Central New York & Western New York State Accents!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought I had an accent. When I moved to Minnesota, I had many people tell me that they could tell I wasn't from the area because of my accent. :( I still can't tell the difference between Minnesotans and WNYers, but hey...

And no, people don't say, "You betcha! For sure!" around here like they portrayed in Fargo... :(

No, people from Minnesota sound like the secretary from Ferris Bueller's Day Off...

"noooooooooooooo, they think he's a riitschissss dooooooooooooood!"

I do tech support so I talk to a lot of people on the phone and I can tell immediately their proximity to Canada/Great Lakes. People from WI, MN, MI, northern OH, and western NY tend to sound alike.

They sound almost Canadian with their pronounciation of the letter o like in phone. They say it like "foe un". And the word about is more like "uh bot"

I never thought I had an accent. When I moved to Minnesota, I had many people tell me that they could tell I wasn't from the area because of my accent. :( I still can't tell the difference between Minnesotans and WNYers, but hey...

And no, people don't say, "You betcha! For sure!" around here like they portrayed in Fargo... :(

Fargo is in North Dakota, not Minnesota. Minneapolis to Fargo is the equivalent of Long Island to Erie Pa. Northern Minnesota is an entirely different world than Minneapolis. My wife was born in Bemidji Minn not far from Fargo ND & yeah, they do say "you betcha" "for sure" up there. They also say "okey dokey"

With Binghamton practically being in PA you wouldn't think they would have the Inland North accent. But it's as thick as Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo.

Also when I was in Albany, two people there called Rochester "Rock-chester". I bet that happens a lot the further away you go from Rochester.

In Albany there's no one accent. I would say it's close to none, but I've heard bits of different accents from some natives, but no common one among them . The one you heard was like a New York City one, but I hardly hear it here. When I go downstate I start to laugh because so many people tawk New Yawk down there. Me, I've got bits of everything from NYS. I was born in the Bronx, grew up in Nassau county Long Island, then went to Fredonia at 17 and at one time picked up a little WNY accent, then shuttled back & forth between Buffalo & LI, finally settling in Albany almost 22 years ago. I don't have any regional accent in my words, but my tone is more NYC than elsewhere.

But there is in Waterford, for some reason.

I find it a little sad and weird, that, when I go home, I can now confirm that WNY does indeed have an accent.

"Would you like a glass of warrr or a glass of melk?"

Why are you maykin fun of the waay we taak upstayte? I seen someone at Wahmart taakin like that and asked 'em where they was from. They said Chicago. Mingia, wierd huh? You posted this and thaat you were funny din't ya? Mingia, I don't know why you think it's so crayzy ta taak like that. I hope this thread is gahn by Mondey. I orght to wersh your mouth out wiith soap.

Fargo is in North Dakota, not Minnesota. Minneapolis to Fargo is the equivalent of Long Island to Erie Pa. Northern Minnesota is an entirely different world than Minneapolis. My wife was born in Bemidji Minn not far from Fargo ND & yeah, they do say "you betcha" "for sure" up there. They also say "okey dokey"

Gee, thanks for the geography lesson for the state I live in. :(

When people watched the movie, general opinion was that everyone in the state spoke like that. Since over half of the population of the state lives in the Twin Cities metro area, that is blindly false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_%28film...opular_reaction

Additionally, most rural Minnesotans do not speak with an accent similar to that found in the movie and it is far less detectable in the Twin Cities where over 60% of the state's population lives. Speakers from Minneapolis and St. Paul are more characterized by the Northern Cities Vowel Shift which is also found in other places in the northern United States such as Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minneapolis...ike-people.html

Gee, thanks for the geography lesson for the state I live in. :(

When people watched the movie, general opinion was that everyone in the state spoke like that. Since over half of the population of the state lives in the Twin Cities metro area, that is blindly false.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_%28film...opular_reaction

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minneapolis...ike-people.html

The Movie took place in North Dakota...................NOT Minnesota let alone Minneapolis.

The Movie took place in North Dakota...................NOT Minnesota let alone Minneapolis.

The only part in ND was when they caught Lundergard in the motel in Fargo.

I had a boss that grew up in MN. She said the hicks in MN speak like they did in the movie.

Masiello has the Buffalo accent.

Anyone ever see the movie "You Kill Me" with Ben Kingsley? Supposed to be a Polish mob hitman from Buffalo, lol...anyway...

I think it was Bill Pullman who was his Buffalo mob contact when Kingsley went to California... someone coached Pullman pretty well on the Buffalo accent and he sounded a bit like Masiello.