Alex Van Pelt & Co

thewildrabbit

To AVP, great play calling, cheers ! :) What a difference in the play calling, nice job.

To the new O linemen, Cheers! :beer: Great job on MNF. All off season I've been crying about the O line changes and worrying about how long Trent Edwards would stay upright. Those young guys on the line played their butts off, nice job!

Gotta tip my hat to Dick Jauron and offer up a :beer: I honestly didn't think the Bills would be that prepared and play as well they did, all three phases looked good.

One day lady luck will stop kicking the Bills in the crotch and let them win games like that MNF game,what a heart breaker.

Trent Edwards needs to work on the 2 min drill a bit, Jim Kelly was a master at that and so is Tom Brady. Clearly Edwards is not there yet and he really needs to focus on the receivers at the sidelines and just getting first downs, instead of trying to get it deep.

Lastly,I know it will happen at some point, perhaps Edwards needs more time to develop a rapport with TO but he really needs to TRY and get the ball to TO every chance he can, I don't care if TO has 6 players covering him and Evans, Reed and Parish are wide open, throw TO the ball!!!!

To AVP, great play calling, cheers ! :) What a difference in the play calling, nice job.

To the new O linemen, Cheers! :beer: Great job on MNF. All off season I've been crying about the O line changes and worrying about how long Trent Edwards would stay upright. Those young guys on the line played their butts off, nice job!

Gotta tip my hat to Dick Jauron and offer up a :beer: I honestly didn't think the Bills would be that prepared and play as well they did, all three phases looked good.

One day lady luck will stop kicking the Bills in the crotch and let them win games like that MNF game,what a heart breaker.

Trent Edwards needs to work on the 2 min drill a bit, Jim Kelly was a master at that and so is Tom Brady. Clearly Edwards is not there yet and he really needs to focus on the receivers at the sidelines and just getting first downs, instead of trying to get it deep.

Lastly,I know it will happen at some point, perhaps Edwards needs more time to develop a rapport with TO but he really needs to TRY and get the ball to TO every chance he can, I don't care if TO has 6 players covering him and Evans, Reed and Parish are wide open, throw TO the ball!!!!

Looked to me as if it was more on the OL than on Trent late in the game.

I was sort of hoping for yet another screen at that point, because I was sure that they would be rushing the hell out of

Trent.

Special teams were awful -- or certainly not up to the standards we've come to expect. Allowed long kick returns, two fumbles, penalty on punt return -- lone bright spots were Moorman's punt inside the 10 and Lindell's clutch FG in the 3rd.

Special teams were awful -- or certainly not up to the standards we've come to expect. Allowed long kick returns, two fumbles, penalty on punt return -- lone bright spots were Moorman's punt inside the 10 and Lindell's clutch FG in the 3rd.

The Bills really surprised me with how well the team played. The fact that they were even in the game up until the last 5 min exceeded my expectations. On that last fumble, I blame lady luck...

I agree completely - I was very disappointed with the ST's. I assume their performance is why Justin Jenkins is back in the fold.

They were bad in the pre-season also, this is starting to concern me... :)

I was sort of hoping for yet another screen at that point, because I was sure that they would be rushing the hell out of

Trent.

I'm not certain if it was Trent or the play calling on that last drive as I don't know what plays were called. Seems that Edwards was taking longer to find his receivers much the same way he did with Schonert calling plays. Kinda leads me to think he was looking deeper then he had been, JMO.

To AVP, great play calling, cheers ! :censored: What a difference in the play calling, nice job.

To the new O linemen, Cheers! :wallbash: Great job on MNF. All off season I've been crying about the O line changes and worrying about how long Trent Edwards would stay upright. Those young guys on the line played their butts off, nice job!

Gotta tip my hat to Dick Jauron and offer up a :wallbash: I honestly didn't think the Bills would be that prepared and play as well they did, all three phases looked good.

I get the cheers for the O Line and DJ, but dont you think AVP failed to make any adjustments in the second half in order to get our most dangerous weapons involved in Owens and Evans?

