The new Gestapo

Mickey

You've demonstrated your intelligence often on this board. Unless proven otherwise, I refuse to believe this post was made in good faith. Republicans are nazis, how facist is too facist for you? - please.

121326[/snapback]

You need to read the post again. I did not call all Republicans Nazi's, what I did was actually complain about the far right picking on moderate Republicans. If the Club For Growth is somehow representative of all Republicans, it is news to me. I would think that many, many republicans would despise this group as much as I do. I think very highly of John McCain and I have some respect but less so for Arlen Specter. They are republicans.

Why not address the issue of one Republican group actually targeting for destruction other Republicans whose views are not sufficiently extreme? That kind of behaviour is very much the kind of thing the Gestapo did. I am sure there are many dissimilarities between this group and the Gestapo. Cooler uniforms for example. I am concerned however with their tactics and there is no denying what they are doing. Just ask Specter and McCain.

If memory serves me, the primary function of the Gestapo was to keep the Nazi faithful just that, faithful and pure.  Any party members who dared to waiver from the party line risked a date with some piano wire.

Now the Republicans have this 527 group known as "The Club for Growth" which apparently has appointed itself the internal polizei of the Conservative movement, dedicated to rooting out the insufficiently pure of thought.  They devoted their funds to ousting Arlen Specter and tried to recruit a more intellectually pure candidate to run against John McCain.

The good news is that they have had no success in devouring Republican moderates.  The bad news is that they show no signs of running out of cash and will undoubtedly keep trying.

Club for Growth

I find no shortage of examples of groups who would like to see the Republican party move even further to the right.  They are cetainly not balanced out by any groups seeking to move the party back to the middle which leads me to believe that the Party is nowhere near done moving ever rightward.  I think it is an interesting question to ask, just how far to the right will be too far?  That is a question only Republican voters themselves can answer.  Give me some help here guys, how far would be too far for those of you who voted for Bush?

120976[/snapback]

Mickey...

Two words for you to ponder.... Soros, Moore.....

:doh::w00t:

Did you even read the article that you linked to?

121291[/snapback]

Yeah, I sure did. Beyond the Mainstreet Republicans, can you name me any other organizations or groups dedicated to moderate republicans? Take all such groups and compare them to those pushing the party further to the right. Does it look like a balanced situation to you? Club for Growth, as I pointed out, has not won any victories.....yet. They were close to taking out Specter and they aren't going away.

Doesn't exactly jibe with the "big tent" claim does it? Some Republicans are trying to toss other Republicans out of that tent.

Mickey...

Two words for you to ponder....  Soros, Moore.....

:doh:  :w00t:

121403[/snapback]

We can start another thread on Soros and Moore and their effect on the democrats if you like. I am not aware of them trying to get any democrats out of office for not being "liberal" enough during the last election cycle.

I'll ask the question again, how far is too far right? I know there are conservatives who cringe at the Bob Joneses of the world but at the same time, can't possible voter for a democrat because of tax issues or whatever. My question for them is just how much Bob Jonesing can you stand? In fact, it would be a good question for pro-choice republicans like Specter. If you are pro-choice, why are you a member of a party that is seeking to eliminate choice? I suspect that the answer is that on the whole, that particular issue just isn't enough. Well, how much is enough? What else does the pro-choice party have to do to lure pro-choice republicans and what would pro-life republicans have to do to fatally alienate pro-choice republicans?

This isn't a "ha-ha-ha Republicans s#ck" kind of post. I am simply asking a question of republican voters, how right is too far right?

Hmm

Republicans = Nazis

Keep making comments like this and the democratic party will further decline. I just don't understand how naive you people are?

121431[/snapback]

Please point out where I called all Republicans Nazis or explain why you interpret my defense of moderate republicans like McCain and Specter tantamount to calling them Nazis.

I don't at all equate criticism of The Club for Growth as criticism of all republicans because I don't see them as being representative of all republicans. If in fact you do see them as representative of all republicans, please state that clearly, without equivocation and in all future posts I will treat them as representative of the heart and soul of the party and accept all their actions as having been endorsed by a clear majority of the party.

I am simply asking a question of republican voters, how right is too far right?

121416[/snapback]

You wouldn't be asking the question if you didn't know the answer, counselor.

While both parties revile the opponents' vocal extremes, the reality is that there are a lot more REP McCains, Guilianis, Schwartzneggers and DEM Liebermans & Warners than the extremes on either side.

What else does the pro-choice party have to do to lure pro-choice republicans and what would pro-life republicans have to do to fatally alienate pro-choice republicans?

121416[/snapback]

The pro-choice party should recognize that many pro-choice voters are actually against abortion - they just don't think it should be illegal. Convince them the party is the place for them by continuing to support Roe V Wade, but also supporting efforts such as parental notification in the case of minors, banning late-term abortions, etc. Demonstrate that their other efforts (support for specific social programs) would actually reduce the demand for abortions. Make a point of not being the party of abortion at any time, for any reason. Just a thought.

You wouldn't be asking the question if you didn't know the answer, counselor. 

While both parties revile the opponents' vocal extremes, the reality is that there are a lot more REP McCains, Guilianis, Schwartzneggers and DEM Liebermans & Warners than the extremes on either side.

121526[/snapback]

Don't be paranoid, I am asking because I really want to know. This isn't a set up to some sort of home run follow up question. I think the democrats have to do more to attract marginal republicans and beyond changing their position on taxing the rich, I am not sure what will work. So I'm asking. Moreover, it is not a question simply of what the democrats can do to change, I think it also is a question of whether or not the republican party might move so far to the right that they will alienate republican moderates enough for them to consider voting for a democrat. Sooooo..... how far right it too far? I am sure the answer to that is different for every republican depending on how moderate or not so moderate they are.

The pro-choice party should recognize that many pro-choice voters are actually against abortion - they just don't think it should be illegal. Convince them the party is the place for them by continuing to support Roe V Wade, but also supporting efforts such as parental notification in the case of minors, banning late-term abortions, etc. Demonstrate that their other efforts (support for specific social programs) would actually reduce the demand for abortions. Make a point of not being the party of abortion at any time, for any reason. Just a thought.

121542[/snapback]

I thought that Clinton's position that they should be safe, legal and rare said pretty much the same thing. That would be a good issue to explore though, how to put more emphasis on the "rare" idea as opposed to the "legal" idea.

I am sure the answer to that is different for every republican depending on how moderate or not so moderate they are.

121690[/snapback]

That is correct, and you won't get an answer until the actual issues are brought up to vote in the mid term elections in 2006 and the big election in 2008.