Trent Edwards' Lack of Confidence

K-9

It's obvious to many that TE has been playing with a lack of confidence for awhile now. Often times that leads to wanting to press the matter instead of letting the game come to you. Which feeds on itself and can make matters worse. I'm wondering if Edwards might benefit from watching the game from the sidelines for a half or so.

While I still think he's the best QB on our roster, it might serve him well to watch Fitzpatrick have some success. And if RF lights it up, so much the better. Trent either responds in kind or he doesn't. If RF stinks up the joint then Trent comes back in and plays. Maybe even saves the day. Who knows?

If Trent's psyche is too fragile to handle the experiment well, too bad. A QB with such a fragile psyche is a liability just as one who doesn't play with confidence.

Something radical needs to be done to get this guy going. It's been done with other players in other sports so I don't see why it can't be done with an NFL QB.

It would also serve to give the rest of the team something to rally around. The OLine for instance. Shaking things up a bit can get players to perform better across the board.

I know the staid, football traditionalists at OBD would never do it. I guess it goes against the book. But so does going for it on 4th and 1 sometimes.

GO BILLS!!!

It's obvious to many that TE has been playing with a lack of confidence for awhile now. Often times that leads to wanting to press the matter instead of letting the game come to you. Which feeds on itself and can make matters worse. I'm wondering if Edwards might benefit from watching the game from the sidelines for a half or so.

While I still think he's the best QB on our roster, it might serve him well to watch Fitzpatrick have some success. And if RF lights it up, so much the better. Trent either responds in kind or he doesn't. If RF stinks up the joint then Trent comes back in and plays. Maybe even saves the day. Who knows?

If Trent's psyche is too fragile to handle the experiment well, too bad. A QB with such a fragile psyche is a liability just as one who doesn't play with confidence.

Something radical needs to be done to get this guy going. It's been done with other players in other sports so I don't see why it can't be done with an NFL QB.

It would also serve to give the rest of the team something to rally around. The OLine for instance. Shaking things up a bit can get players to perform better across the board.

I know the staid, football traditionalists at OBD would never do it. I guess it goes against the book. But so does going for it on 4th and 1 sometimes.

GO BILLS!!!

The problem is, Fitzpatrick directed the worst offense in the league last year (statistically measured). He's not an improvement.

The problem is, Fitzpatrick directed the worst offense in the league last year (statistically measured). He's not an improvement.

I don't think RF would be an improvement, either. TE is the best QB we have. I think the drawback of playing a less talented QB for a half is far outweighed by the benefits Edwards could derive from seeing the game from a different vantage point for a bit. He's pressing when playing in adverse situations and can't be any worse than RF but certainly much better.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think we should play the same game with Trent like we did with JP. People were saying the same thing about Holcomb when JP was playing. Give Trent the entire year let him sink or swim on his own. In the offseason decide if he is the Franchise QB and if the answer is No then draft another QB. I am sick of retreads coming here and not producing. Draft someone to challenge Trent in the offseason and let the best man win.

Would you say that he was playing with a lack of confidence the first two games? I don't understand why everyone goes bonkers after a bad PREseason and one game where our offensive line didn't play very well and TO wouldn't even try for balls thrown his way.

No, I wouldn't say he was playing with a lack of confidence in his first two games this year. But he wasn't faced with much adversity in those games, either. He was in very manageable down/distance situations and that's a testament to his ability.

But it's clear that he's pressing and plays with lack of confidence when he plays under adverse conditions. That's often the case for QBs and it's what seperates the good from the best. He's playing too safe under those circumstances. And while that may be smart at times, it doesn't do much in the way of getting a team out of bad situations.

Nobody's going bonkers. Well some posters are. But I'm not one of them. I'm simply suggesting something that may help the kid.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think we should play the same game with Trent like we did with JP. People were saying the same thing about Holcomb when JP was playing. Give Trent the entire year let him sink or swim on his own. In the offseason decide if he is the Franchise QB and if the answer is No then draft another QB. I am sick of retreads coming here and not producing. Draft someone to challenge Trent in the offseason and let the best man win.

I'm saying perhaps a half of one game to let him see the game from a different vantage point. That's it. Like basketball coaches who sit their best point guards at times. All pro athletes press at times. It's obvious TE presses when faced with adversity. I'm just saying it can help when a player sees the game a different way.

Nobody wants to see a repeat of the yo-yo QB experiment. I didn't remotely suggest that.

GO BILLS!!!

I am sick of retreads coming here and not producing. Draft someone to challenge Trent in the offseason and let the best man win.

What retreads are you referring to? Flutie (2 winning seasons and 2 trips to playoffs), Bledsoe (winning season), Jim Kelly. OK, I'll give you Kelly Holcomb.

Instead maybe we should draft someone instead. Maybe someone like Clod Tollins or JP or Trent. How's that been working out for us?