What's with all the negative vibes?

mikeyarch

As a new poster, I feel obligated to start with my pedigree. Skip this part if you don't give a damn.

I have been a Bills' fan since birth, for almost 49 years. I still have the ol' man's season tickets in row 6 section of the upper deck on about the 48 yardline, even though I live 450 miles away. He bought them the year Rich opened after having tix at the Rockpile for 4 or 5 years before that. I have attended at least 75 games in person, plus another ten or so versus the Jets at the Meadowlands. My son, the second biggest living Bills' fan, lives in Buffalo now after attending UB. He uses the tickets 6 or 7 times a year and my wife and I make the journey once or twice a year to see a home game. (This season it was Columbus Day weekend. Sheesh.) I drew an OJ jersey on a white t-shirt with blue and red magic marker when I was a little kid. My mother wanted to punish me but my father forbade it. I could go on....

Now to my point. I have been reading this board for a couple of years off and on and joined as a member a little while back. What I notice more than anything is the negative vibe that most Buffalo fans project, whether it be about the draft, our chances, our coach, our owner, our QB's, etc. I know that the team has its issues with all of the items listed above and many more, and I know that the greater Buffalo area has seen better days, but I wonder what would happen if the average fan tried thinking good thoughts on game day instead of the same old pessimism that hangs like a cloud over this team and has for decades. I almost seems like some of us are fans so we guarantee we will have something to moan about. Hell, I bet if you polled all the Bills' fans watching those Superbowls whether they thought Norwood was making that kick or whether we could hold the lead after halftime against Dallas, the answer would be a resounding "NO". The power of mass-positive thinking should not be overlooked.

Just an observation. Feel free to comment. I'll am taking off my rose colored glasses.

Hell, I bet if you polled all the Bills' fans watching those Superbowls whether they thought Norwood was making that kick or whether we could hold the lead after halftime against Dallas, the answer would be a resounding "NO".
Wrong, if you polled Bills fans during SB25, everyone hoped, wished,expected Norwood to make that kick, thats why to this day it is the most painful moment in a Bills fans life, and there has been plenty.

As a new poster, I feel obligated to start with my pedigree. Skip this part if you don't give a damn.

I have been a Bills' fan since birth, for almost 49 years. I still have the ol' man's season tickets in row 6 section of the upper deck on about the 48 yardline, even though I live 450 miles away. He bought them the year Rich opened after having tix at the Rockpile for 4 or 5 years before that. I have attended at least 75 games in person, plus another ten or so versus the Jets at the Meadowlands. My son, the second biggest living Bills' fan, lives in Buffalo now after attending UB. He uses the tickets 6 or 7 times a year and my wife and I make the journey once or twice a year to see a home game. (This season it was Columbus Day weekend. Sheesh.) I drew an OJ jersey on a white t-shirt with blue and red magic marker when I was a little kid. My mother wanted to punish me but my father forbade it. I could go on....

Now to my point. I have been reading this board for a couple of years off and on and joined as a member a little while back. What I notice more than anything is the negative vibe that most Buffalo fans project, whether it be about the draft, our chances, our coach, our owner, our QB's, etc. I know that the team has its issues with all of the items listed above and many more, and I know that the greater Buffalo area has seen better days, but I wonder what would happen if the average fan tried thinking good thoughts on game day instead of the same old pessimism that hangs like a cloud over this team and has for decades. I almost seems like some of us are fans so we guarantee we will have something to moan about. Hell, I bet if you polled all the Bills' fans watching those Superbowls whether they thought Norwood was making that kick or whether we could hold the lead after halftime against Dallas, the answer would be a resounding "NO". The power of mass-positive thinking should not be overlooked.

Just an observation. Feel free to comment. I'll am taking off my rose colored glasses.

A lot of the negativity is a pretty natural expression at frustration at being 0 for a decade under Mr. Ralph's team ownership. I think its most virulent form is stoked by the local media where folks like WGR and the Buffalo News and Sully make more nickles by yelling loudly to do things like fire Jauron (who does deserve to go for anyone who wants more than a 7-9 record) and then simply chose to ignore the fact he can only be actually blamed for a third of this record of mission not accomplished.

My sense is that if the media leadership around this team set a more real world standard of holding fault for real things but also remembering praise for real things (Mr. Ralph kept the team here when there was more money to be made elsewhere) but also honest about the real problems (he has exercised his capitalistic right to make decisions simply wrong handshake deal with Kelly leading to the neverending chase for the next Jimbo, his mismanagement of relationships with Polian/Butler/TD, etc).