I mean, dont get me wrong, AVP had the O looking better than it had, but still, our entire offense was dictated to us by NE and you wont win many ball games when you let that happen. Once it was crystal clear that Trent wasnt going to push the ball down field to our double covered WR's, AVP absolutely needs to adjust and start bringing the WR's in on quick slants, curls, crossing routes, picks, etc so Trent can take a 3 step drop and fire to them BEFORE the double team gets there.

You show me a coach that doesnt adjust at halftime when something isnt working in your gameplan and I will show you a coach that just lost the game. I know, I know we were ahead, but guess what...If Leodis downs it in the endzone and we dont get a first down (something we werent getting many of) then NE gets ball back with good field postion, more than a minute and a half and one time out still...the game was far from over even if Leodis kneels which is why BB kicked off instead of onsided it. The reason being, our offense only managed 17 points...we need more production and that starts with getting out WR's into the game.

That being said, AVP did call some nice plays on screens and runs...not complaining there. He just has to learn to adjust to the D to get your stud players involved. Hopefully that was a learning lesson and he makes those adjustments in Game 2. In fact, I hope we come out of the gate like that...

Guest dog14787

Trent.

My thoughts exactly.

the playcalling was def better but i wouldnt say it was great, this team still cant get the ball to their WRs which is a big problem and where were the deep balls...not even one the entire game

Good point. And despite all that, they were ahead 11 with 5:00 to play against the team most "experts" expect to be playing in Feb. I'd say there's more reason for optimism than pessimism.

the playcalling was def better but i wouldnt say it was great, this team still cant get the ball to their WRs which is a big problem and where were the deep balls...not even one the entire game

I'd say the play calling was great compared to what Schonert used to call, they guy couldn't stop using the shotgun and kept calling for deep passing plays which take 4 or more seconds to develop and Roscoe,Evans and Reed never seemed to be open. Besides the fact that Edwards didn't often have 4+ seconds to throw the ball.

AVP called plays that allowed Edwards to get rid of the ball quickly,instead of trying to find an open receiver deep down field, which helped negate the Patriots pass rush to some degree.

Edwards doesn't throw a lot of interceptions,which is a good thing! I'd rather he take the dump off if he can't find an open receiver.

Some people on this board declare Edwards to slow to read defenses and he fails to find an open receiver, Is this really the case or are the receivers simply not getting open?

Turk Schonert came out in the Buffalo news after last season and stated that once opposing teams took away Lee Evans with double coverage the passing game suffered greatly. My take is once Edwards develops a rapport with TO, the middle to deep passing game will get better.

I'd like to see Parrish and Reed sit, and Steve Johnson get a shot at the 3rd wide out spot, JMO.

I'd say the play calling was great compared to what Schonert used to call, they guy couldn't stop using the shotgun and kept calling for deep passing plays which take 4 or more seconds to develop and Roscoe,Evans and Reed never seemed to be open. Besides the fact that Edwards didn't often have 4+ seconds to throw the ball.

AVP called plays that allowed Edwards to get rid of the ball quickly,instead of trying to find an open receiver deep down field, which helped negate the Patriots pass rush to some degree.

Edwards doesn't throw a lot of interceptions,which is a good thing! I'd rather he take the dump off if he can't find an open receiver.

Some people on this board declare Edwards to slow to read defenses and he fails to find an open receiver, Is this really the case or are the receivers simply not getting open?

Turk Schonert came out in the Buffalo news after last season and stated that once opposing teams took away Lee Evans with double coverage the passing game suffered greatly. My take is once Edwards develops a rapport with TO, the middle to deep passing game will get better.

I'd like to see Parrish and Reed sit, and Steve Johnson get a shot at the 3rd wide out spot, JMO.

See my post a few posts above about this, you didnt answer my question...

I have an additional question for you to answer...in regards to your comment about Trent quesitoning whether or not he can read the defense well enough and quick enough. How is it Ftizgerald, Clavin Johnson, Andre Johnson, T.O., Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Torry Holt, and countless other very productive WR's constantly face double coverage in their career and yet still produce at high levels?

