Relentless Blitzing by Fewell...

Big Turk

I could not believe how Fewell was bringing near jailbreak blitzes at the Bucs for most of the 4th quarter...they just kept coming and coming and coming. Yeah Leftwich made a few plays against them, but the majority of the time he either missed his receivers or completed something short. Really encouraging to see Fewell perhaps realizing that sitting back in prevent isn't gonna help anything except the other team scoring...

Perhaps he got all jacked up seeing what the Jets did to the Pats earlier in the day...

I could not believe how Fewell was bringing near jailbreak blitzes at the Bucs for most of the 4th quarter...they just kept coming and coming and coming. Yeah Leftwich made a few plays against them, but the majority of the time he either missed his receivers or completed something short. Really encouraging to see Fewell perhaps realizing that sitting back in prevent isn't gonna help anything except the other team scoring...

Perhaps he got all jacked up seeing what the Jets did to the Pats earlier in the day...

I don't think he's called anything different from last year, I think it has to do with playing with a lead... Bigger the lead, the more relentless he lets the defense play. When the game is close, or they don't have faith in the offense, I think they get a bit to conservative.

Blitzing doesn't always work and can cause big gains by opponent (see last TD by Manning last night). So, the DC needs to be very judicious in its use. I think Fewell used it in this case because we were playing with the lead and he did not respect Leftwich and the Bucs ability to burn us. He could not have taken that risk against Brady. Agreed that the prevent didn't work out for us but I don't believe blitzing would have been the answer. We just didn't do a good job of putting pressure with the front 4 on those last two drives.