Brohm has good arm

F UNC

"Almost a number 1 pick" is of course an over-exaggeration, but most projected a top 10 pick if he had come out early. With so much changing between the end of the college season and draft time, who knows where he would have ended up, but the norm is for QB's like Brohm to move up the charts as the draft approaches, not down.

http://sooners.wordpress.com/2007/11/28/me...vember-21-2007/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are very few people who saying Brohm is going to save the team and be a great starting QB. Even the ones who are calling for him to start are either being sarcastic or are basically saying "can't be worse than what we have now". More of an opinion on current QB's than favoring Brohm.

But none of that has to do with what was thought of him while he was in college. If you don't remember back that far, or don't pay attention to that part of football, that's fine, but don't spout about what other people can actually bring to a conversation.

Most likely Brohm will come in and barely make the team as a 3rd stringer or get cut (probably not till training camp next season though, since he signed a two year contract). There's maybe a slim chance he finds his way and turns into a very solid backup. And if a miracle happens, we get the coaching staff in here who knows how to groom a QB, and he can become an Aaron Rodgers type who can make a name for himself after a few years of learning the system and getting a chance to show his stuff.

No matter what happens, what's the point of crapping on a discussion of the guy?

At this point? There is no point I suppose. But there were several Brohm threads when this one first started, and it just seemed a little pointless to start another, but whatever.

Talk about what he did in college all you want. But there are lots of quarterbacks who are great and college and don't amount to anything. That alone, of course, isn't telling, but he didn't seem to turn any Packers fans' heads. I remember when they drafted him and the jury was still out on Rodgers. That didn't last long.

Try doing some research...he was a possible first pick had he come out after his Jr season. He was indeed the 3rd overall QB taken the following year, so this guy is no bum and is the most talented QB today on our roster. Period.

3rd overall QB and #1 overall pick are two completely different things. I watch the drafts pretty closely and I don't remember him even being in the top ten. Maybe some smaller organizations did, but I don't remember him being that high. I could be wrong, though. I still like the signing, for the record, I would just settle down a little about it.

Given the big $$$ he could have banked by coming out early, I question his brains and those of his parents. By all accounts, he's a nice youngster, and I appreciate getting a degree.

But jeeze... :w00t:

Peyton Manning also decided to give his college football team four years, despite the chance to come out early and make a ton of money. By no means am I suggesting Brohm will become the next Peyton Manning. There are some red flags here, most notably the fact he'd been demoted to Green Bay's practice squad.

But I don't see the decision to spend that extra year in college as one of those red flags. I've heard it said that a quarterback who plays in college for four years learns things which make subsequent success in the NFL significantly more likely.

At this point? There is no point I suppose. But there were several Brohm threads when this one first started, and it just seemed a little pointless to start another, but whatever.

Talk about what he did in college all you want. But there are lots of quarterbacks who are great and college and don't amount to anything. That alone, of course, isn't telling, but he didn't seem to turn any Packers fans' heads. I remember when they drafted him and the jury was still out on Rodgers. That didn't last long.

3rd overall QB and #1 overall pick are two completely different things. I watch the drafts pretty closely and I don't remember him even being in the top ten. Maybe some smaller organizations did, but I don't remember him being that high. I could be wrong, though. I still like the signing, for the record, I would just settle down a little about it.

he was the projected #1 QB the PRIOR year...HE RETURNED TO SCHOOL!

http://football.about.com/od/nflplayerprof.../brianbrohm.htm

6'4" Weight: 225

40-Yard Dash: 4.95 (EST)

Positives:

Brohm has a very similar body type to Brady Quinn. He's tall and stands with poise. He moves well around the pocket and his patience allows plays to fully develop. He has speed and can be a threat on the ground if necessary, but also like Quinn, prefers to work with his arm rather than his feet.

His arm is as good as they come (just ask the MLB team that drafted him). He throws a great deep ball but more importantly, the majority of his passes have touch, making it easy for his receivers to pick up yardage after the catch.

Often forgotten is that Brohm has been under the microscope since high school. In 2002 he was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated as one the nations top young quarterbacks. Thus far he is unphased by the spotlight. He doesn't make the mind-bending mistakes that most young QBs tend to when under pressure. His calm and confident nature is the keystone to success as a QB in the NFL.

