Shanhan to meet with Bills next week-per Vic Carucci

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/19/shanahan-l...ials-next-week/

Shanahan likely to meet with Bills officials next week

Posted: November 19th, 2009 | Vic Carucci | Tags: Bill Cowher, Buffalo Bills, Mike Shanahan, Ralph Wilson

Mike Shanahan has emerged as the Bills’ “No. 1 candidate” to become their full-time coach after the season, according to a source close to the team.

The source said a meeting between Shanahan, Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Bills chief operating officer/general manager Russ Brandon, who is overseeing the hiring process, likely will take place next week.

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher also is high on the Bills’ list of candidates, but at the moment, they are focused on Shanahan, who guided the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl championships in the late 1990s but was fired after last season.

There’s also strong speculation that the Redskins are pursuing Shanahan to replace Jim Zorn as their coach after the season. However, according to the source close to the Bills, Shanahan is intrigued by the “low-maintenance” situation he would have in Buffalo as opposed to Washington.

The Bills, the source said, are willing to offer whatever salary is necessary to land a high-end candidate such as Shanahan and would give him total control of the football operation, something Wilson has generally been opposed to doing in the past. Adding to the job’s attractiveness, according to the source, is the fact the team is in solid financial shape and not burdened by any dead salary-cap money.

“This is his (Wilson’s) last coach and (he) is going to do everything it takes to get it right,” the source said of the 91-year-old owner.

The Bills fired Dick Jauron on Tuesday and made defensive coordinator Perry Fewell their interim head coach.

– Vic Carucci

I'll agree the guy is an offensive genius, and a has no insight into a defensive scheme whatsoever.

It was the defense that failed him his last season in Denver, they were last in almost every category. Kinda makes you wonder how Mike Nolan turned around that defense so quickly this year.

I'd be excited to get Shanahan, but seriously, I remember thinking the guy had gone nuts his last couple years in Denver. The way he seemed to be compulsively signing every Browns defensive line castoff he could get his hands on! And things just kept getting worse and worse....

Like I said, I would be pretty happy with the hire, but hopefully the way things fell apart in Denver have given him a new frame of mind about defense.

Per Rotoworld

NFL.com's Vic Carucci reports that the Bills will meet with former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan next week.

Carucci confirms that Shanahan is Buffalo's "No. 1" head coaching target. The meeting will involve owner Ralph Wilson and COO/GM Russ Brandon, who Shanahan would probably give a pink slip to if he's hired. It's well known that Shanahan wants full control of football operations, even if taking on such responsibilities didn't work out towards the end of his Broncos stint. Wilson is reportedly willing to offer The Mastermind any amount of salary to take the job.

Sounds good to me. Make him GM and HC! Git er done Ralph

Per Rotoworld

NFL.com's Vic Carucci reports that the Bills will meet with former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan next week.

Carucci confirms that Shanahan is Buffalo's "No. 1" head coaching target. The meeting will involve owner Ralph Wilson and COO/GM Russ Brandon, who Shanahan would probably give a pink slip to if he's hired. It's well known that Shanahan wants full control of football operations, even if taking on such responsibilities didn't work out towards the end of his Broncos stint. Wilson is reportedly willing to offer The Mastermind any amount of salary to take the job.

Wrong......hat would infuriate Ralph and he would fire Shanahan on the spot, a day after his hiring.

I'll agree the guy is an offensive genius, and a has no insight into a defensive scheme whatsoever.

It was the defense that failed him his last season in Denver, they were last in almost every category. Kinda makes you wonder how Mike Nolan turned around that defense so quickly this year.

I heard awhile back that after Shanahan got fired he started looking into new defensive schemes. Apparently he realized that his defensive scheme was outdated and used up.

just some food for thought...

I heard awhile back that after Shanahan got fired he started looking into new defensive schemes. Apparently he realized that his defensive scheme was outdated and used up.

Shanahan: "So listen, I know people have been on me lately for the failure in my defensive schemes...so after doing some research I found this GREAT scheme that is sure to dominate here in Buffalo. It's called the Cover 2!

*awkward silence*

Ralph: "I like it."

He says that he's the No.1 coaching target, so are they still going to interview Gilbride, Haslett & Trestman?

I doubt they ever had any interest in those guys to begin with, but it was a case of a reporter pulling a few names with Bills' ties out of his backside. If Ralph Wilson is willing to spend for Mike Shanahan, and raise expectations in the process, his 2nd choice isn't going to be a bunch of has-beens or guys who only aspire to be has-beens. Even Ralph isn't that dumb.

I doubt it. Shanahan had a top 10 defense for 7 of his 14 seasons in Denver, including from 2001 to 2004 and they were in the top half of the league in 2005 and 2006. His defense finally fell apart in 2008, but Shanahan's overall defensive track record is actually pretty good.

I doubt they ever had any interest in those guys to begin with, but it was a case of a reporter pulling a few names with Bills' ties out of his backside. If Ralph Wilson is willing to spend for Mike Shanahan, and raise expectations in the process, his 2nd choice isn't going to be a bunch of has-beens or guys who only aspire to be has-beens. Even Ralph isn't that dumb.

Jim Haslett would be more than welcome in Buffalo.

As long as Shanahan brings him in as a d-coordinator.

While Shanahan didn't win any Super Bowls without John Elway, Elway didn't win any without Mike Shanahan, either. He had some of his best seasons under Shanahan, all after he turned 35. Those four years rank 1, 2, 3, and 5 in terms of TD passes in his long career, 1, 3, 4, and 5, in passer rating, etc.

One thing seems certain to me - the Bills are REALLY pissed about their offense. Look at every candidate that's been mentioned, with Shanahan atop the list. They are all really good offensive guys. Even that CFL coach mentioned had success coaching offense in the NFL.

I want entertaining football!! Seems like the Bills do too!!