 percent football graduation rate, Notre Dame is competing against programs with a 68 percent football graduation rate (Florida), a 55 percent graduation rate (Alabama) and a 50 percent graduation rate (Texas); other football power schools have similarly miserable grad rates. Low graduation rates at big football schools mean players cut class to concentrate on sports, being pros in all but pay. "Don't go to Notre Dame, they make you study there, come to our college and party, party, party" has become a recruiting pitch that undercuts the Fighting Irish."...

Definitely something to take pride in. While I watched several football players skate by pretty easily at ND, it always made me wonder how much worse it must be at other football factory schools. Overall, I think Notre Dame does a great job keeping the emphasis on the STUDENT portion of "Student-Athlete." There is/was a great mandatory freshman academic advisor program that forced the athletes to stay in line during their early days on campus. There were mandatory meetings, missed classes were reported to coaches, etc. And it was for all freshmen athletes...not just a catering program to the rainmakers of football and basketball.

FWIW, Easterbrook was using last year's numbers...the 2009 NCAA stats came out last week and ND was ranked 1st among all I-A football programs with a 96% graduation rate (tied with Duke). Assuming Charlie is out, while I hope whatever coach replaces him can bring us some greater success on the field, I also equally hope that he continues this trend of strong academic emphasis which Ty Willingham championed and Weis succeeded.

FWIW, Easterbrook was using last year's numbers...the 2009 NCAA stats came out last week and ND was ranked 1st among all I-A football programs with a 96% graduation rate (tied with Duke). Assuming Charlie is out, while I hope whatever coach replaces him can bring us some greater success on the field, I also equally hope that he continues this trend of strong academic emphasis which Ty Willingham championed and Weis succeeded.

:wallbash:

My wife attended PSU for grad school. At the time (early '80's), they were strict...players had to check into the libraries for a certain number of hours per week. I doubt that's the case these days - dunno.

Guess they can find out how much water that argument holds tomorrow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.