Negatives:

There are only two major problems on Brohm’s resume; injuries and touchdowns. Durability is a major question. Anyone looking at Brohm has to be concerned. In 2005 he tore his ACL. Despite the tear, he went through a Carson Palmer-like rehabilitation and was able to start the season opener for his Louisville Cardinals.

Just a few games into the 2006 season, Brohm broke his hand. The hand required surgery and he was forced to sit for a month.

Overview:

When healthy Brohm is one of the best play callers in the nation. He has a Tom Brady swagger with a Carson Palmer-like arm. He's big and strong and makes sound decisions for his team. However, he has a downside that the other top quarterback's don't and that's durability. He appears to be relatively fragile and that could scare teams away from taking him high in the first round of the draft.

Projection:

Early First Round

anyhoo, he has a chance and he has an above avg arm...may the chips fall where they may

haha, well at least we're high on ourselves, aren't we? Mind if I 'repsond'? Your opinion boils down to "well, we've got nothing to lose and our current QB situation sucks....so why not?" I actually agree with that, if you bothered to look at the actual Brian Brohm threads (hence there not being a need for another one). And here's another novel idea: why don't you look at what he's done in the NFL before going overboard with his college performance (since, as we know, so many college players fail in the NFL): he's sucked in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers, he's been unable to not only see the field, but make the 53-man roster, he got beat out by a 7th round nobody from the football juggernaut Louisiana State, and his own scouted downfalls are the same as our current 'franchise' quarterback. So before you start accusing others of having a 'lack of intellect' for simply calling it like it is, maybe, just maybe, you should realize that the opinion might be one that is thought out.

By the way, if you don't like when people call out others for creating unnecessary threads, there are at least a dozen people on this board you are going to have an issue with. Probably more. Deal with it.

You ever watch Brohm play, college or preseason? In fact, he was expected to be a very high draft pick. And here's another novel idea: when he sucked those preseason games, who do you think was blocking for him, playing RB, receiver etc? That's right, guys that are probably not in the league. Thought out?

Peyton Manning also decided to give his college football team four years, despite the chance to come out early and make a ton of money. By no means am I suggesting Brohm will become the next Peyton Manning. There are some red flags here, most notably the fact he'd been demoted to Green Bay's practice squad.

But I don't see the decision to spend that extra year in college as one of those red flags. I've heard it said that a quarterback who plays in college for four years learns things which make subsequent success in the NFL significantly more likely.

I suppose that's so.

But Brohm was GB's #2 selection in '08, #56 overall, yet ultimately got relegated to their PS. That's not common fate for a #2, no matter how strong team might be at a position. There is a story there.

I'm happy BUF signed him, though...they have little to lose. We all hope he becomes a success here.

Always a-holes who think they're the gatekeeper of the board. Must be nice to have a life where you have time to be unproductive and just repsond to others posts with no real critque of the issue, but only an invaluable opinion on whether the topic justifies a thread. How stupid.

So should everyone ask YOU before posting whether or not the topic is worthy of a thread. Don't you get the basic concept behind the internet and fourms like this., It's the opposite of traditional news media in that we can pick and chose what we read and more importantly, ignore the topics we don't care for. You, unfortunately don't have the emotional and intellectual maturity to ignore a post you don't find interesting by being dignified and ignoring it.

So let me critique your insight, rather than a theoretical disucssion of whether or not this warrants a thread. Obviously you know I think the thread is warranted.

As for the data being irrelevant, its as relevant to the discussion and understanding of Brohm as a QB than anything out there. Here's a novel idea... you read something about a topic, in this case the traits of a QB, and use them to form an opinion, instead of just having an uniformed opinion. So, the post is in fact highly relevant in that there is no NFL tape or playing experience to judge Brohm on. And the fact that you're willing to dismiss this report due only to time shows your short-sightedness and lack of intellect.

The bottomline is, based on this report, pre-draft analysis, and his college playing career, I will state an educated opinion: good pickup for a QB deficient team that obviously doesn't have the future QB on the roster. Hamdan was a thirds stringer behind two guys who are backups, making him not NFL material. Brohm was essentially the third strong QB in GB as the team only had two on the active roster. So, using reason and rational thought, the third stringer behind Aaron Rodgers is certainly better than the third stringer behind Ryan Fitzpatrick. Therefore, this post allows readers the opportunity, then, to see what the Bills got.

Well Said. This thing is here for people to say whatever they want. If you think a thread is stupid, nobody compels you to read it. Lighten up dude. Sheeesh.

