assorted game observations

DonInBuffalo

upon further review....

Offense:

The Bills used a pretty limited number of formations and personnel combinations. Of course, that's in part by design. No point of running a no-huddle if you're frequently changing personnel, allowing the other team to do same.

The formation they used the most was Schouman at TE with Nelson just off the LOS. They mixed it up with both TEs sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right, and sometimes one on each side. If I counted right they used this for 20 plays. I'll call this their "base" just to give it a name.

On a few 3rd down plays, they took out Nelson and put Reed in the slot. IIRC the only "success" they had out of this was the pass to Reed that got called back via penalty. I counted 5 times they used this.

The other setup they used was lining Parrish out wide to one side, with Evans on the other side with TO in the slot. I'm pretty sure every pass to TO came out of this formation. They used it for a few 3rd down plays early in the game, and then went back to it for that big TD drive in the 2nd half. However, when they got close to the red zone, they switched back to their "base".

On the final desperation drive, they used the same setup with Parrish and TO in the slot, only Schouman was split out a few steps away from the OT. So apparently their game plan didn't include being able to put 4 WRs on the field. I find that somewhat surprising.

IMO if AVP tries to go with something this limited every week without adding new wrinkles, teams will quickly figure out ways to stop the offense. He's going to have to add a few different things each week that teams haven't planned for.

Special Teams:

Not counting the "hands team" kickoff return, Wendling, Corto, Harris and Buggs played on all the ST units. Let's label the other teams PC, PR (punt coverage return) KC, KR (same for kickoff) and HT (hands team) Here's who I saw out there reviewing the game. I'll leave out the obvious, i.e. the kicker, snapper, and/or return man.

KC - Byrd Denney Wilson Corner Youboty McIntyre

PC - (Corto and Wendling were the gunners) Schouman Wilson Mitchell B. Scott

PR - Byrd Schouman Wilson Whitner McIntyre (I'm missing one)

KR - Corner McIntyre Sp. Johnson Omon Stupar B. Scott

HT - Denney Schouman Wilson Nelson Ellison Scott Byrd Reed Jackson

Regardless of whether it's Buggs or Harris that gets moved into the starting lineup, Bobby April is going to need to find someone to take those spots on the ST. The obvious choice would appear to be Ashley Palmer, who will be activated in Poz's absence. Presumably he performed well enough on ST to fill that role, or he probably wouldn't have made the final 53.

upon further review....

Offense:

The Bills used a pretty limited number of formations and personnel combinations. Of course, that's in part by design. No point of running a no-huddle if you're frequently changing personnel, allowing the other team to do same.

The formation they used the most was Schouman at TE with Nelson just off the LOS. They mixed it up with both TEs sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right, and sometimes one on each side. If I counted right they used this for 20 plays. I'll call this their "base" just to give it a name.

On a few 3rd down plays, they took out Nelson and put Reed in the slot. IIRC the only "success" they had out of this was the pass to Reed that got called back via penalty. I counted 5 times they used this.

The other setup they used was lining Parrish out wide to one side, with Evans on the other side with TO in the slot. I'm pretty sure every pass to TO came out of this formation. They used it for a few 3rd down plays early in the game, and then went back to it for that big TD drive in the 2nd half. However, when they got close to the red zone, they switched back to their "base".

On the final desperation drive, they used the same setup with Parrish and TO in the slot, only Schouman was split out a few steps away from the OT. So apparently their game plan didn't include being able to put 4 WRs on the field. I find that somewhat surprising.

IMO if AVP tries to go with something this limited every week without adding new wrinkles, teams will quickly figure out ways to stop the offense. He's going to have to add a few different things each week that teams haven't planned for.

Special Teams:

Not counting the "hands team" kickoff return, Wendling, Corto, Harris and Buggs played on all the ST units. Let's label the other teams PC, PR (punt coverage return) KC, KR (same for kickoff) and HT (hands team) Here's who I saw out there reviewing the game. I'll leave out the obvious, i.e. the kicker, snapper, and/or return man.

Regardless of whether it's Buggs or Harris that gets moved into the starting lineup, Bobby April is going to need to find someone to take those spots on the ST. The obvious choice would appear to be Ashley Palmer, who will be activated in Poz's absence. Presumably he performed well enough on ST to fill that role, or he probably wouldn't have made the final 53.

Thanks - good post.

upon further review....

Offense:

Special Teams:

I think Jenkins will be playing ST also.

That's what you get when you only dress 4 WR's. Reed must have been injured late.

They have got to start activating Steve Johnson. I don't want Schouman out there as a fourth receiver in that situation again.

That's what you get when you only dress 4 WR's. Reed must have been injured late.

They have got to start activating Steve Johnson. I don't want Schouman out there as a fourth receiver in that situation again.

Odd that they preferred to line Schouman up as a reciever rather than Shawn Nelson.