Does Ralph owe us a real hire?

billsfan89

After such a long period of futility being fueled in part by the owners inability to hire a real proven head coach doesn't Ralph owe us as fans to make a drastic change with this team.

Part one to the equation does he owe us? Absolutely we have missed the playoffs for a decade and Ralph's way (His own pawns as GM and the one real GM was TD a failure and no name coaches) hasn't worked and to quote the late great Owen Hart "Enough is Enough its time for a change". He owes us a new approach you know real coaches that other teams want or proven records of winning and GM's with experience in football.

Part two to the equation does it make no sense not to? If DJ gets replaced by a no-name unwanted coordinator and Russ stays as GM will the fans renew their season tickets? I don't live in the Buffalo area so I don't buy tickets but If I did live in the area I would likely go to 2-4 games a year but If Russ stays and the coach is a no-name unwanted coordinator than I know I wouldn't want to buy tickets to see the team.

Hey Ralph you want to sell some season tickets hire Gruden or Marty Schotenheimer guys who put up the W's in the NFL before. You should hire a real GM (Chris Polian comes to mind) a guy that know's how to build a team. In the long run if you spend the extra 6 million or so for a coach now the product overall will be better and you will make more money. Ralph stop being penny wise and dollar stupid.

So both in the long term and the short term hiring a real coach and GM makes sense and will make this team better. So does Ralph owe us and why is he so stuck to doing things his way?

The quick answer is Ralph doesn't owe us anything.

I get the point though. If Ralph wants to make the most money he can with this team, then he needs to put a winning product on the field. Coaching is important, but not just the head - we need coordinators, skill position coaches, conditioning coaches, the works. That is the job of a GM. Above all, Ralph Wilson needs to hire a quality GM and stop interfering with team affairs.

You mean like bumping someone up to General Manager from within ? Maybe looking to Canada for a Head Coach ?

Polian and Levy were pretty badly received when each was hired.... the problem with Ralph is that crazy piece of business worked. Nothing he's done since has been any stranger.

...Part two to the equation does it make no sense not to? If DJ gets replaced by a no-name unwanted coordinator and Russ stays as GM will the fans renew their season tickets?...

Sadly, yes they do. Brandon knows how to do just enough to keep the stadium sold out most weeks. At his age, it's also painfully obvious that Wilson has no intention of handing control over to a "Shottenheimer-Gruden-Shannahan-Cowher type of high profile expensive successful coach as his head coach or perhaps GM. This is not to say he won't fire Jauron and all of his coaches by the end of this sorry season - he will. But I don't believe he will blow up his management team or get rid of Russ Brandon at all.

There's always a chance the inner circle jerks can strike gold with a young unproven coordinator from the NFL or head coach out of college that fits into the Bills' budget and figures out how to win right away with the players he's given. But I'm afraid that's the very best we can expect from our Buffalo Bills as we now know them, until Ralph loses his mental capacities or dies. And then who knows if we'll even have a prayer of having the Buffalo Bills to cheer for at all?

In my opinion the only marketing ploy left available to Brandon at this point is the marquee coach. An unproven coordinator as head coach or TO like FA signing will simply not get it done from a business standpoint. If the new coach is another Williams, Mularkey or Jauron type hire then I see at minimum a 30% drop in season ticket sales next year. The fans have lost all hope, the only thing that can return even a glimmer of hope to this sad sack franchise is a complete overhaul of the front office and coaching staff.

Ralph doesn't owe us anything.

But you can see that this is eating a hole in Ralph. He hates it as much as we do.

He owes it to himself.

I think Ralph owes the fans a different approach with this team. Putting more money into this team's off field development (GM scouts, head and assistant coaches ect.) would show the fans (especially the fans that pay to see this team) that Ralph hates to see this team in its current shape.

I don't doubt Ralph hates it but what is he going to do about it? The same old same old cheap hires or is he going to change an approach that has failed for the last 10 years. I don't think Ralph owes us a Gruden type coach necessarily but he owes us a real different effort that involves changing the way this team generally operates.

I think Ralph owes the fans a different approach with this team. Putting more money into this team's off field development (GM scouts, head and assistant coaches ect.) would show the fans (especially the fans that pay to see this team) that Ralph hates to see this team in its current shape.

