2010 Mock Draft

Astrobot

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious -- why do you think Mays is overrated? All his measurables are off the charts, and on the field he's an absolute man among boys.

You nailed it! The guy looks unreal in his pads. His dad was a good player. His 40 is ridiculous. But I don't see it translating onto the field. Maybe it's because he's had to much talent around him in the past. It's tought to shine when you are playing with 3 LB's in front of you who were all gone in the first 35 picks. He only has 1 INT over the last two years. With the talent in front of him and the Pac 10 being a "passing" conference", he should have more big plays when the ball is iin the air. He reminds me of what Roy Williams is now, a big hitter who can't cover. USC's defense is perfect for him becasue they use both safties like LB's. He will be switched to SS/WLB the same way T. Davis from Carolina was becasue of his inability to cover.

You nailed it! The guy looks unreal in his pads. His dad was a good player. His 40 is ridiculous. But I don't see it translating onto the field. Maybe it's because he's had to much talent around him in the past. It's tought to shine when you are playing with 3 LB's in front of you who were all gone in the first 35 picks. He only has 1 INT over the last two years. With the talent in front of him and the Pac 10 being a "passing" conference", he should have more big plays when the ball is iin the air. He reminds me of what Roy Williams is now, a big hitter who can't cover. USC's defense is perfect for him becasue they use both safties like LB's. He will be switched to SS/WLB the same way T. Davis from Carolina was becasue of his inability to cover.

Very fair points. My argument was that it's tough to call him overrated when he really hasn't shown anything but top-notch ability when he's on the field. With quarterbacks, you can always nit-pick things about even the best of them -- the "can't miss" guys -- that you see in their performances. For me, it's tough to say much negative about Mays, judging by his performance. You're absolutely right about the turnovers though... sounds vaguely familiar...

Very fair points. My argument was that it's tough to call him overrated when he really hasn't shown anything but top-notch ability when he's on the field. With quarterbacks, you can always nit-pick things about even the best of them -- the "can't miss" guys -- that you see in their performances. For me, it's tough to say much negative about Mays, judging by his performance. You're absolutely right about the turnovers though... sounds vaguely familiar...

Not even worth it.

The lineage of USC players scares me a bit to. Everyone wants to get on the Big Ten for sucking, which it does, but the Pac 10 hasn't been very good either. I think USC and their palyers have benefited a ton from that. Leinart, Bush (for who he was coming out and where he was picked), Jarrett, M. Williams, Justice, Colbert were all All americans and have been busts or are out of the league. The defense hasn't been much better either. S. Cody, Rucker, Bing, Startz, Udeze were all big time players too and have amounted to nothing. I'm not saying Mays is one of those guys but maybe he is taking advantage of the Pac 10. This season, the Defense is his. I read a quote from PC saying how they were going to move him around alot to showcase his talent. Maybe this year he'll be more than "pretty in pads".

Not even worth it.

The lineage of USC players scares me a bit to. Everyone wants to get on the Big Ten for sucking, which it does, but the Pac 10 hasn't been very good either. I think USC and their palyers have benefited a ton from that. Leinart, Bush (for who he was coming out and where he was picked), Jarrett, M. Williams, Justice, Colbert were all All americans and have been busts or are out of the league. The defense hasn't been much better either. S. Cody, Rucker, Bing, Startz, Udeze were all big time players too and have amounted to nothing. I'm not saying Mays is one of those guys but maybe he is taking advantage of the Pac 10. This season, the Defense is his. I read a quote from PC saying how they were going to move him around alot to showcase his talent. Maybe this year he'll be more than "pretty in pads".

Eh, you do realize that arguably the best safety in the NFL went to USC, right?

Eh, you do realize that arguably the best safety in the NFL went to USC, right?

I would assume you're talking about Ronnie Lott. He was a corner in college. Dennis Smith and Tommy Mcdonald (His son is a saftey there now) were very good safties and went there too.....20 plus years ago.

OR

I thought Lil Donte went to Ohio State!

no no no.

and again,

no no no QB in the first round, please!!

address the lines, OL, DL, whichever..

just get some talent and bada$$itude in the lines

Trent might still amount to a good QB if he gets some of the time in the pocket that the top-notch QBs do

no no no.

and again,

no no no QB in the first round, please!!

address the lines, OL, DL, whichever..

just get some talent and bada$$itude in the lines

Trent might still amount to a good QB if he gets some of the time in the pocket that the top-notch QBs do

Agreed. The lines...the lines...the lines, doesn't matter which one.

Why the hell would we draft a quarterback we can't protect? We need OL and DL.

That's always been a theory of mine. Then again, it doesn't appear to be a popular one. Detroit has an atrocious O line, yet spent the top pick on "franchise QB" Stafford instead of getting a stud like Jason Smith to protect the QB. Leading up to the draft, all the experts kept saying how you, "don't pass up a franchise QB" blah blah blah. Well, they got their man; I only hope he's not in the ICU by Week 14 due to crappy blocking.

That's always been a theory of mine. Then again, it doesn't appear to be a popular one. Detroit has an atrocious O line, yet spent the top pick on "franchise QB" Stafford instead of getting a stud like Jason Smith to protect the QB. Leading up to the draft, all the experts kept saying how you, "don't pass up a franchise QB" blah blah blah. Well, they got their man; I only hope he's not in the ICU by Week 14 due to crappy blocking.

Quite so. Have at least a half-way decent line before you spend the big bucks for that passer.

I appreciate the gate appeal of picking a top collegian QB. But were I DET, until I got the OL straightened away, I'd go for the Tebow types. I won't speculate how he will fare in the NFL, but I do think he will sell tix and provide fan entertainment.

I would assume you're talking about Ronnie Lott. He was a corner in college. Dennis Smith and Tommy Mcdonald (His son is a saftey there now) were very good safties and went there too.....20 plus years ago.

OR

I thought Lil Donte went to Ohio State!

Ronnie Lott went to USC?????

Yeah, bad miss! I missed Marc Carrieir too. Anyway, my point was about USC's players and their bust rate under Carroll. I still think Mays is more about measurables than he is about his play on the field.

Wow, I thought you were being sarcastic with the Lott comment.

Please say no to Sam Bradford. He has bust written all over him as an NFL QB.

Im just curious to know what makes you think that about Sam? He seems to have everything one would need to be a star in the NFL. He threw for 50 touchdowns last year and when under center seemed to be fine.

Everyone saying no to a QB we need O-Line, yea we need 1 or 2 guy(s). Bell, Andy L, Wood and Butler are guys who will be on the line in the future. Yea 3 of them have never played (why they will play bad this year) but look at next year they will have 16 starts under their belts.

LT-Bell, LG-Andy, C-Wood, RG-Butler, RT-Draft/FA

with Hang at back-up G/C. Butler may stick at RT also but I like him at RG.

So we are 1 or 2 guys aways from a good line.

IMO