Instead of an honest fair and balanced read on things, instead its gets replaced by loud negativity on Jauron and other things that will not solve the problem.

u r right about the negativity. free will though. skip the negative crap and you will find some positive posters here and there.

i am one of them.

the love of a team is like love for a family.

u love them. but sometimes they mess up/do something they shouldnt have or what have you. but then u love them again once everything is cool again. like right now i am happy with the bills. if they lose the next 6 in a row, i probably will call it a season and move on for a while. then come back before draft.. but sometimes i say stuff that i dont actually go through with. whatever. welcome aboard!

I am with you Mikey, we may not be world beaters currently but I for one am thrilled we won Sunday!

i agree with the post, first things first, we might as well all go and vote jaurons approval rating to 100%, never hurts to try the opposite of what isnt working, it worked for george costanza

That wasn't my point, although I think you already know that. Jauron is definitely an inferior coach, but wishing the team does well in spite of him instead of erecting billboards calling for his head seems like the kinder gentler approach. GThe record shows how well the "Bills suck" attitude has been working.

That wasn't my point, although I think you already know that. Jauron is definitely an inferior coach, but wishing the team does well in spite of him instead of erecting billboards calling for his head seems like the kinder gentler approach. GThe record shows how well the "Bills suck" attitude has been working.

the "jauron sucks" attitude hasnt been working either, it hasnt gotten him fired so if were going to have a bad coach we might as well make him #1 in approval ratings.....maybe he will get wind of it and change his ways lol

From last March:

The nitpickers who are trying to deconstruct the entire original post syllable by syllable are missing the point IMO.

I believe the point being made here is that it seems like there is a bias towards negativity on this message board. I would say that there is.

Is it justified? The team has been futile for a very long time. Mediocrity with a few high water marks has been the history of this franchise.

That being said, I think the negativity and criticism of the team and the acrimony amongst the people who follow the team is a bit over the top and unwarranted. I understand it so some degree but it's kind of sad.

As the saying goes, "it takes 37 muscles to frown but only 22 muscles to smile."

Yes the team has kinda sucked but there's also a lot of people here who'd rather be miserable and unhappy than focus on the positives. To those people I say, I hope your lives and families are not the same way.

Guest dog14787
From last March:

I think that most folks equate negativity with loses and you can even see a shift now, two wins, more positive energy and if we keep winning, who knows, all could be well in the land of the Buffalo by the bye.

From last February:

I actually believe that every organization has a karma or a zeitgeist that is partly determined by it's people, which includes the fans.

I choose to feel that a lot of what we portray and the type of energy we exude as Bills fans has an effect on how others perceive the Bills. And I'm not speaking metaphysically either. I mean in a real and measurable way.

Players are fans too. They read stuff and talk about other teams. Members of the media also read message boards. Tim Graham does for example and I believe most broadcasters/journalists do also.

Whether or not you buy my assertion that players/reporters read message boards, there's a trickle down or trickle up effect that connects the established media sources with the grass roots feelings towards a team. For instance, many NFL fans know that Bills fans are fed up. Logically then so do many players.

Our fans are maybe not any different from other pissed off fans. But why should we adopt the standards of behavior of others?

As such, I think it's better to keep the criticism constructive and intelligent. Fair and purposeful. I certainly don't come here to wallow in negativity, despair or defeatism. That's for losers to do.

People who are purveyors of those products really need to look in the mirror and consider if their unhappiness stems from football or elsewhere and if this negativity is affecting other things outside of football in their lives.

The attitude of the fans has nothing to do with how many games they win or lose. If it does, this franchise is in even more trouble than it appears.

The fans, as much as it may insult your sensibilities, are the best thing this franchise has going for it. Your "kinder gentle approach" has not done anything... if the fans feel that they can affect change, from the owner, than they are right to be as negative as they want to be. This whole notion that Jerry Sullivan and GR55 are somehow encouraging negativity amongst fans is, in a word, ridiculous. One simply has to pay attention. It would be impossible to feel good, overall, about the state of this franchise.

Many of us have the same pedigree as you, as Bills fans... I barely read the News articles the last two or three years, and rarely listen to GR55 anymore. Not because they are too negative, but because disecting the Buffalo Bills franchise ineptness, in nearly every facet, is, well...depressing. I love this team as much as anyone....I have missed exactly 1 game over the last 22 years (the 1989 road debacle where Kelly got hurt, against the Colts), since moving away from WNY, and held season tickets before that. It wasn't always as easy to see Bills games when you lived out of their market...not every bar showed them. I drove many miles to watch games...spent countless dollars on following this team....I am sure there are 100's here who have the same story...I resent being lectured by others that I am too negative about the team...

