Butcher Block

zevo

We are going to be redoing our kitchen countertops as soon as I can decide on which way I want to go. I really like the idea of have a butcher block top to my island. Anyone have any experience with these and how do you like it? If you are local in the WNY area who did you use to purchase? I really like the looks of the end grain 3 to 4 inch thick block tops.

We are going to be redoing our kitchen countertops as soon as I can decide on which way I want to go. I really like the idea of have a butcher block top to my island. Anyone have any experience with these and how do you like it? If you are local in the WNY area who did you use to purchase? I really like the looks of the end grain 3 to 4 inch thick block tops.

Ive always wondered about the sanitary thing with those. When cutting meat, does the blood and stuff soak into the wood? We have a 3" thick Viking wooden cutting board at home and its always in the back of my mind.

Kinda not what your talking about but Ive seen counter tops made with recycled soda bottles that look kinda cool and are different.

Ive always wondered about the sanitary thing with those. When cutting meat, does the blood and stuff soak into the wood? We have a 3" thick Viking wooden cutting board at home and its always in the back of my mind.

Kinda not what your talking about but Ive seen counter tops made with recycled soda bottles that look kinda cool and are different.

Thats actually my plan. Im going to do butcher block island with recycle glass countertops. The countertops look gorgeous I just have to find a local dealer. As far as sanitary goes with the block if its is sealed it is all good. If it is not you r supposed to rub it with mineral oil monthly to maintain it.

hey donte, how far are you from los banos? My brother in-law lives there.

hey donte, how far are you from los banos? My brother in-law lives there.

Ive never been but it's about 95 miles south of me. Just a place you pass on the way too LA. Not sure what it's like there. One thing is for sure it's probably very hot.

Just keep the thing clean. Keep a spray bottle with water and bleach in it and spray it and wipe it clean after you've used it.

I have a 300# 10" thick Boos butcher block and love it! My kitchen is small and I set up a nice line with butcher block everywhere. It is nice to be able to cut on every surface. I don't cut chicken, fish or meat on my butcher block- I use cutting boards on top. Wood naturally resists bacteria. The worst thing for butcher block is water. I frequently sprinkle kosher salt on my block to help dry out the wood and to help sanitize. And I oil the wood whenever it looks dry. End grain butcher block is what you want. That helps preserve the blades on your knives. Let me know if I you have any other questions. No doubt in my mind that butcher block is the way to go. Function and beauty!