Guess Which Unemployed NFL Coach is Golfing

CosmicBills

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is as likely to happen as the Bills making the playoffs, but I will play along... Shanahan to the Bills would be one of the few moves that could really regenerate my hope for this franchise... I am fairly certain, if Ralph Wilson is still involved with the franchise, that a guy like Shanahan would not last long... I think Ralph would be hard for him to play for.

Along those lines, I was just watching "Inside the NFL", and Bill Cowher said something obvious, but interesting.... they were doing a "round table" discussion about all of the currently unemployed former NFL headcoaches (Cowher, Shanahan, Dungy, etc) and the panelists were trying to get Cowher to divulge his plans. He wouldn't, but when asked what kind of teams some of these greats would end up next season, Cowher said, and I paraphrase, "none of these guys has to coach, they coach because they love it...all have had a lot of success, they aren't desperate for jobs, and would really only coach teams where winning is a priority throughout the organization... you have to figure, that is not the case for many of the teams that will have vacancies in the next year" Maybe BC wasn't referring to the Bills specifically, but I think he is saying, teams like Buffalo are not very likely to get established coaches, given there dubious track record... now, one of the other panelists, Chris Collinsworth, I think, pointed out that of all of the "greats" available, he would expect Shanahan to be most likely to find a team quickly as he "lives to coach", and "can't be happy about the way things ended for him in Denver".

Personally, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic "big name" the Bills could lure at this point. I know he has said he is done coaching, but I have also heard it speculated that he could still be interested. I realize, Schottenheimer

isn't an exciting choice for most, but I would just love, for once, know that the Bills are being guided, on the field anyways, by a solid football guy, who has a track record of some success... he may never coach the Bills to a Super Bowl, but he is a guy who has a plan, and knows how to turn back the tide of crappiness for moribund franchises, like the Bills... he has a consistent style, built on solid football philosophies that have been successful for decades. Plus, given his history, I think he is one of the few that could work with Ralph Wilson.

I would also prefer Marty, as I think Shanahan is a very good OC he has sucked as a HC minus Elway and Davis. Also his D had gotten worse each year.

Hmmm. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it possible that our very own Dick Jauron played a role in Shanahan being unemployed? After all, it was a Week 16 quasi meaningless game for the Bills IN Denver, when Dick's team beat a Bronco team that would have sealed a playoff spot with a victory. If the Broncos make it into they playoffs, then Shanny is probably still coaching there. I understand the anti-Jauron sentiments, but pass on Shanny.

Hmmm. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it possible that our very own Dick Jauron played a role in Shanahan being unemployed? After all, it was a Week 16 quasi meaningless game for the Bills IN Denver, when Dick's team beat a Bronco team that would have sealed a playoff spot with a victory. If the Broncos make it into they playoffs, then Shanny is probably still coaching there. I understand the anti-Jauron sentiments, but pass on Shanny.

i see y people think he's a great coach but It's funny he hasnt really done much after Elway retired, although he's 10x better than any coach we've had the last decade

That was $78 million gross, IIRC, in total over 5 years or so. Not sure how much he has to pay Rogers for things like renting the stadium, but even so, he's probably clearing at least $8-10 million a year net off of that deal. Some folks may not like it, but regionalizing the team is the only way the Bills stay in the general area realistically, particularly after Ralph's passing. It's also the only realistic way for this team to compete in the soon to be MLBization of the NFL once Kraft, Snyder and Jones get their way with help from other owners like McNair and Lurie.

WEO, didn't realize you were a Roch guy--we may have something in common after all. I grew up a Roch guy myself--great place to grow up.....

MattM, I have no problem with the owner making a good profit on his team. Regionalizing the team is also a smart idea which could have positive long term implications. The issue I have with the owner is his unwillingness to invest in a quality front office and coaching staff.

The owner is the architect of the management structure of this failed organization. If the owner wants to dabble in the organization, then that is his prerogative. But that doesn't excuse him for being accountable for the general performance of the organization.

There is no mystery in fielding a successful operation. Look at teams such as the Pats, Eagles, Giants etc. The recipe for success has been in the book for a vey long time. No matter what business you are in you get competent people to help you run your business. If you have been in the business for half a century and still haven't figured it out then it is futile to have any expectation of success. :doh:

I would also prefer Marty, as I think Shanahan is a very good OC he has sucked as a HC minus Elway and Davis. Also his D had gotten worse each year.

And as Shanahan assumed more control of the team after his successful Super Bowls, he assumed more control of the drafts, player personnel, and the hiring/firing of the Broncos' GMs.

