Bills Strength and Conditioning Coaches

billsguy512

Should that entire staff be canned? It seems every year we have tons of injuries and I can't figure out why it always happens. Is it b/c of Dicky J's training camps that could easily be mistaken for 5 weeks of walk thru's?

If anyone has any other ideas on why half our teams is on IR every year, I'd love to hear it.

Should that entire staff be canned? It seems every year we have tons of injuries and I can't figure out why it always happens. Is it b/c of Dicky J's training camps that could easily be mistaken for 5 weeks of walk thru's?

If anyone has any other ideas on why half our teams is on IR every year, I'd love to hear it.

Where have you gone Mr. Rusty Jones, weary Bills fans turn the eyes to youuuuuu, ooo-ooo-oooooooooo

Alright, enough singing.

BG512...I agree with you, wholeheartedly.

And I know you can't predict injuries, but man, the three plus years under this guy have resulted in a grueling amount of injuries and a team that gets tired in the 4th qtr...and not b/c of the no-huddle.

Probably a combination of a couple things... maybe sub-par strength and conditioning, soft training camp and pre-season, and not much competition for playing time with unproven rookies as the primary back-ups. I wouldn't necessarily blame the coaching staff for going soft in training camp when they have such little proven depth.

This is a tough correlation to draw. It would require honest, and thorough statistical analysis to actually conclude that there's any relationship. Furthermore, how do you qualify/code what a "soft" camp is? You don't think that Singletary running a hard bootcamp style training camp could lead to injury?

Someone a lot smarter than me would have to tabulate a huge case study. I mean, take all the coaches in the league. Aggregate that by how hard they operate camp. Thats 32 cases controlled. Then you'd have to take ALL the injuries for every team over a course of years. Probably 10 to have enough data. And then you'd have to control the injuries, (fluke accident like Kevin Everett or Brady, or otherwise). Furthermore, you'd have to quantify what defines "fluke" and not fluke. You see where I'm going with this?

Basically, my point is that its basically impossible to prove identifiably that a soft camp leads to more injuries versus a harder training camp. Is Jauron soft on his players? Yes. Do they struggle out of the gate usually? Yes, but not always. Has this team suffered as many if not the most injuries in the league during his tenure? That's up for debate. You're telling me Brian Urlacher out for the year isn't a huge issue for the Bears? Or Pennington out again with a shoulder injury doesn't hurt the defending AFC East champs? It's all relative.

I was just talking to my father about this the other day. We both attributed it to the country club camp that DJ runs. For weeks they are only in pads 25% of the time then all of a sudden their bodies are subject to hit after hot and running hard on every play. That being said some of it does fall on the strength coaches and they should be held accountable.

For the team getting tired in the 4th quarter, the defense is undersized based on current standards, so expect them to get worn out if the offense cant sustain drives consistently. The offense needs to hold up their end in order for the defense to be able to be successful in the 4th. While I do feel that the No-Huddle does contribute to the disparity of time of possession, if the offense cant constantly move the ball, it doesn't matter what type of offense they have the defense will tire out by the 4th.

I do think the loss of Rusty Jones is a big factor in the injury front. While not all of the injuries are related to conditioning, Jones is a master of both structure a program to a person, and a diet. He was a big reason why the Bills of the K-Gun era were so successful, and his loss was huge in my opinion. While the Bills didn't do well after Kelly left, and he was still here, they were consistently one of the healthier teams at the end of most seasons while he was still on board.

The last couple of years, they have been at or near the top of the league in missed games due to injury. So think the current Strength and Conditioning coaches have to shoulder at least part of the blame.

This is a tough correlation to draw. It would require honest, and thorough statistical analysis to actually conclude that there's any relationship. Furthermore, how do you qualify/code what a "soft" camp is? You don't think that Singletary running a hard bootcamp style training camp could lead to injury?

Someone a lot smarter than me would have to tabulate a huge case study. I mean, take all the coaches in the league. Aggregate that by how hard they operate camp. Thats 32 cases controlled. Then you'd have to take ALL the injuries for every team over a course of years. Probably 10 to have enough data. And then you'd have to control the injuries, (fluke accident like Kevin Everett or Brady, or otherwise). Furthermore, you'd have to quantify what defines "fluke" and not fluke. You see where I'm going with this?

Basically, my point is that its basically impossible to prove identifiably that a soft camp leads to more injuries versus a harder training camp. Is Jauron soft on his players? Yes. Do they struggle out of the gate usually? Yes, but not always. Has this team suffered as many if not the most injuries in the league during his tenure? That's up for debate. You're telling me Brian Urlacher out for the year isn't a huge issue for the Bears? Or Pennington out again with a shoulder injury doesn't hurt the defending AFC East champs? It's all relative.

its funny you mention that as this thread had me thinking of Mike Singeltary and the camp he just ran.

not sure if anyone caught NFL Gameday this week but they had a piece that documented how Singletary brought in truckloads of dirt and created a 45 ft hill at the 49ers practice facility. and the 9ers then did most of their conditioning and working out on this hill. he mentioned names like Rice and LT and talked about how everyone he's ever known who trains on hills is in better football shape and has less injuries.

they interviewed Spikes and others and while they all jokingly said they hated it, they also said that they were in the best shape theyve ever been in.

and this doesnt even touch on the psychological factor that it brings, teaching players to keep working and you WILL reach the top of the hill, etc.

Singeltary said that it was always something he knew he wanted to do, right away, as a head coach. bring in a hill and start the guys busting their butt...

I was just talking to my father about this the other day. We both attributed it to the country club camp that DJ runs. For weeks they are only in pads 25% of the time then all of a sudden their bodies are subject to hit after hot and running hard on every play. That being said some of it does fall on the strength coaches and they should be held accountable.

I don't think the camp has anything to do with...you're not going to strengthen your tendons and ligaments by going harder in camp anymore than you're going to improve your bench or squat...it's the offseason strength program that's the problem