OT-terrorists may target VA hospitals?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, first, this belongs on PPP doesn't it?

Next, can we consider the source here?

The headline, on Fox News' site, says this:

"FBI: Al Qaeda May Target VA Hospitals"

read a paragraph down in the AP article:

'Although U.S. authorities say there is no credible intelligence regarding a specific threat against such hospitals, the bulletin said there have been persistent reports of "suspicious activity" at medical facilities throughout the United States.

That includes "possible reconnaissance activities" this year at unspecified military medical facilities in Bethesda, Md., and Aurora, Colo., the bulletin said. Even though later investigation of these two incidents uncovered no links to terrorism, the bulletin urges vigilance at VA hospitals (search) on the part of police and security personnel.'

OK. "No credible intelligence." Investigation "uncovered no links to terrorism."

So really, no indication that these hospitals have been targeted specifically by Al Qaeda has been made. But the headline gets your attention.

Aren't you sick of getting scared for no reason, other than that it keeps us in line, and distracts people from the fact that their constitutional rights are being violated and taken away? For all the talk about how this administration is protecting our freedom, I feel like both Al Qaeda AND this administration are whisking my freedoms away. Both sides use terror, one just uses it in the guise of protecting us and claiming to know what's for our own good. That includes floating stories like this that have no credibility, no backing from real intelligence, just ambiguous warnings.

This is really pissing me off. I have to try and completely avoid groups of people this week just so I don't get arrested walking my dog in Central Park, as I do EVERY DAY, because the city won't let people exercise their right to assemble. In the meantime I am supposed to be on the lookout for threats that may or may not exist based on intelligence from God knows when.

In the meantime, I don't know what to believe, what to be afraid of, and I don't trust hardly anyone.

You mean we're still at war?  Maybe we should try being more sensitive.

9014[/snapback]

What does that have to do with anything?

How about just informing people when it's necessary, when there are credible threats, and ensuring them that they and their rights are protected?

What the !@#$ is sensitive about that? It's called being responsible.

'Although U.S. authorities say there is no credible intelligence regarding a specific threat against such hospitals, the bulletin said there have been persistent reports of "suspicious activity" at medical facilities throughout the United States.

That includes "possible reconnaissance activities" this year at unspecified military medical facilities in Bethesda, Md., and Aurora, Colo., the bulletin said. Even though later investigation of these two incidents uncovered no links to terrorism, the bulletin urges vigilance at VA hospitals (search) on the part of police and security personnel.'

OK.  "No credible intelligence."  Investigation "uncovered no links to terrorism."

So really, no indication that these hospitals have been targeted specifically by Al Qaeda has been made.  But the headline gets your attention.

Aren't you sick of getting scared for no reason, other than that it keeps us in line, and distracts people from the fact that their constitutional rights are being violated and taken away?  For all the talk about how this administration is protecting our freedom, I feel like both Al Qaeda AND this administration are whisking my freedoms away.  Both sides use terror, one just uses it in the guise of protecting us and claiming to know what's for our own good.  That includes floating stories like this that have no credibility, no backing from real intelligence, just ambiguous warnings.

This is really pissing me off.  I have to try and completely avoid groups of people this week just so I don't get arrested walking my dog in Central Park, as I do EVERY DAY, because the city won't let people exercise their right to assemble.  In the meantime I am supposed to be on the lookout for threats that may or may not exist based on intelligence from God knows when.

In the meantime, I don't know what to believe, what to be afraid of, and I don't trust hardly anyone.

9012[/snapback]

Take the tin hat off. Relax and breathe. I know the state facility in Gowanda is closed but there maybe some place closer to you that you can check into. Is the facility in Rome still open? Some serious medication maybe in order.

How about just informing people when it's necessary, when there are credible threats, and ensuring them that they and their rights are protected?

What the !@#$ is sensitive about that?  It's called being responsible.

9017[/snapback]

Way to take a sarcastic remark out of context. <_<

9017[/snapback]

So if the admin doesn't say something, and something happens, it's their fault.

But if they say something and nothing happens, we are stressing your little brain out, and you can't handle that. Maybe your mommy can rub your tummy and make you feel better.

OK.  "No credible intelligence."  Investigation "uncovered no links to terrorism."

So really, no indication that these hospitals have been targeted specifically by Al Qaeda has been made.  But the headline gets your attention.

Aren't you sick of getting scared for no reason, other than that it keeps us in line, and distracts people from the fact that their constitutional rights are being violated and taken away?  For all the talk about how this administration is protecting our freedom, I feel like both Al Qaeda AND this administration are whisking my freedoms away.  Both sides use terror, one just uses it in the guise of protecting us and claiming to know what's for our own good.  That includes floating stories like this that have no credibility, no backing from real intelligence, just ambiguous warnings.