I don't doubt Ralph hates it but what is he going to do about it? The same old same old cheap hires or is he going to change an approach that has failed for the last 10 years. I don't think Ralph owes us a Gruden type coach necessarily but he owes us a real different effort that involves changing the way this team generally operates.

Expect to see a rather modest change at the end of this year. DJ and most of his staff goes, the FO stays the same, and they bring in a younger, more aggressive talking coach. Call him Gregg Williams II. Back to the fog horns at training camp, etc. If by some miracle we reach 8-8 this year, expect DJ back as coach.

After such a long period of futility being fueled in part by the owners inability to hire a real proven head coach doesn't Ralph owe us as fans to make a drastic change with this team.

Part one to the equation does he owe us? Absolutely we have missed the playoffs for a decade and Ralph's way (His own pawns as GM and the one real GM was TD a failure and no name coaches) hasn't worked and to quote the late great Owen Hart "Enough is Enough its time for a change". He owes us a new approach you know real coaches that other teams want or proven records of winning and GM's with experience in football.

Part two to the equation does it make no sense not to? If DJ gets replaced by a no-name unwanted coordinator and Russ stays as GM will the fans renew their season tickets? I don't live in the Buffalo area so I don't buy tickets but If I did live in the area I would likely go to 2-4 games a year but If Russ stays and the coach is a no-name unwanted coordinator than I know I wouldn't want to buy tickets to see the team.

Hey Ralph you want to sell some season tickets hire Gruden or Marty Schotenheimer guys who put up the W's in the NFL before. You should hire a real GM (Chris Polian comes to mind) a guy that know's how to build a team. In the long run if you spend the extra 6 million or so for a coach now the product overall will be better and you will make more money. Ralph stop being penny wise and dollar stupid.

So both in the long term and the short term hiring a real coach and GM makes sense and will make this team better. So does Ralph owe us and why is he so stuck to doing things his way?

Ralph is senile, Ralph is cheap, Ralph is self severing, Ralph is probably two dozen more things. Ralph does not owe anyone, anything but his self. He has kept the BILLS in BUFFALO way to long. If it was all about $$$$$, he would have left a long time ago.

At 91 yrs old do you really think that he's worried about making MONEY. The SKINS owner, spends alot money are his results any better then the bills. As a kid, I remember going to the ball diamond for a pick up game. When the kid who owned the Bat & Ball went home the game was over. Ralph should pick his Ball up and go home. He should not be the whipping boy for TWO BILLS DRIVE. There has been plenty of offers to buy the BILLS, He didn't even listen too most of them. After 50 yrs of ownership, don't tell

me he not a BUFFALO IAN. So after 50 yrs, let string the OLD SENILE, CHEAP BASTARD UP. GO too hell, to all you that want him out of BUFFALO. I can remember when we were watching NY GAINTS in a EXHIBITION GAME @ Civic Stadium, that was PRO FOOTBALL,in BUFFALO, before Ralph, MADE the BUFFALO BILLS. I've been a BILLS for 50 yrs,and will be till they Move.

I'm not going to say that Ralph doesn't care about winning. Of course he'd rather own a winning team,

as long as he doesn't have to risk very much money on top quality coaches/gm.

Ralph is a businessman and like the overwhelming majority of businessmen he cares about the bottom line

far more than how the bottom line is achieved.

Furthermore I think that Ralph operates according to the following saying:

It is immoral to allow suckers to keep their money. --"Canada Bill" Jones

Ralph is senile, Ralph is cheap, Ralph is self severing, Ralph is probably two dozen more things. Ralph does not owe anyone, anything but his self. He has kept the BILLS in BUFFALO way to long. If it was all about $$$$$, he would have left a long time ago.

At 91 yrs old do you really think that he's worried about making MONEY. The SKINS owner, spends alot money are his results any better then the bills. As a kid, I remember going to the ball diamond for a pick up game. When the kid who owned the Bat & Ball went home the game was over. Ralph should pick his Ball up and go home. He should not be the whipping boy for TWO BILLS DRIVE. There has been plenty of offers to buy the BILLS, He didn't even listen too most of them. After 50 yrs of ownership, don't tell

me he not a BUFFALO IAN. So after 50 yrs, let string the OLD SENILE, CHEAP BASTARD UP. GO too hell, to all you that want him out of BUFFALO. I can remember when we were watching NY GAINTS in a EXHIBITION GAME @ Civic Stadium, that was PRO FOOTBALL,in BUFFALO, before Ralph, MADE the BUFFALO BILLS. I've been a BILLS for 50 yrs,and will be till they Move.