I will give you a clue...its not because they burn their double coverage and are wide open all the time...its because the QB's are getting them the ball in the soft parts of the defenses and their OC is calling plays for them to get them open BEFORE the double can get to them or picks to get them single covered.

Case example: Steve Smith was regarded as one of the top 3, if not the best, WR in football. Then Delhomme goes down week 1 and David Carr takes over for the season...guess what, Steve Smith disappears, has a down year and is hardly noticeable in a majority of the 15 games under D. Carr. So, did S. Smith suddenly forget how to get open when facing double coverage, or do you think it was the fact that D. Carr was the difference in this equation?

Ask any defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator and they will say the same thing: The QB and playcalling is AS or MORE important than the WR in beating double coverage at this level.

Guess what Buffalo hasnt done very much in years: All of the above.

See my post a few posts above about this, you didnt answer my question...

I have an additional question for you to answer...in regards to your comment about Trent quesitoning whether or not he can read the defense well enough and quick enough. How is it Ftizgerald, Clavin Johnson, Andre Johnson, T.O., Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Torry Holt, and countless other very productive WR's constantly face double coverage in their career and yet still produce at high levels?

I will give you a clue...its not because they burn their double coverage and are wide open all the time...its because the QB's are getting them the ball in the soft parts of the defenses and their OC is calling plays for them to get them open BEFORE the double can get to them or picks to get them single covered.

Case example: Steve Smith was regarded as one of the top 3, if not the best, WR in football. Then Delhomme goes down week 1 and David Carr takes over for the season...guess what, Steve Smith disappears, has a down year and is hardly noticeable in a majority of the 15 games under D. Carr. So, did S. Smith suddenly forget how to get open when facing double coverage, or do you think it was the fact that D. Carr was the difference in this equation?

Ask any defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator and they will say the same thing: The QB and playcalling is AS or MORE important than the WR in beating double coverage at this level.

Guess what Buffalo hasnt done very much in years: All of the above.

You are wrong and ridiculous as usual. If there were *not* better options to throw to you may have a point. But when you consistently get a very good pass catching RB lined up on a LB, with absolutely zero help from the secondary within 10 yards, the correct throw is to that guy. Look no further than Trent's 14+ yards per completion vs the Pats as evidence. And I love how the Chargers game from last year totally escapes your selective memory, when Trent continually burned the Chargers down field using some of the most impressive throws I've seen from any QB (as you may also recall, that was his 1st game back from his concussion, so the theory about him being scared does not in any way hold water). Just be quiet already - your knowledge and understanding of simple concepts is very underwhelming and unflattering.

Here is my rebuttal to your example:

1. Steve Smith has a fantastic season, and teams realize they have to double cover him.

2. Steve Smith gets double covered in every game the following season, and his production disappears.

3. How is Steve Smith regarded now?

As far as I am aware, nobody on the face of the earth ever considered Steve Smith to be better than Randy Moss. Steve Smith has nowhere near the size required to go up against two defenders and consistently come down with the ball. It is a very hollow argument that you are making, and you are grasping at desperate straws.

5'9" - and you think any QB is going to get the ball to this guy in double coverage? Dude....you are truly amazing.

Man it really seems like any time I respond to you, there is no end to the arguments that can be made against your positions (which typically is indicative of highly flawed positions). But I just think it is funny that you pick the ONE guy (except maybe Lee Evans) to make your argument that *SHOULD NOT EVER* beat a double coverage. And as far as "getting the ball to him before the double coverage" (again laughably absurd nonsense), double coverage, in the case of a safety and CB, allows the CB to bump the receiver off the line, thus taking away any short plays, because he still has help over the top. Randy Moss caught passes Monday night underneath because WE WERE IN A ZONE. Why do you struggle so much to grasp these simple truths? It is beyond me.

Guest dog14787

Young QB's generally have a very reliable Tight End security blanket to help them develop. A good TE in my opinion gives your WR's more room to work and same can be said about a productive running game.