This is really pissing me off.  I have to try and completely avoid groups of people this week just so I don't get arrested walking my dog in Central Park, as I do EVERY DAY, because the city won't let people exercise their right to assemble.  In the meantime I am supposed to be on the lookout for threats that may or may not exist based on intelligence from God knows when.

9012[/snapback]

Well, why don't we just wait for an attack. Then we can say "whoa, didn't see that coming."

I do not have a problem with this. The headline said "may," which follows along with the article saying "possible recon." Just because there are no existing links, does not mean that it cannot happen. Look at Oklahoma City. How many terrorist ties were there?

Intelligence gathering is not black and white.

Headlines are written to get you to read the story. Always been that way, always will be that way. It got you to read the story, didn't it?

Why do people feel the need to post these topics here and not the PPP board? 

What is wrong with the PPP board?

9032[/snapback]

Maybe the PPP regulars are on a membership recruitment drive, so they post some of their drivel here, hoping to find some suckers to come to the dark side of TBD. Maybe they can bring in Goldie & Mike who are long gone from their Channel 17 begging days to help. <_<

So if the admin doesn't say something, and something happens, it's their fault.

But if they say something and nothing happens, we are stressing your little brain out, and you can't handle that.  Maybe your mommy can rub your tummy and make you feel better.

9041[/snapback]

I guess you can't handle the fact that your supreme leader traffics in fear and depends on it for his re-election. Maybe you could address my post legitmately instead of using insults. But I guess I just can't understand your supreme reason. Oops, my 'little brain' hurts.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I guess you can't handle the fact that your supreme leader traffics in fear and depends on it for his election.  Maybe you could address my post legitmately instead of using insults.  But I guess I just can't understand your supreme reason.  Oops, my 'little brain' hurts.

9076[/snapback]

So if the administration doesn't release any further threat info, you're okay with that. Even if it means someone nukes Central Park while you are walking in it. You would rather me fat dumb and happy going about your life without a worry in the world?

Me I would rather know something, so I can make informaaed decisions as to whether or not to put my family in jepordy to go get the sinus medicine, I don't really need.

I guess you can't handle the fact that your supreme leader traffics in fear and depends on it for his election.  Maybe you could address my post legitmately instead of using insults.  But I guess I just can't understand your supreme reason.  Oops, my 'little brain' hurts.

9076[/snapback]

I agree that this should get moved to PPP. And, as you have strong feelings about it-you should come over and discuss them. You started in with a pretty vehement response about having your rights taken away. You obviously have some issues here. We'd be interested in hearing your story.

9017[/snapback]

It never occurred to you that maybe the media's blowing the whole thing out of proportion, in search for a juicy story? I don't see where they "issued a warning"...they advised law enforcement of the possibility. Looks like the reporters read the bulletin and said "Hey, let's make this a story!"

It never occurred to you that maybe the media's blowing the whole thing out of proportion, in search for a juicy story?  I don't see where they "issued a warning"...they advised law enforcement of the possibility.  Looks like the reporters read the bulletin and said "Hey, let's make this a story!"

9098[/snapback]

Tom that would never happen. Don't you know a reporters job is to tell the story not create it.

So if the administration doesn't release any further threat info, you're okay with that.  Even if it means someone nukes Central Park while you are walking in it.

9088[/snapback]

If someone nukes Central Park while I am walking in it, the likeliest of situations to be sure, please, give me a call. I wouldn't want to be a mile away where I would also get nuked. Thanks for your concern.

Look, I understand heightened alert. I know what it's about. But releasing the threat info can be damaging, as

1) it pinpoints what our response to the situation would be and may even make it easier for terrorists to figure out what holes might exist in that response

2) it freaks people out unnecessarily. If you don't live in NYC you may not understand. Comments like "stop whining" don't cut it.

I would rather not know about the threats, or just have a general idea of what can happen, which we generally do, and we look out for things, instead of specific false alarms, which if you know your children's stories generally make people complacent and unprepared when the 'real alarm' comes. Not to mention that the last false alarm cost this city a lot.

It never occurred to you that maybe the media's blowing the whole thing out of proportion, in search for a juicy story?  I don't see where they "issued a warning"...they advised law enforcement of the possibility.  Looks like the reporters read the bulletin and said "Hey, let's make this a story!"

9098[/snapback]

Didn't you know? The current administration controls the media. Well, except if you ask everyone in the business who doesn't work at Fox. They'll tell you the current Administration only controls Fox.

It's really hard to tell what's true. [/sarcasm]

9098[/snapback]

I think that's exactly what happened. We're in agreement here. But the story got from the FBI to the AP. The FBI doesn't have to share this information if it doesn't want to.