Penalties

for all divisions of football from pee-wee up to the NFL level? It seems to me they are. It is funny they can penalize a player for celebrating 1 touchdown out of 7 or 8 he may score all year because it intimidates and slows the game down: but, they can throw 20 flags in a game and slow it down and kill ryhtmn and such. I know the sport needs some sort of accountability but come on. Did any see the Nebraska/Virginia Tech game when Nebraska had a 1st and goal and then had to punt from the 40 some odd yard line? The NFL and all divisions need to muffle the refs and let the players celebrate a lil. After all they are spending their lives entertaining us. The stupid refs penalize us as well. Time to "Nip it in the bud". :bag::):wub:

Thought I'd bump this thread for Sunday.

Also because I can't forget the "roughing the snapper" penalty called yesterday on Washington's FG attempt. Apparently in college, you are no longer allowed to attempt the block a FG is it causes you to touch the center. :lol:

Thought I'd bump this thread for Sunday.

Also because I can't forget the "roughing the snapper" penalty called yesterday on Washington's FG attempt. Apparently in college, you are no longer allowed to attempt the block a FG is it causes you to touch the center. :lol:

That one is kind of legitimate; snapper has his head down and is really vulnerable. You can't plow into him, or else a lot of these guys will have broken necks.

That one is kind of legitimate; snapper has his head down and is really vulnerable. You can't plow into him, or else a lot of these guys will have broken necks.

I agree it's a legit rule to have, but did you see the play that he was referencing in the ND game? It was just a stupid call where there was no penalty, and to make that call with the ball on the 2 yard line, in the 4th qtr, to give the team an automatic first down is a massive game changer.

It almost makes you want to be able to be able to review bad calls... But that would be a nightmare

I agree it's a legit rule to have, but did you see the play that he was referencing in the ND game? It was just a stupid call where there was no penalty, and to make that call with the ball on the 2 yard line, in the 4th qtr, to give the team an automatic first down is a massive game changer.

It almost makes you want to be able to be able to review bad calls... But that would be a nightmare

Didn't see the play, but sounds like a terrible call. These refs need to to appreciate when to call certain penalties.

One thing that irked me, and which is now long forgotten, but it happened in the Steelers/Cards Super Bowl. The Steelers had the ball, backed up near their own endzone on a huge 3rd down, late in the 4th qtr with the lead. Ben R. completes a pass for a first down and the game is basically over; but alas, a flag was thrown for a real suspect holding call IN THE ENDZONE. It gave the Cards a safety, the ball back (when they scored a TD and went ahead).

Same thing in my mind; you can only call really blatant penalties in the endzone, not a tick-tack one, especially in the 4th qtr of the Super Bowl!!

in what would have been an awesome, hard fought finish to a great SEC rivalry in the GA/LSU game yesterday, the Refs decided they wanted to be part of the show.

With 2:09 remaining, they flagged AJ Green after he scored the (then) game winning TD. The replay showed Green not celebrating, but being surrounded by teammates.

LSU subsequently received the ball in UGA territory and scored with 1:49 left on the clock.

IT DIDNT END THERE...

In an obvious make-up call, the Refs THEN FLAGGED LSU for celebrating (which was another very questionable call). giving UGA great field position from the kick off.

UGA threw a pick and lost, but it would have been nice to see the game end with a result dictated by the players, not the refs. i hate the over-celebrating we have seen in sports, but neither of these calls were warranted here. total BS.

With 2:09 remaining, they flagged AJ Green after he scored the (then) game winning TD. The replay showed Green not celebrating, but being surrounded by teammates.

I've lost count of the # of celebration penalties I've seen in the last 3 minutes of college games that directly changed the outcome. It's so bad now I would be in support of an outright ban on that penalty.

How hard is it for refs to have some friggin common sense and not make borderline calls late in the game?