I like Ralph as an owner he isn't about the money he is about the team. Ralph wants to win but he seems to think his way is successful and the only way to do things (Hiring Levy and Polian worked out) but it hasn't worked in recent years so its time for a change.

All in all Ralph is a good owner but he has a penchant with hiring GM's and coaches to be penny smart and dollar stupid. Had Ralph hired a good GM in 2006 and a good coach we would be in much better shape (Maybe we would have drafted Nagta and Mangold and more players would have developed under a better staff).

Saying Ralph owes us isn't a slight against Ralph its just's he needs to change a loosing approach. For the last 10 years Ralph has had his way and what have we seen not much. If he is stubborn than the fans who support his product will suffer and may stop supporting his product. So take it easy I like Ralph its just because he kept this team here for so long doesn't mean he is perfect.

So relax I know what Ralph has done for this franchise and know that he is one of the better owners in the league. its just we as fans need to know he is committed to winning even if it means doing something that Ralph doesn't like to do (Give over full control to a real GM and hire a proven coach).

I believe Ralph thought/thinks Jauron and Brandon were the best men for the job at the time or he wouldn't have hired them. Finding the right coach is as much luck as it is about knowing who to hire. Bellichick was a failure in Cleveland and has turned out well in NE. Johnson won two SBs in Dallas and didn't do much of anything in Miami. Levy did nothing in KC but worked out well in Buffalo. Its pretty much a crap shoot. Williams, Mularkey were the coordinators at the time. I'm thinking Ralph thought all of those hires were a good idea. None of them have worked out since Levy.

Ralph owes no one but himself. If I were him, I would be trying to right the ship as quickly as possible as I would like to see my team win a SB before I passed on in to the great stadium in the sky. Maybe he doesn't think that way. I am fairly certain that money isn't the problem that the media keeps saying it is. If Ralph thought Cowher, Shanahan, etc were the very best coach for the job I don't think the money would be a problem. The fact is there is no guarantee in whomever is hired to be the coach. In fact an unknown probably has a better chance than someone who has already had success.

I believe Ralph thought/thinks Jauron and Brandon were the best men for the job at the time or he wouldn't have hired them. Finding the right coach is as much luck as it is about knowing who to hire. Bellichick was a failure in Cleveland and has turned out well in NE. Johnson won two SBs in Dallas and didn't do much of anything in Miami. Levy did nothing in KC but worked out well in Buffalo. Its pretty much a crap shoot. Williams, Mularkey were the coordinators at the time. I'm thinking Ralph thought all of those hires were a good idea. None of them have worked out since Levy.

Ralph owes no one but himself. If I were him, I would be trying to right the ship as quickly as possible as I would like to see my team win a SB before I passed on in to the great stadium in the sky. Maybe he doesn't think that way. I am fairly certain that money isn't the problem that the media keeps saying it is. If Ralph thought Cowher, Shanahan, etc were the very best coach for the job I don't think the money would be a problem. The fact is there is no guarantee in whomever is hired to be the coach. In fact an unknown probably has a better chance than someone who has already had success.

Obviously Ralph thought Jauron was a good fit for the job but Ralph has missed big on the last 3 hires (Gregg Williams, Mularky, and now DJ) and 4 if you include Philips and maybe needs to do something differently because the results clearly point to his ability to hire a Coaching staff and Front office haven't been good recently. This job isn't the most appealing in recent years but the fact that Ralph doesn't seem to put big offers out on the table doesn't help the situation either.

I guess my point is should it just be business as usual with Ralph? Is enough enough I mean Ralph has made enough bad moves in recent years to rethink his approach with coaches and the Front office. Does he owe us a new approach as fans of his team (As I said in a previous post I still think he is a good owner)? I think he does owe us because to repeat what has failed just isn't right.