more on JP and Mularkey

billsburgh

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

Let's suppose MM was stunned by the Train Wreck that is Drew Bledsoe - let's suppose he couldn't fathom that a former #1 overall pick, a guy who is by all accounts highly intelligent and competitive, and who puts in a ton of time watching film and working on his game, was having the Worst Game Ever Played by an NFL Quarterback Since the Babe Laughenberger Era. Let's suppose that a shellshocked MM, after telling Matthews to warm up, finally, irrevocably, once and for all realized that this season, and Bledsoe's career, are Over. Fug it - "Put the Kid in."

Let's suppose that, after the Kid ran around looking shellshocked himself for a couple of drives, MM decided not to name him the starter right away. He's decided to let Drew start (but not finish) one more game. He's decided not to destroy all that's left of Drew's ego by forcing him to watch over and over again on ESPN a story about how Drew's career started and ended in Foxboro, MA. He's gonna let the Big Guy go out with a bit more pride - by declaring that the Kid has had a great week of practice and will see some reps with the First Team against the Rams, praying like hell the Kid does well, and then annointing him the starter. JUST LIKE HE DID WITH McGAHEE - THIS SHOULD NOT BE A SURPRISE.

Lets suppose Losman has been slow to get into the play book thinking that he is just getting healthy and the coach wouldn't possible put him in this early.

Lets suppose that MM has warned Losman to get mentally prepared on more than one occasion. Lets suppose Losman didn't listen to MM.

Under those circumstances, would you still consider MM's move a bad one?

Lets suppose we cut MM some slack.

121545[/snapback]

All just gristle for the new "JV Loserman's Apologists Club"

I'm tired of mulligans. We just came off a 3 yr. mulligan.

And it all stems from TD because he is afraid/threatened by an experienced coach. He doesn't want another Cowher situation here in Buffalo so we are stuck with first time yes men.

121381[/snapback]

You realize, of course, that Cowher was a rookie HC when TD hired him...so by your reasoning it seems like TD should never hire another rookie heac coach based on what happened the first time. :doh:

Lets suppose Losman has been slow to get into the play book thinking that he is just getting healthy and the coach wouldn't possible put him in this early.

Lets suppose that MM has warned Losman to get mentally prepared on more than one occasion. Lets suppose Losman didn't listen to MM.

Under those circumstances, would you still consider MM's move a bad one?

Lets suppose we cut MM some slack.

121545[/snapback]

Good post. Something tells me that this is more like the situation. If you listen to the way Losman is...he's very cocky. I could see him telling the coaching that he's going to read the play book and then toss it aside and play video games. Mularkey would look like a Parcells or Belichick if he did that to Losman as a punishment. Good lesson. I just hope/wish it is true.

Let's suppose MM was stunned by the Train Wreck that is Drew Bledsoe - let's suppose he couldn't fathom that a former #1 overall pick, a guy who is by all accounts highly intelligent and competitive, and who puts in a ton of time watching film and working on his game, was having the Worst Game Ever Played by an NFL Quarterback Since the Babe Laughenberger Era.  Let's suppose that a shellshocked MM, after telling Matthews to warm up, finally, irrevocably, once and for all realized that this season, and Bledsoe's career, are Over.  Fug it - "Put the Kid in." 

Let's suppose that, after the Kid ran around looking shellshocked himself for a couple of drives, MM decided not to name him the starter right away.  He's decided to let Drew start (but not finish) one more game.  He's decided not to destroy all that's left of Drew's ego by forcing him to watch over and over again on ESPN a story about how Drew's career started and ended in Foxboro, MA.  He's gonna let the Big Guy go out with a bit more pride - by declaring that the Kid has had a great week of practice and will see some reps with the First Team against the Rams, praying like hell the Kid does well, and then annointing him the starter.  JUST LIKE HE DID WITH McGAHEE - THIS SHOULD NOT BE A SURPRISE.

121575[/snapback]

Even better. I hope this is true. :doh:

Losman, the competitor he is, could have giving Mularkey an earful on the sideline. "Coach, what's wrong with you?!?! Get Drew out of there!!! He sucks!!!"

Mularkey: "Alright, kid, you think you could do better?!?!? Get in there Losman."

I like it. It teaches Losman to always be ready.

We aren't close enough to the situation to know if this is even true, or if it is, why MM did it. There could have been plenty of understandable reasons he did it, so why even worry about it?

You realize, of course, that Cowher was a rookie HC when TD hired him...so by your reasoning it seems like TD should never hire another rookie heac coach based on what happened the first time.  :doh:

121599[/snapback]

By my reasoning after wasting three years with Greggy it wasn't time for another rookie head coach to be coming to this team. They have a veteran defense that needs to win now, along with the veteran qb who TD has attached his cart too. To win now you don't bring in another inexperienced coach so he can learn for three years. MM may turn out to be great and he might suck, I don't want to wait again until he fiqures out wtf he's doing.

