Offensive Line--Why it's working

AF88Bills

i'm going with the theory that we replaced overpaid, lazy, SOFT, slobs

with

young, enthusiastic, intelligent, angry, athletic guys who WANT to play

just my .02 of uninformed rambling

That'd be my reason also. Because of this, I'm guessing that's why they won't resign Walker, if they can't get or don't want Runyon look for them to sign a serviceable backup and let Scott make his own way. I'm sure there'll be plenty of b*tching on this board but I think Kugler wants guys with the right attitude and mobility.

Who would have thought that if you put high draft choices into an offensive line (1st round Wood second Levitre) it could have a positive effect. Also making smart moves with free agents (Hangartner) and developing your own players (Bell and to be fair they did it with Peters) are two things that yield good results.

Now I am a very patient fan and I am not going to get excited about an offensive line playing 2 good games against an OK front 7 (Without Seymour and Mayo being hurt the Pats* front 7 is very average and the Bucs are nothing to write home about). BUT if you aren't going to play good against the bad and average teams who are you going to play good against?

This line is working because Hangartner is a huge upgrade and the guards are preforming to their draft status while Bell is exceeding expectations and even though he is out Butler was doing a solid job at RT. As other posters have pointed out it helps to have a guy like TO command some respect along the outside as well as good play calling from AVP and the no huddle.

The real test will be against the Jets and Fins both 3-4 teams who have talent and are in our division (Especially the Jets).

Wow, didnt think would hear anyone say, we played well against the Pats, but theyre weak, wait till we play the Jets anytime this decade :thumbsup:

One thing I never understood was the how the Bills O-line players didn't seem to match the scheme they were expected to play. Until recently, the Bills had the 2nd heaviest O-line in the NFL, yet they were not a mauling or grinding type offense. This year with the implementation of the no huddle, the ejection of a 368lb tackle, a 345 lb tackle, and 326 lb guard, maybe we have the personnel to match the system that coach Kugler is trying to implement. I don't think any of our starters are over 310 lbs. Notice how there seems to be a lot more movement with pulling guard/center, or screen plays.

Should we give credit where credit is due and say the Bills matched the right type of players for the right system...hence the current success in the running and passing game? Needless to say, I like where they are going, compared to where they were.

thoughts?

I have been saying for years the number one problem with the offensive line is the center. Well it finally looks like we have a center and it helps that the rest of the line has some athletic agility. What also helps is changing up the offense that makes the defense play honest.