We talk about establishing an identity and I believe we will now with AVP and as we do opposing teams will game plan against what we do best. The better established we become in all facets of the game the more open our WR's will become in my opinion.

We are a work in progress...

You are wrong and ridiculous as usual. If there were *not* better options to throw to you may have a point. But when you consistently get a very good pass catching RB lined up on a LB, with absolutely zero help from the secondary within 10 yards, the correct throw is to that guy. Look no further than Trent's 14+ yards per completion vs the Pats as evidence. And I love how the Chargers game from last year totally escapes your selective memory, when Trent continually burned the Chargers down field using some of the most impressive throws I've seen from any QB (as you may also recall, that was his 1st game back from his concussion, so the theory about him being scared does not in any way hold water). Just be quiet already - your knowledge and understanding of simple concepts is very underwhelming and unflattering.

Here is my rebuttal to your example:

1. Steve Smith has a fantastic season, and teams realize they have to double cover him.

2. Steve Smith gets double covered in every game the following season, and his production disappears.

3. How is Steve Smith regarded now?

As far as I am aware, nobody on the face of the earth ever considered Steve Smith to be better than Randy Moss. Steve Smith has nowhere near the size required to go up against two defenders and consistently come down with the ball. It is a very hollow argument that you are making, and you are grasping at desperate straws.

5'9" - and you think any QB is going to get the ball to this guy in double coverage? Dude....you are truly amazing.

Man it really seems like any time I respond to you, there is no end to the arguments that can be made against your positions (which typically is indicative of highly flawed positions). But I just think it is funny that you pick the ONE guy (except maybe Lee Evans) to make your argument that *SHOULD NOT EVER* beat a double coverage. And as far as "getting the ball to him before the double coverage" (again laughably absurd nonsense), double coverage, in the case of a safety and CB, allows the CB to bump the receiver off the line, thus taking away any short plays, because he still has help over the top. Randy Moss caught passes Monday night underneath because WE WERE IN A ZONE. Why do you struggle so much to grasp these simple truths? It is beyond me.

Your never going to get him to stop arguing his opinions no matter how lame they are, he thinks that Lee Evans is a top 5 receiver and yet he can't seem to beat double coverage. I dunno why he states that Edwards is constantly not seeing the wide open receivers, like he has game tape he breaks down and KNOWS Edwards is doing this. I'm fairly certain if Edwards were indeed not seeing wide open receivers that the coaches would have moved to replace him in the off season. This seems to be his particular delusion, along with his statements like ask any OC DC in the NFL, as if he actually converses with some, SKOOBY 2.

It never occurs to him that perhaps the Bills offensive coordinator (Schonert) was correct when he stated that double coverage shut down Evans and the Bills deep passing game last season. Funny how that never stopped Schonert from calling constant 5-7 step drop passing plays, to bad he never adjusted it to make Edwards have success as AVP did.

To me Trent Edwards would be a perfect fit in a west coast passing offense IMO, I'm only guessing here but I'd think that is what he learned while at Stanford.

Schonert also stated the Bills lacked a big time receiving threat opposite Lee Evans to help take coverages away, that leads me to believe that Parrish and Reed are not getting the job done in single coverage. It is why I stated I'd like to see both of them sit while giving Steve Johnson a chance.

Now that the Bills have TO on the other side of Evans the Bills should have a much improved down field passing game, no excuses now.Although it might take some time for TO and Edwards to get on the same page.

An example of this is how veteran WR Joey Galloway and Tom Brady are struggling to build a rapport, and TO was injured in the preseason, so perhaps it may take a few weeks.

The Buccaneers seem to be coming to Buffalo at the perfect time to test the deep game, Tony Romo burned that Buc secondary big time last week, Edwards should be able to do the same to some extent. Hopefully TO and Edwards will hook up a ton in this game.

In the 4th quarter I think the Bills OT's got folded in. The pocket collapsed on Edwards and it was game over. I think the play calling in the previous 3 qtrs helped keep the poor play of the OT's a non factor. But when TE dropped back waiting for the long routes, the Pats overcame the outsides of the Bills line & got him.