Week 1 Wrap-Up

R. Rich

First off, props to my PENN STATE Nittany Lions!! It was nice to see JoePa back on the sidelines and fiesty as usual. Daryl Clark had a sensational first half as the Nits cruised past Akron (they had BETTER cruise past Akron!!) 31-7. While the running game sputtered (Evan Royster got only 63 yards vs Akron....ugh!), the young crop of receivers didn't fare too badly. They had some bad plays (like Graham Zug not hanging onto the ball after being hit, which led to an INT), but made some good ones, too (Chaz Powell and Derek Moye had strong starts). The defense may have found a quality replacement for the departed Aaron Maybin in another talented sophomore: 6-5, 262 lb Jack Crawford. He was impressive in his first collegiate action and still has a ways to go to reach his potential. Since the Lions don't face a really tough test 'til 09/26, when they hopefully put an end to the curse of Kirk Ferentz by beating Iowa @ home (White Out, anyone?), they should work on beefing up their O line and their running game. If they don't improve much over what I saw Saturday, they're going to underachieve this year.

Wow, for the first time in a few years, the Michigan-that school game elicits more than just a yawn from me. Both teams looked impressive in their tune up games: that school handily beating Nevada 35-0 while the Wolverines took out Western Michigan 31-7. I think Michigan QB Tate Forcier has the potential to be a very good one. He was very poised for a freshman, I thought. Meanwhile, Jimmy Clausen actually looked more like the guy who everyone thought he was coming out of high school years ago. Throwing for 315 yards and 4 TDs while having only 3 incompletions all day, he appeared to be shaking off the stink of the past few years. Only time will tell if this was a flash in the pan-type performance by him, or if he's finally ready to move into the elite QB status. A huge effort against Michigan will go a long way to showing what he's got.

Plenty has been said of the ugliness associated w/ the Boise State-Oregon game, so we'll focus on the game itself. The Boise defense was outstanding, forcing the Ducks to scramble for answers all night. I'm still scratching my head @ the call to run an option play while nearly in your own end zone. A slow developing running play deep in your end zone against a defense that has stymied you all game? Any wonder why it was a safety? None here, either. The Ducks, the most prolific offense in the NCAA last season, managed just 152 yards against Boise, their worst outing in 15 years. Now THAT'S defense! Man, I love college football. I love the quote from Bronco RB DJ Harper, who ran for 88 yards and a TD: "They came out talking a little bit thinking they owed us something, and we just came out and played our game,". Or, as Lawrence Taylor (aka the real LT) once said to Mickey Shuler after getting some payback on him for a cheap shot, "Hey, you just play, baby. Just play."

How many of you watched last night's brilliant goal line stand by the U? I was impressed. They could've folded and quit in this game, but they hung in there and snatched this one from the 'Noles. Close call, but no catch by FSU's Jarmon Fortson! How in the heck did FSU, leading 23-17 after 3, let the U whoop up on 'em 21-11 in the 4th? Christian Ponder looked solid out the gate in the 2nd half. They had things going their way. Until...

As for the games I watched and my predictions....

Oregon @ Boise State

My Prediction: Oregon 27 - Boise State 17

Final Score: Boise State 19 - Oregon 8

Yeah, I was a bit off on this one. Yikes. Great effort by the Broncs to shut Oregon up and to show everyone that they truly are for real. I did get that part right!

Georgia @ Oklahoma State

My Prediction: Oklahoma State 34 - Georgia 23

Final Score: Oklahoma State 24 - Georgia 10

This was even more of a runaway than I thought. I love how All America WR Dez Bryant rallied back from being rocked on one play to making a highlight reel TD catch later. He looked great in this win.

BYU @ Oklahoma

My Prediction: Oklahoma 38 - BYU 20

Final Score: BYU 14 - Oklahoma 13

Well, the injury to All America and Hypeman Trophy QB Sam Bradford certainly hampered the Sooners. But, give credit to BYU for showing up and refusing to lay down to Bob Stoops' mighty team. Even w/ Bradford's injury, the Sooners had the lead and just needed a defensive stand, from a Bob Stoops defense, to win the game. Or, even after the defense squandered the lead, they could've come back and won after getting down to BYU's 32 yard line. From there, RT Corey Brandon got a false start penalty called against him (his 5th penalty and OU's 9th), which made for a long FG attempt that fell short. Choke job by just 'bout any definition......even considering Bradford's injury.

Virginia Tech @ Alabama

My Prediction: Alabama 24 - Virginia Tech 13

Final Score: Alabama 34 - Virginia Tech 24

A lot was up to Tyrod Taylor's ability to generate offense. Well...no. He ran for just 26 yards on 10 attempts, and that's his strong point. His passing was equally subpar: 9 of 20 for 91 yards. Were it not for typical Beamer Ball, including some great defense and special teams play, this would've been a blowout.

Wow, for the first time in a few years, the Michigan-that school game elicits more than just a yawn from me. Both teams looked impressive in their tune up games: that school handily beating Nevada 35-0 while the Wolverines took out Western Michigan 31-7. I think Michigan QB Tate Forcier has the potential to be a very good one. He was very poised for a freshman, I thought. Meanwhile, Jimmy Clausen actually looked more like the guy who everyone thought he was coming out of high school years ago. Throwing for 315 yards and 4 TDs while having only 3 incompletions all day, he appeared to be shaking off the stink of the past few years. Only time will tell if this was a flash in the pan-type performance by him, or if he's finally ready to move into the elite QB status. A huge effort against Michigan will go a long way to showing what he's got.