How about this more sinister -- and overly cynical -- possibility:

MM knows that based on DB's performance that he is going to hear all week long questions about why JP isn't starting. Thus, he muddies the kid's water by throwing him out on the field in such a confusing fashion -- without giving him time to warm up or work on his confidence. The hope and expectation is that the kid fails miserably (which he does), so that MM can respond, "Well, you saw what happened when JP went out there. He's clearly not ready. Our best chance to win is with Drew." The flaw in MM's reasoning was that he underestimated how fed up Bills fans are with Drew's ineptitude. If we are going to see such lousy play, may as well see it our of our rookie, so he experiences these growing pains before next year.

Cynical I know. But if you review the plays that were called, it's not as if the coaches made ANY attempt to try to ease JP into the game.

How about this more sinister -- and overly cynical -- possibility:

MM knows that based on DB's performance that he is going to hear all week long questions about why JP isn't starting. Thus, he muddies the kid's water by throwing him out on the field in such a confusing fashion -- without giving him time to warm up or work on his confidence. The hope and expectation is that the kid fails miserably (which he does), so that MM can respond, "Well, you saw what happened when JP went out there. He's clearly not ready. Our best chance to win is with Drew." The flaw in MM's reasoning was that he underestimated how fed up Bills fans are with Drew's ineptitude. If we are going to see such lousy play, may as well see it our of our rookie, so he experiences these growing pains before next year.

Cynical I know. But if you review the plays that were called, it's not as if the coaches made ANY attempt to try to ease JP into the game.

121984[/snapback]

Yeah, the coaches want to attempt to ruin their young QBs confidence because they want to start Drew... :lol:

Maybe we should give MM a mulligan here. He is a rookie. We chalk mistakes by rookie players up as "learning experiences." Moreover, the game was out of reach. He had nothing to lose by making any subs. He could have put his mother in as QB, and we'd still be in the same boat today. Maybe MM was trying to see what Losman could do totally cold, off the bench.

Nah, fire him and bring in Weiss ASAP.

121368[/snapback]

I am with you on this one. This is an example of the 'mistakes' a rookie HC will do so I don't think much of it. Look guys, the game was out of hand. If this was at half-time, I would be angry as we still had a chance to pull out a comeback. The mistake was really in delaying the decision to pull DB till so late in the game. It was eminently obvious by the end of the 1Q that DB was playing bad. So instead of helping him defend his manhood in front of fans of his ex-team, MM should have put SM in and see what we could salvage.

Guest BackInDaDay

I don't think it's that uncommon...

This past season I kinda did the same thing.

With our backs against the wall - Toms River just got another 1st down at our 15yd line, we're already down by a score, and it's deep into the 3rd qtr.

I'm intent on swapping out one of my DTs. The kid I was sending in, TJ, was standing beside me, the last time I looked. As the ref is whistling the last play dead, my focus is on the 15yd line as I'm sending TJ in, telling him to 'get in there for Cody'. As he's running to the D huddle, I'm calling Cody over for instruction. Then I hear another coach, my buddy John, yelling, 'What's Oster doing in there?'.

Now David's a good kid, with a bit of a mean streak, and a good O lineman, but he wasn't who I wanted in there. So of course, without missing a beat, I yelled back 'We're getting pushed around out there, John!', and left him in until we stopped them on downs. :lol:

Sorry to kill a good story, but anyone who listened to the radio knew that JP, not Mathews was warming up to go in the game so those Pittsburgh liars can shove it.

I am with you on this one. This is an example of the 'mistakes' a rookie HC will do so I don't think much of it. Look guys, the game was out of hand. If this was at half-time, I would be angry as we still had a chance to pull out a comeback. The mistake was really in delaying the decision to pull DB till so late in the game. It was eminently obvious by the end of the 1Q that DB was playing bad. So instead of helping him defend his manhood in front of fans of his ex-team, MM should have put SM in and see what we could salvage.

122032[/snapback]

Iff MM had pulled Bedsore after the first quarter, then it would be over for him as a starting QB. Getting replaced after the 1st Q when your not injured = BENCHED.

I like it.  It teaches Losman to always be ready.

We aren't close enough to the situation to know if this is even true, or if it is, why MM did it.  There could have been plenty of understandable reasons he did it, so why even worry about it?

121688[/snapback]

Bingo! Who knows what the real story is or the real rationale behind it, but certainly my first reaction upon hearung JP was in with no warning was that it should be a good lesson for the rookie (a lesson I wish someone has taught BJ Hobert) that if you are in uniform you better be prepared to go in.

Who knows how Losman used the enforced downtime of his injury, but this provided him with such a great opportunity to learn to understand NFL offenses and defenses and to get Sam Wyche to download to him, I hope he used his injury time well.

Woah.  This bears some looking into by the WNY media.  Maybe one of the crack reporters can actually break a story for once.

121235[/snapback]

Actually, either Mularkey or Losman addressed this in their post-game comments from Sunday night. I can't remember which one, have to go back and listen. I think it was Losman.....

So JP saying it himself isn't enough  :)  Listen to the mans audio on BB.com.  He says right there they were told Mathews goes in then BANG!  MM pulls that stevestojan.

121292[/snapback]

That was MM's peewee league level decision of the year. Dumb beyond description.

Guest BackInDaDay
That was MM's peewee league level decision of the year.  Dumb beyond description.

122452[/snapback]

Hey! You were at that game? :)