I just want to see the owner, the coaches, and players, care as much as I do about how they represent Buffalo... I don't think the franchises' dedication and desire toward winning is a tenth of what the passion of its' fans... if you can be positive, and filter out all the garbage with this team, I sincerely respect that...I envy it...I miss being able to do that...but it isn't going to stop me from driving to some watering hole every Sunday to watch the team. I have never rooted for them to lose (that is insane), and I love it when they win...I just want to see them win more than they lose....

I think Jauron is changing already. He wore a Belichick-like sweatshirt on the sidelines Sunday, and I actually saw him clapping once.

For Dick, that is an emotional outburst.

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Here, let me be the first to bouy everyone's spirits! I believe that due to his age, Ralph Wilson will revamp the entire organization, top to bottom. Armed with a new front office and Head Coach and staff, the Bills will parlay this new era into nearly instant success. The Offensive Line will mature with this season behind them and the draft will allow for a harvest of top notch talent, including the next GREAT signal-caller, we've all been waiting on for a decade and a half!! Thus, armed with a retooled offense and 3-4 defense, the Bills make noise as the next "up and coming" franchise with a playoff berth and 1st round (divisional) victory. Bills fans unite, and the way will be clear to start feeling proud, yet again!! GO BILLS!!!!

...I resent being lectured by others that I am too negative about the team...

There seem to be a few guilty consciences out there. You have one of them. How me simply telling a brief bit of my history in my first ever post so as not to be mistaken for some 12 year old kid or encouraging Bills' fans to think positively equates to "lecturing", I can't figure out.

hey, kid...my dad took me to the parade to welcome the bills into town and I watched many a Jack Kemp/Darryl Lamonica and Elbert Dubenion and Cookie Gilchrist games. I've been positive when the bills looked positive or at least on the right track. Right now they suck. A little less than they did the last few weeks but they still haven't beaten anyone good nor have they shown an offense that can win in the NFL.

Going into the bye week 4 and 4 and my spirits will rise. My spirits don't soar unless we make the playoffs. Norwood's miss in SB 25 seared a hole into my heart. I hoped he would make it. Actually is not a "gimme" field goal by any means.

The attitude of the fans has nothing to do with how many games they win or lose. If it does, this franchise is in even more trouble than it appears.

The fans, as much as it may insult your sensibilities, are the best thing this franchise has going for it. Your "kinder gentle approach" has not done anything... if the fans feel that they can affect change, from the owner, than they are right to be as negative as they want to be. This whole notion that Jerry Sullivan and GR55 are somehow encouraging negativity amongst fans is, in a word, ridiculous. One simply has to pay attention. It would be impossible to feel good, overall, about the state of this franchise.

Many of us have the same pedigree as you, as Bills fans... I barely read the News articles the last two or three years, and rarely listen to GR55 anymore. Not because they are too negative, but because disecting the Buffalo Bills franchise ineptness, in nearly every facet, is, well...depressing. I love this team as much as anyone....I have missed exactly 1 game over the last 22 years (the 1989 road debacle where Kelly got hurt, against the Colts), since moving away from WNY, and held season tickets before that. It wasn't always as easy to see Bills games when you lived out of their market...not every bar showed them. I drove many miles to watch games...spent countless dollars on following this team....I am sure there are 100's here who have the same story...I resent being lectured by others that I am too negative about the team...

I just want to see the owner, the coaches, and players, care as much as I do about how they represent Buffalo... I don't think the franchises' dedication and desire toward winning is a tenth of what the passion of its' fans... if you can be positive, and filter out all the garbage with this team, I sincerely respect that...I envy it...I miss being able to do that...but it isn't going to stop me from driving to some watering hole every Sunday to watch the team. I have never rooted for them to lose (that is insane), and I love it when they win...I just want to see them win more than they lose....

you are 100% right. we're the consumers of this product and we've been bent over by the ownership for way too long. i don't think i can ever forgive ralph wilson for moving a home game to toronto...and i LOVE toronto. but it is just so disrespectful to the fans that made him filthy rich. but i digress.

we are negative because we have many good reasons to be negative. i am up to almost 40 years with this team and never have i had a stronger feeling that the people running the organization don't give a damn about winning...as long as the tickets are sold, they've met their objective and the fans can eat ****.