An open letter to Ralph Wilson

Cornerville

Dear Mr. Wilson,

It is a fall afternoon and the NFL is in full swing. Many fans around the NFL have different levels of excitement: Some teams are watching their team gear up for a playoff and Super Bowl run, some other fans are watching critical games that go a long way towards determining a playoff spot, and some fans are watching their team grow from the bottom up, and have some excitement about what can be in the upcoming years.

Then there is our football team, the one that you own, the Buffalo Bills. Ralph it is funny, but here in California there are some Bills fans but not many. The people I work with know that I am a ravid Bills fan, and before the year started, they told me 'Your team is the Oakland Raiders of the East Coast' I laughed at that notion. But as each week passes, and I reflect on those comments, I cannot help to think it rings more and more true each passing week.

You hear Bills fans comment all the time, either via the Buffalo News, radio shows, message boards, and bulletin boards off the Freeway. You hear different reasons why this franchise is a mess. You hear that you need to replace Dick Jauron, a nice man but isn't a good NFL Head Coach. You hear that the Offensive Coordinator is the problem, so you fire one and the same problems persist. You hear that the GM is the problem, and you dismiss TD and usher in a new regime, headed by a man who's claim to fame is working with a Major League Baseball franchise who gets about 5000 a game.

You hear the fans cry for a WR, and you sign T.O, making it appear it was a move to improve the team, when it is now clear it was a move to lace your wallets with cash. You opt not to bring back players like Nate Clements, Pat Williams, Ted Washington, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher Jason Peters, and others. Notice a disturbing trend here?

Then you dip into the past, and hire Marv Levy to rekindle the memories of better years past. And Marv provides us with Donte Whitner and extensions for Sieve DE's like Chris Kelsay. Then, in the early part of the decade, you think you find the answer by trading for a QB coming off one brilliant start in the NFL in Rob Johnson and pay him $25 million. Then Doug Flutie comes in as a band aid, and he leaves. Then Drew Bledsoe is in as a big arm QB is needed. Then he was not the answer, and then dink and dunk Kelly Holcumb is the answer. Then he is forgotten about. Then there was a chance to get Big Ben, and that was passed on and enter J.P.Losman. After Losman's career implodes and is now playing for Jim Fassell in the UFL, then you go with a tip from the late great Bill Walsh and Marv Levy and draft a Stanford QB who shows poise, but cannot stay upright for 16 games, and loves checkdowns. We all know how this is turning out.

Ralph, you are 90+ years old, and have been the only owner we have known. Yes, you have done some great things. You are the reason we have a team to root for on Sundays. You are the reason I drive to a Bills bar and watch your team play. You are the reason I have made some friends I have today though watching the Buffalo Bills. But it time for the madness to end.

What is the problem? Is it location? No. Is it the Head Coach? A little. Is it the Offensive and Defensive Coordinators? A little. Is it the talent? A little. Is it the GM? A little. It is a little of everything. But please let's cut right to the core" it is painfully obvious what the real problem is here.

You.

Ralph, the West Coast offense Cover 2, No Huddle, and constant changes in personnel are not going to get the Buffalo Bills back to the playoffs and become a respected franchise again. Philosophy is where this starts. We play in Western New York. Blue collar town. Raw weather. Brash fans. Start here and develop what you want with it.

But here is the real message. You own the team, you make the financial decisions. You root for the team. Stick to that. And here is the strange fact: There is no ONE philosophy that works. This is not about specific examples working and making that the team philosophy. You tried that already by attempting to emulate the St.Louis Rams, and we all know how that worked out.

So forget this talk right now about hiring a new HC, coordinators, getting a new QB, fixing the OL, getting better WR's, getting a better Front 7, or hiring a top GM. Sit back in your chair, and think about what is best for the franchise TOP to bottom. Then from there, hire a NFL GM that fits the philosophy to a tee, and let your NFL GM do his job.

Until then Ralph, if you do not start here, expect the same results. And as a fan of this team going on 27 years now, and as a fan that has spent thousands of dollars and tons of hours on your team, I am ending that for now. Will I still root for the Bills? Of course. But until you show us a philosophy that you can stick to, I will stick it to your wallet.

Get it done.

Sincerely,

Avid Bills fan of 27 years

RW and his handlers are going year to year, leaving not chance for true and meaningful change. As many other posters on this board have pointed out, this franchise has packed it in and simply looking to maximize revenue.

But I digress. This off-season will most likely be another with some spin, cheap FA signings, and draft hype. Except this time it won't work. RW stopped trying to win when it became clear TD wasn't the answer.

My only hope, amidst all of this manure, is that Vic Carucci is right, and that major regime and roster change is coming to the team this offseason.

Until then, my money is best left in my account.

This is not entertainment. It is punishment.

Then from there, hire a NFL GM that fits the philosophy to a tee, and let your NFL GM do his job.

Dude... Russ fits Ralph's philosphy to a tee. It's all about serving up a different flavor koolaid every year. The under 40 crowd loves koolaid and that's where the money is coming from. He can't bull**** the over 40 crowd anymore... they know the difference between koolaid and Dom Perignon.

I like that letter but RW will never see it...and to be honest with you, I dont think RW cares at all.

it really seems like he does not care about our community. or winning. what matters to ralph, like all businessmen is cold hard cash. and he has plenty from your pockets

Ralphs manservant is drawing his bath and fixing him a hot toddy as Ralph looks over the days receipts with glee.

Is that Russ "Mr. Smithers" Brandon? Because Ralph has to be pretty close to being C. Montgomery Burns. I wonder how many times Ralph has asked Smithers to find him Bobby Layne to QB this team. Or perhaps they can get Alex Karras to play DL for them.

Is that Russ "Mr. Smithers" Brandon? Because Ralph has to be pretty close to being C. Montgomery Burns. I wonder how many times Ralph has asked Smithers to find him Bobby Layne to QB this team. Or perhaps they can get Alex Karras to play DL for them.

Perhaps the stadium can start serving that so called "iced cream"!

I agree completly. The Bills bar by my house in Henderson NV is called Johnny Macs. Jim Kelly poster on the wall, wings, pizza, Labatts beer, and Bills games on Sunday. I have removed my Bills plate from my car because I cannot stand the ribbing that I am forced to endur from everyone that sees my car. It is embarassing to be a Bills fan out west because of Ralph Wilson's terrible managemet. He can't run Wilson Enterprises like he runs the Bills; he would not be a millionare. I cannot spend another cent on the Bills or Sabres until the teams owners demonstrate a desire to win and win now. I have spent thousdands of dollars over the last 30 years, and am tired of the losing!

I agree completly. The Bills bar by my house in Henderson NV is called Johnny Macs. Jim Kelly poster on the wall, wings, pizza, Labatts beer, and Bills games on Sunday. I have removed my Bills plate from my car because I cannot stand the ribbing that I am forced to endur from everyone that sees my car. It is embarassing to be a Bills fan out west because of Ralph Wilson's terrible managemet. He can't run Wilson Enterprises like he runs the Bills; he would not be a millionare. I cannot spend another cent on the Bills or Sabres until the teams owners demonstrate a desire to win and win now. I have spent thousdands of dollars over the last 30 years, and am tired of the losing!

The Bills I do understand, but the Sabres..well they are 12-4-1 right now, have a nice young nucleus and appear to be on the way up, do not give up on the Sabres, it is amazing how the Bills can make Regier looks like a genius

Are you aware that the owner has made more than a quarter of a BILLION dollars over the past decade on this so called struggling franchise? You can question Ralph's football acumen but don't question the old man's business talents. His business model might not be satisfactory to you but for him it is working out very well. :(