How we play against our AFC East foes

gjv001

Most NFL teams build their teams to be able to beat their division foes. Excluding our monday night opener against the Pat's, I will be formulating my opinion of Russ Brandon, John Guy, Tom Modrak and Dick Jauron by the teams success against division foes. I can remmember a time when Bills fan felt the team was successful if the Bills were 2 and 14. As long as the two wins were against the Dolphins. If we beat the Dolphins twice and split with the Jets and Pat's then I'll feel we are building a competitive team. If we don't and Ralph Wilson doesn't clean house ( not just firing Jauron ) then I'll resign myself to the fact that the Bills will be nothing more than the AFC East cellar deweller.

Most NFL teams build their teams to be able to beat their division foes. Excluding our monday night opener against the Pat's, I will be formulating my opinion of Russ Brandon, John Guy, Tom Modrak and Dick Jauron by the teams success against division foes. I can remmember a time when Bills fan felt the team was successful if the Bills were 2 and 14. As long as the two wins were against the Dolphins. If we beat the Dolphins twice and split with the Jets and Pat's then I'll feel we are building a competitive team. If we don't and Ralph Wilson doesn't clean house ( not just firing Jauron ) then I'll resign myself to the fact that the Bills will be nothing more than the AFC East cellar deweller.

Just two seasons ago the Bills did sweep the Jets and Dolphins to go 4-2 in the division and then of course turned it around into a 0-6 record in 2008. I am optimistic since we could have easily won the two games against the Jets and the Dolphins game in Miami (After all we were leading 16-7 in the 3rd quarter before the insanity set in)....We could have easily been 3-3 and may be 4-2 if Edwards played the game in Toronto....

So I am optimistic and not all gloom.....

This team has not been built to beat the Pats we are expected to be 0-2 against the pats each season with a miracle win every now and then but we should be expected to go 3-1 for the rest of the division Ralph expects us to sweep miami and split the Jets which leaves us 3-3 which means that we have to go 10-3 or better agains the rest of the league.

This team has not been built to beat the Pats we are expected to be 0-2 against the pats each season with a miracle win every now and then but we should be expected to go 3-1 for the rest of the division Ralph expects us to sweep miami and split the Jets which leaves us 3-3 which means that we have to go 10-3 or better agains the rest of the league.

The other way to look at it and looks more feasible....You go 7-1 at RWS and then you need only 3 wins on the road out of 8 games....Doesn't it look more positive and more do-able. Twisting words helps change your view points.

The simplest way to make the playoffs is by winning the division now that there are 2 WC's instead of 3. And routinely the Bills have drafted skill positions as opposed to OL and DL. That is, until this year. And as Bill in NYC points out, their offense and defensive philosophies do not mesh with what a cold weather team should run. That was evident against CLE in 2007. Compare that with a guy like Mike Tomlin who was adept running the T2 in Tampa and Minnesota, yet deferred to Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

It also doesn't help that NE and MIA have invested heavily in finding talent evaluators and locating good coaches. I'm not sure about NYJ yet, but it's no coincidence that the team has had the same people in the front office since the early part of this decade.