I love how Brohm is climbing the would-be draft boards. He was going to be a first rounder. Then he was going to be a top ten. Then he was going to be a top five. Now he was "nearly a #1 overall" pick. What's next, that teams are spending draft picks from the year before on him a la Larry Bird? Give me a break. And no, this didn't need it's own topic. It easily would have fit in any of the other three Brian Brohm threads. If the moderators around here did their jobs (ahem) they would merge the threads already and clean this place up. Although this thread may have already diverged too far by this point to fit in with any of the others.

Please shut up, all you do is complain.

You ever watch Brohm play, college or preseason? In fact, he was expected to be a very high draft pick. And here's another novel idea: when he sucked those preseason games, who do you think was blocking for him, playing RB, receiver etc? That's right, guys that are probably not in the league. Thought out?

Yeah, that's one explanation. Another is that he just didn't adapt to the pro game. A 7th round nobody thaken in the same draft making the team over him speaks volumes.

Well Said. This thing is here for people to say whatever they want. If you think a thread is stupid, nobody compels you to read it. Lighten up dude. Sheeesh.

Except everyone is already reading multiple existing Brian Brohm threads and this guy thinks his point, that Brohm has a good arm, is more important and needs it's own thread. That was my point.

I suppose that's so.

But Brohm was GB's #2 selection in '08, #56 overall, yet ultimately got relegated to their PS. That's not common fate for a #2, no matter how strong team might be at a position. There is a story there.

I'm happy BUF signed him, though...they have little to lose. We all hope he becomes a success here.

If it makes you feel any better, the last time the Bills signed a quarterback Green Bay didn't want, we got . . . well, never mind.

I agree that Brohm's having fallen in the draft was a warning sign, and his relegation to Green Bay's practice squad is a more serious one. But like you said, the Bills have little to loose here.

When this team, or you, for that matter, give me reason to do otherwise, please let me know.

Here are reasons:

1. They fired DJ

2. They search for a better qb solution

3. They are practising in pads.

Now, stop bitching for 24 hours you will feel better

Yeah, that's one explanation. Another is that he just didn't adapt to the pro game. A 7th round nobody thaken in the same draft making the team over him speaks volumes.

Except everyone is already reading multiple existing Brian Brohm threads and this guy thinks his point, that Brohm has a good arm, is more important and needs it's own thread. That was my point.

I wouldn't call a guy who dominated the SEC in the one year he started, and led his team to the National Championship a nobody.

I fall in the intrigued category with Brohm, interested in seeing what he can do, but don't have very high expectations.

I wouldn't call a guy who dominated the SEC in the one year he started, and led his team to the National Championship a nobody.

I fall in the intrigued category with Brohm, interested in seeing what he can do, but don't have very high expectations.

Fair enough. I will admit to not knowing who Matt Flynn is except by name. But still, a 7th rounder making the team over a 2nd round, highly touted, quarterback is significant.

If it makes you feel any better, the last time the Bills signed a quarterback Green Bay didn't want, we got . . . well, never mind.

I agree that Brohm's having fallen in the draft was a warning sign, and his relegation to Green Bay's practice squad is a more serious one. But like you said, the Bills have little to loose here.

Exactly. Brady Quinn was supposed to be a top five pick as well, and he dropped. How's he doing these days?

What is going on here? We just cut a 3rd string player who wasnt good enough to even be considered an option despite playing behind to completely inept QB's in Trent and Fitz...in other words, zero upside. Now we sign a guy that isnt expected to be the future of the franchise, but has a lot of upside, especially considering Trent and Fitz are clearly not the answer.

So whats the big deal? What on earth do the Bills have at risk here? Answer is nothing. Brohm has potential to be a starter or a solid backup...doesnt mean he will be, but he has potential, something we dont have in any of the 3 QB's that have been on this roster this year. So why all the hostility?

When 100 fans repeat that this kid has no arm when indeed he does have an arm, it needs to be put out there. This kid can toss the rock...he has more pop than Edwards and it needs to be put out there. He was nearly a #1 pick overall...he might be OK.

JaMarcus Russell WAS the #1 pick overall and he's hardly OK.

The Packers love Matt Flynn according to everything I've read. Brohm and Flynn had a really close battle for a roster spot and ultimately Flynn picked up the playbook a little faster. I heard on the radio that the Packers were on the verge of picking up Brohm to protect him and the Bills just got there first.