NIC HARRIS

BILLZ4LIFE

Why not line him up against the TE instead of Ellison?? He's got the ideal size and speed that matches up well against a lot of the TE's in the league. I was big on him since the draft and all of preseason. He's kinda like maybin, in between positions. Any thoughts??

i think harris ran like a 4.7 or 4.8. i dunno if he can match up with any pass-catching TEs in a man to man coverage.

Never go by 40 speed, go by playing speed. Whitner runs a 4.4 and plays slower, T.O ran a 4.6-4.7 in the 40 and plays fast, Boldin for the Cards was at 4.78 and plays very fast. Roscoe clocked in at 4.3 and plays slower in a straight line (but laterally amazing) and gets caught from behind... the 40 is not your measurement but your eyes and how fast they run next to other NFL players.

Watch T.O fly with the ball in his prime, and yet his 40 time was not great. Same with Jerry Rice.

Harris plays with good speed and would prefer him to Ellison in coverage.

Never go by 40 speed, go by playing speed. Whitner runs a 4.4 and plays slower, T.O ran a 4.6-4.7 in the 40 and plays fast, Boldin for the Cards was at 4.78 and plays very fast. Roscoe clocked in at 4.3 and plays slower in a straight line (but laterally amazing) and gets caught from behind... the 40 is not your measurement but your eyes and how fast they run next to other NFL players.

Watch T.O fly with the ball in his prime, and yet his 40 time was not great. Same with Jerry Rice.

Harris plays with good speed and would prefer him to Ellison in coverage.

good point.

Why not line him up against the TE instead of Ellison?? He's got the ideal size and speed that matches up well against a lot of the TE's in the league. I was big on him since the draft and all of preseason. He's kinda like maybin, in between positions. Any thoughts??

I thought we drafted Ellison because he can ccver? As bad as he's being beaten by TE's - he's playing much better than last year....at least this year, you know remember him playing after the game....

The Bills and their small & slow LB's....how delightful!

Its the middle linebackers responsibility to cover routes stretched down the middle of the field in a cover 2. If there is a blitz most likely it will be man coverage, unless its a zone blitz (which I like.)

When the Bills play in the "nickel", they remove the mike LB so the responsibility falls to the outside LB covering the TE. That's why Ellison got caught by Watson in the first game.

Ed

When the Bills play in the "nickel", they remove the mike LB so the responsibility falls to the outside LB covering the TE. That's why Ellison got caught by Watson in the first game.

Ed

The Bills weren't removing the mike when poz was in their. Who was coming off the field, Veek or Ellison? I can't really remember.

I thought we drafted Ellison because he can ccver? As bad as he's being beaten by TE's - he's playing much better than last year....at least this year, you know remember him playing after the game....

The Bills and their small & slow LB's....how delightful!

No they drafted Ellison in the 6th round with the hopes that he may be a ST stud and a backup

News flash: we play zone.

It amazes me how people can watch football for 20+ years yet they have no clue what they are watching.

I was at the game on Sunday and this Dbag, who was probably around 55/60, kept yelling at Edwards, "Lineup and snap the ball, you know where your guys are!" He did this throughout the whole first half! Here is a guy, obviously passionate about the Bills, who has been watching games forever and he has no clue what he is shouting about! It drives me nuts because the loudest fans who are screaming out their worthless opinions usually are the most clueless. :unsure:

Actually in a Nickel formation you have 2 linebackers on the field which usually is your two outside linebackers, because the middle linebacker is usually the least athletic of the 3. I think the Bills used Poz in a nickel so they must have felt he was better in pass coverage than Ellison.

Ed

They don't remove the Mike they remove the Sam backer. Ellison happens to be playing the Mike backer in the nickel package. Poz was talking about this in his interview the other day.

Part of the problem with coverage when we have our Nickel package on the field is that we are not getting pressure on the QB which leaves our lb's covering for way to long. We need to stop having Schobel, Kelsay, Maybin and Stroud/Williams in at the same time... needs to be Stroud, Williams, Schobel and the other best pass rusher imo Kelsay right now, out of him and Maybin.

It drives me nuts because the loudest fans who are screaming out their worthless opinions usually are the most clueless. :unsure:

You're right John. It's also true that the clueless fans who are screaming their worthless opinions are also the loudest.

Furthermore, the worthless fans who are screaming their loud opinions are the most clueless.

Moreover, the clueless fans who are screaming their loudest opinions are the most worthless.

On top of that the loudest fans who are screaming their clueless opinions are the most worthless.

Additionally, the worthless fans who are screaming out their clueless opinions are the loudest.

Basically I guess I agree with you.

This isn't the first time the Bills have been in a division with Hall-of-Fame QBs on the other side and excellent WRs and TEs. In days gone by and long forgotten, the Bills used to convert CBs -- you know guys with great cover skills -- to play S so the middle of the field wasn't totally wide open. Now we're talking about using a slow college S converted to LB because of his poor cover skills and how he might improve covering the deep middle of the field.

Oh boy.

This isn't the first time the Bills have been in a division with Hall-of-Fame QBs on the other side and excellent WRs and TEs. In days gone by and long forgotten, the Bills used to convert CBs -- you know guys with great cover skills -- to play S so the middle of the field wasn't totally wide open. Now we're talking about using a slow college S converted to LB because of his poor cover skills and how he might improve covering the deep middle of the field.

Oh boy.

Any time a DB is covering a TE it is a mismatch. LB typically are assigned this duty because covering TEs is about size and not so much speed. That's actually why teams use a TE instead of all WRs as far as a pass receiving weapon - because they want to create that size based mismatch against the zone.