John Murphy

Getting excited about big plays and outright our-team-is-great, we-wuz-robbed homerism are two different things. There's nothing wrong with showing passion for the game, and Miller and RJ are pros -- even if they did skate close to the line at times, they still normally got the call correct. On the other side of that line, I'm guessing at least one of the radio crews I'll be sharing a press box with tomorrow night will show up wearing their school colors. Yay, team. I'll be the one trying to get as far away from them as possible.

So ... yes, I'd rather have someone describing plays than yelling an opinion in my ear. I realize others' mileage may vary.

Metal Man, valid point.

I became a first time listener last Sunday. I had to find something better than"Game Channel" to keep up with how you guys were doing since my local CBS station had a different game. I enjoyed their presentation. I DID have to chuckle when Lindall hit the field goal to put you guys up 33-20 AND Murphy remarks "That may have just put the hay in the barn".

I became a first time listener last Sunday. I had to find something better than"Game Channel" to keep up with how you guys were doing since my local CBS station had a different game. I enjoyed their presentation. I DID have to chuckle when Lindall hit the field goal to put you guys up 33-20 AND Murphy remarks "That may have just put the hay in the barn".

"How you guys were doing?" So you are or aren't one of us? I'm not attacking you but just trying to figure out your angle. Do you hate the Cowboys and love Cowgirls? And if you hate the Cowboys, who do you cheer for? Or maybe you're a Bills and Cowboys fan?

Yeah anyways, Murph is pretty cool. Real down to earth guy.

the thing is he's not supposed to be an objective observer. That's what the national guys are for. By his own job description he's "the Voice of the Bills."

First, Murph is absolutely terrific. Top 10% of all the play-by-play guys out there.

Second, I listen to the radio every game. A lot of the reason I do that is because I can trust Murph and I can understand what happened and learn from Kelso. I don't want a screaming homer guy who changes everything and gives you a picture that is tainted by his love of the team. You can trust that Murph gives a fairly objective view of what's going on (and that's what I want) while still communicating his love of the Bills.

Van was the best, an absolutely top-notch guy, but Murph is not far down the ladder. We're lucky to have him, and he and Kelso make a terrific team.

I'm thinking about getting the TV broadcasts of the game over the net, but since I live overseas, that costs around $280. And honestly, it may be just as good to just listen to Murph and Kelso and watch the highlights and the 30% of the games that come on TV over here, or that U.S. friends tape and send me. They're that good.

is a terrible broadcaster

When the Bills score a touchdown he calmly says "oh no... T.E. to T.O. for the touchdown"

why does he say OH NO everytime the Bills score? <_<

I'm sorry, but I just listened to exactly the play you talked about, and he just didn't say "Oh, no," he just didn't say it.

Doubt it? Click on this:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092009/2...score#tab:watch

and then click on the second option on the video playlist. The title is "Bills 33, Buccaneers 20" and you get the video highlights with Murph's call. You'll see the T.O. touchdown, and he simply does not say "Oh, no." I don't know what you're referring to.

I remarked to my brother on Sunday how much I dislike Murph, not much real excitement and seems to

fumble sometimes with basic stuff.

My brother, who lives in Baltimore, told me how lucky we are as the Ravens and Redskins announcers

are just pitiful.

Maybe he is that good, and we don't know it. But I really don't care for him much. On the other hand I

do love Kelso, adds a great deal to the broadcast, especially when he's jawing it up with the fans.