The Chicken or the Egg

Usually an nfl team will hire a gm first, then the gm decides on who the head coach will be. Many of the top candidates however, are coaches who want to have the gm role as well, Mike Shanahan being one example. If the bills hire a gm first, they might miss out on getting a top coach. On the other hand, the bills may not have a shot at luring in a big name coach, so they would be better off hiring a gm first. So how should the bills handle filling those positions.

If the bills do decide to go after a gm first, I hope they get started now. There are plenty of good guys like Casserly available.

Casserly... pfftt. He was a good field scout a long time ago, but has never cut it a a senior executive. As Texans GM:

2002 4–12

2003 5–11

2004 7–9

2005 2–14

Yes... they were an expansion team, but still that is a crummy record.

He had a spotty record as GM of the Skins, before the Texans. Heath Shuler was a bust... RB Stephen Davis was gold.

To your original post: I agree that many good GMs available. Let's just not use Charlie as an example.

GM first. The GM builds the program. All consistently successful teams have a good program of scouting, drafting and developing quality players.

What's the difference between the Bills of the 90's and the Bills of the last decade? Program. Polian did it in Buffalo and has done the same thing in Indy.

It's not easy to do, but that's what they have to do if they're going to be good again.

Casserly... pfftt. He was a good field scout a long time ago, but has never cut it a a senior executive. As Texans GM:

2002 4–12

2003 5–11

2004 7–9

2005 2–14

Yes... they were an expansion team, but still that is a crummy record.

He had a spotty record as GM of the Skins, before the Texans. Heath Shuler was a bust... RB Stephen Davis was gold.

To your original post: I agree that many good GMs available. Let's just not use Charlie as an example.

Charlie did have the wisest draft in 06 by picking Super Mario over Bush, and a head case in Young, as well as picking Owen Daniels and DeMeco Ryans