I think this one comes down to coaching vs. talent. After a few years of great recruiting, ND is stacked. But despite all the bad press RR gets, I think he's a good coach who is going to turn that franchise into a championship contender given enough time. He's certainly not there yet, and I think ND's talent will end up with the win, but I don't count out RR's ability to pull off an upset.

How many of you watched last night's brilliant goal line stand by the U? I was impressed. They could've folded and quit in this game, but they hung in there and snatched this one from the 'Noles. Close call, but no catch by FSU's Jarmon Fortson! How in the heck did FSU, leading 23-17 after 3, let the U whoop up on 'em 21-11 in the 4th? Christian Ponder looked solid out the gate in the 2nd half. They had things going their way. Until...

I'm looking forward to seeing what these do against better competition. I spent that whole game in awe of how bad the defenses were. It's like they had no clue what they were doing. Just like a lot of the bad play this week, it can be chalked up to first week rust, but I certainly didn't come away from that game as impressed with those teams as a lot of people seem to be. They will be able to shut me up soon enough though. They both have tough games in the next couple of weeks. What I will say is this:

Miami: I had picked Miami to make the biggest jump this season. What I saw last year when I watched them was an incredibly fast and athletic, but VERY young and VERY inept team, especially on defense. Everything I hear about Randy Shannon is good, and I figured that with another year of coaching, they would be ready to compete. What I saw last night, mostly on defense, was the exact same thing i saw last year.

State: Every single year, no matter how bad the situation is, I have to listen to their fans talk about how they finally have a QB ready to compete. Every year I laugh at them, and every year I'm right. This year might finally be different. He still needs a lot of improvement, but Ponder actually looks like he could become a damn impressive QB.

As for the games I watched and my predictions....

Oregon @ Boise State

My Prediction: Oregon 27 - Boise State 17

Final Score: Boise State 19 - Oregon 8

Yeah, I was a bit off on this one. Yikes. Great effort by the Broncs to shut Oregon up and to show everyone that they truly are for real. I did get that part right!

Boise looked great. Too bad they won't get to show off their talent against anyone that matters all year.

Georgia @ Oklahoma State

My Prediction: Oklahoma State 34 - Georgia 23

Final Score: Oklahoma State 24 - Georgia 10

This was even more of a runaway than I thought. I love how All America WR Dez Bryant rallied back from being rocked on one play to making a highlight reel TD catch later. He looked great in this win.

GA was supposed to be in a very down year this year losing Stafford, Moreno, and Massaquoi, but I can't believe how bad their defense looked. Again, maybe just rust.

Virginia Tech @ Alabama

My Prediction: Alabama 24 - Virginia Tech 13

Final Score: Alabama 34 - Virginia Tech 24

A lot was up to Tyrod Taylor's ability to generate offense. Well...no. He ran for just 26 yards on 10 attempts, and that's his strong point. His passing was equally subpar: 9 of 20 for 91 yards. Were it not for typical Beamer Ball, including some great defense and special teams play, this would've been a blowout.

Alabama just wore them out. Really good showing by them. Barring any unforeseen events, Bama should be back in the SEC championship game. VT can join the drudge of the muddled ACC.

Some more:

Minn vs Cuse: Much better showing from SU than I was expecting. Paulus looked like a competent rookie, but the running game did better than expected, and the defensive turnaround was huge. Will probably get knocked around pretty good this week, but I'd expect improvements every week.

LSU vs Washington: Holy crap, what a difference a coach makes. Sarkisian made that team like look pretty good against what is supposed to be an LSU team ready to compete again. LSU struggled a bit more than they should have I think, but Jefferson looked good.

Missouri vs Ill: Fuggin Zook.

Miss vs Memphis: Ol Miss might have been the most over hyped team pre-season?? Maybe not, but Memphis gave them all they could handle for 3 quarters. Snead is going to have to play much better and they better hope Greg Hardy isn't injured for long. He was looking slow as a snail most of the game.

Cinci vs Rutgers: Holy crap, Tony Pike looked great and Cinci absolutely destroyed Rutgers. I was literally having a hard time watching the game I was so embarrassed for Rutgers. With a game like that in week 1, it's hard to tell weather one team was great, the other horrible, or what the combination is. Based on 1 game, I'd pick Cinci to run away with the Big East.

SC vs NC State: Once again I think that Spurrier is fielding an under performing SC team. Unless there's a big turnaround, I think this may be his last year before he hangs it up.

Navy vs Ohio St: Look out O-HI-O. USC is going to run up the score this week.

What a week it was. Congrats to BYU, yeah losing bradford was devastating for the Sooners, but the Cougars were able to suck it up and get the winning TD late in the game.

Give Washington credit, they gave LSU all they could give them, but in the end LSU just has more talent.

I think the pollsters ought to rethink the ranking they gave Georgia.

Finally on a personal note, DAMN it was great watching Michigan win again. Not only did they win, but they actually moved the ball on offense. Tate Forcier looks like a leader, he will have a lot of opportunities to show how good he can be. For the first time in a few years the Michigan-Notre Dame game will be very relevant. It'll be tough for the Wolverines to get the "W", but they will be up to the challenge. Bring on the Irish!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.