He fired defensive coordinators (scapegoated) nearly every year and the consensus view of his draft classes and free agent acquisitions are that they were disastrous (remember when he traded for or claimed every member of the Cleveland Browns' defensive line?)

As a coach he's an excellent offensive strategist who used to give Bill Belichick fits. As a head coach and a guy who would want total control of a football department, the guy is a disaster IMO.

Of course Ralph would never offer him a job anyways (for all the usual reasons) and in the case of Shanahan, that's a good thing IMO.

MattM, I have no problem with the owner making a good profit on his team. Regionalizing the team is also a smart idea which could have positive long term implications. The issue I have with the owner is his unwillingness to invest in a quality front office and coaching staff.

The owner is the architect of the management structure of this failed organization. If the owner wants to dabble in the organization, then that is his prerogative. But that doesn't excuse him for being accountable for the general performance of the organization.

There is no mystery in fielding a successful operation. Look at teams such as the Pats, Eagles, Giants etc. The recipe for success has been in the book for a vey long time. No matter what business you are in you get competent people to help you run your business. If you have been in the business for half a century and still haven't figured it out then it is futile to have any expectation of success. :doh:

Fair enough, John, but notice something about the teams you quoted? All of them play in markets that are multiples of the size of WNY population-wise and many multiples when you figure in the level of disposable income. In fact, they're all in the top 10 in the US I believe (Philly is the one I'm not sure of, but suspect they're at least in the 8-10 range). The NFL is fast becoming an uneven playing field and you really can't expect the lower tier teams to compete year-in, year-out with the big boys in the major markets. Those competent people you talk about cost money, whether they be players or coaches or GMs. There's a competitive market for their services. In an increasingly unbalanced NFL, you can't expect the Bills to pay the same as other markets, it's as simple as that. People like to rip Ralph for "not spending what it takes to win", but I don't think they quite understand the economics of the situation. It's only going to get worse in the future, since the large market teams were basically the ones who chose Goodell and they're the ones he's going to listen to in terms of crafting the next League-wide CBA, if there is any. As you may have noticed, jackasses like Jerry Jones, Danny Boy Snyder and Bob Kraft don't exactly like to share....

Fair enough, John, but notice something about the teams you quoted? All of them play in markets that are multiples of the size of WNY population-wise and many multiples when you figure in the level of disposable income. In fact, they're all in the top 10 in the US I believe (Philly is the one I'm not sure of, but suspect they're at least in the 8-10 range). The NFL is fast becoming an uneven playing field and you really can't expect the lower tier teams to compete year-in, year-out with the big boys in the major markets. Those competent people you talk about cost money, whether they be players or coaches or GMs. There's a competitive market for their services. In an increasingly unbalanced NFL, you can't expect the Bills to pay the same as other markets, it's as simple as that. People like to rip Ralph for "not spending what it takes to win", but I don't think they quite understand the economics of the situation. It's only going to get worse in the future, since the large market teams were basically the ones who chose Goodell and they're the ones he's going to listen to in terms of crafting the next League-wide CBA, if there is any. As you may have noticed, jackasses like Jerry Jones, Danny Boy Snyder and Bob Kraft don't exactly like to share....

Exactly why our fans and mostly our ownership have to adopt the small market strategies for success which means they have to do a better job of beating the bushes for unheralded talent. This means better talent evaluation of players and coaches.

The Packers enjoyed great success with recent low-profile coaches such as Mike Sherman and Mike McCarthy. The Steelers hired two unproven coaches in Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin and won a Super Bowl with each. Even the maligned Jacksonville Jaguars have outperformed the Bills in recent years.

Throwing big money at name players and coaches is not the answer for success in Bflo. Assembling a solid front office is.

If you have a solid organization, a small budget team can still succeed, although it is harder.

I wonder what club Jauron will hand him when he's getting ready to tee off on a par 5.

Shanahan: Ok we got a par 5 here, its 260 to carry the water, what do you think Dicky boy?

Jauron: Well, i've answered this question the same way whenever its asked, and I believe that you really can't say for sure, but if you give it a good effort, try hard, and you practiced hard yesterday, then you really just never know what you may get. Golf is hard, we all know that, and if yo......

Shanahan: Dick, quit waiting for that other testicle to drop and hand me my driver

Shanahan: Ok we got a par 5 here, its 260 to carry the water, what do you think Dicky boy?

Jauron: Well, i've answered this question the same way whenever its asked, and I believe that you really can't say for sure, but if you give it a good effort, try hard, and you practiced hard yesterday, then you really just never know what you may get. Golf is hard, we all know that, and if yo......

Shanahan: Dick, quit waiting for that other testicle to drop and hand me my driver

lol :doh: