McKelvin post game comments

The previous fumble things happen in the game,” said McKelvin. ”I’ve got to do my job and make sure I hold onto the ball. It may happen next week and I might (come out of the end zone) again and next week I might come out and might break two (for touchdowns). I might have the best game of my career, so I’m going to come out here and play every game one by one and try to get a win for us.”

--------------------------------------------------------

Ummmmmmmmmmm... This dude needs to be benched for the nextgame. Reggie Corner, anyone? I am absolutely not a fan of McKelvin right now. :lol:

The previous fumble things happen in the game,” said McKelvin. ”I’ve got to do my job and make sure I hold onto the ball. It may happen next week and I might (come out of the end zone) again and next week I might come out and might break two (for touchdowns). I might have the best game of my career, so I’m going to come out here and play every game one by one and try to get a win for us.”

Ummmmmmmmmmm... This dude needs to be benched for the nextgame. Reggie Corner, anyone? I am absolutely not a fan of McKelvin right now. :lol:

Are you serious? I really hope not. The kid tried to make a play and you are going to crucify him for that. All will be forgotten when he takes one back or gets a pick 6. Short memory bud.

The guy admitted he screwed up what more can you do? That wasn't the play that lost it for us.

I still say this is a sign of poor coaching. OK maybe he feels he has to come out of the endzone but no reason to fight for yards in the situation go down or get out of bounds. Bottom line is his number one responsibility in that situation is to protect the posesseion of the ball. Getting yards or points is secondary.

I am a forgiving person and not one to hold a grudge. I think that someday Leodis will be an excellent player although he is maturing somewhat slowly IMO. Maybe something will "click." That sometimes does happen.

I did not see any video on his post game comments. There were none on the Bills website. I have only seen quotes from print media outlets.

One thing that it appears that he did not say was something along the lines of:

"Firstly I want to apologize to my teammates for fumbling the ball. I realize that if I hadn't fumbled, that we probably would have won the game."

I don't really need to see his excuses/explanation/rationales. I don't need to see anything that is even suggestive of defiance.

Just say you're sorry that you let your team down. This is another basic fundamental that Leodis apparently hasn't grasped yet.

I am a forgiving person and not one to hold a grudge. I think that someday Leodis will be an excellent player although he is maturing somewhat slowly IMO. Maybe something will "click." That sometimes does happen.

I did not see any video on his post game comments. There were none on the Bills website. I have only seen quotes from print media outlets.

One thing that it appears that he did not say was something along the lines of:

"Firstly I want to apologize to my teammates for fumbling the ball. I realize that if I hadn't fumbled, that we probably would have won the game."

I don't really need to see his excuses/explanation/rationales. I don't need to see anything that is even suggestive of defiance.

Just say you're sorry that you let your team down. This is another basic fundamental that Leodis apparently hasn't grasped yet.

I agree to some extent.

My biggest issue with the comment is that it really seems like Jauron and April never emphasizes to him that he needs to hold on to the ball NO MATTER WHAT. That was the most important thing on that particular play, and he didn't recognize that. Taking the ball out of the endzone is one thing, but not protecting the ball is a huge blunder.

He actually fumbled twice, and Harris bailed him out the first time.

I agree to some extent.

My biggest issue with the comment is that it really seems like Jauron and April never emphasizes to him that he needs to hold on to the ball NO MATTER WHAT. That was the most important thing on that particular play, and he didn't recognize that. Taking the ball out of the endzone is one thing, but not protecting the ball is a huge blunder.

He actually fumbled twice, and Harris bailed him out the first time.

the announcers said that his knee was down before he lost the ball on the first fumble. in any event, yes, he does need to work on ball security.

So many people keep saying, he needs to know to hold on to the ball, or he doesnt understand he cant fumble.

Really, you think he doesnt know that. He stands back there and thinks, "boy a turnover would be nice" He understands the importance of protecting the ball, and clearly in that situation. Nobody needs to be told that. Maybe if Jauron had said hey Leodis, dont drop it. Then the game would have gone the other way.

Yeah it sucks, loosing games ruin my entire week. i am upset, but I am sure that Leodis understands the gravity of the situation.

Im sorry...his job was NOT to "make a play" or "win the game" right there. His job was to protect the ball.

If the kid is too stupid to understand how the game works and to have situational awareness of when to try and bust one for a TD and when to sit on the damned ball and protect it, then cut him.

And the above argument that he had to run it out to try to burn clock is wrong. How much "clock" was he gong to burn? Three seconds? So he took a MASSIVE risk of losing the ball (and did!) to try and burn off three seconds?

what if the refs ruled it a safety? what if his momentum brought it back to the endzone and it is not a touchback? then what?

the return was fine, the butterfingers where the problem

So many people keep saying, he needs to know to hold on to the ball, or he doesnt understand he cant fumble.

Really, you think he doesnt know that. He stands back there and thinks, "boy a turnover would be nice" He understands the importance of protecting the ball, and clearly in that situation. Nobody needs to be told that. Maybe if Jauron had said hey Leodis, dont drop it. Then the game would have gone the other way.

Yeah it sucks, loosing games ruin my entire week. i am upset, but I am sure that Leodis understands the gravity of the situation.

No, he really doesn't. His only job should have been to protect the ball. There was no indication on that play that he was going to cover it up and hit the ground. The coaches obviously didn't point that out to him. Too many "OOPS, we should have done this" plays will kill your team. Our coaches are not smart enough or tough enough on their players to be winners. Period.

I dont have a problem with him taking the ball out of the endzone if he thinks he can get beyond the 20 yard line... But to be foolish enough to think that there is a good chance he could have returned it for a touchdown with the hands team on the field is quite foolish. Return men are only as good as their blocking (generally). As soon as he was touched he should have taken a classic Wes Welker dive to the ground. This had little to do with coaching and more to do with stupidity. And obviously he was trying to hold on to the ball. The pats just made a good play knocking it out.

McBlockhead obviously thought it was worth it to fight for two extra yards.

The risk of a fumble greatly outweighed the potential reward of a couple meaningless yards. Not only should he have gone down, his postgame explanation of his decision (and indication that he would do it again given the chance) shows he doesn't understand that he made the wrong call.

McBlockhead obviously thought it was worth it to fight for two extra yards.

The risk of a fumble greatly outweighed the potential reward of a couple meaningless yards. Not only should he have gone down, his postgame explanation of his decision (and indication that he would do it again given the chance) shows he doesn't understand that he made the wrong call.

Bingo.

I agree. Like the throwback in TENN many years ago -- these idiots did not coach when it counted. same on the two defensive stands with 5 minutes left. WHAT THE HELL COVERAGES were they in? April is a GREAT STs coach -- but that coverage needs to be tighter. BLAME JAURON IMO. like it or not -- he is the fall guy...

I still say this is a sign of poor coaching. OK maybe he feels he has to come out of the endzone but no reason to fight for yards in the situation go down or get out of bounds. Bottom line is his number one responsibility in that situation is to protect the posesseion of the ball. Getting yards or points is secondary.