aaron maybin now a LB???!!

bbillsfan87

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/team?team=buf

i found this to be kinda strange.....its under young defensive talent under Scouts, Inc.

Why is that strange? Many people, myself included, have predicted this since draft day. It makes sense to make an undersized DE with great acceleration on the edge into an OLB, and I've felt it was pretty obvious that was the intention from the beginning.

Why is that strange? Many people, myself included, have predicted this since draft day. It makes sense to make an undersized DE with great acceleration on the edge into an OLB, and I've felt it was pretty obvious that was the intention from the beginning.

i find it strange cuz we run a 4-3 not a 3-4......maybin would be a great OLB in a 3-4....not in a 4-3 when we already have mitchell, poz, and (ellison or harris) thats why its strange...plus i havent heard of him taking any reps at olb.....and both preseason games he was in...lined up at DE....strange.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/team?team=buf

i found this to be kinda strange.....its under young defensive talent under Scouts, Inc.

Not all that strange. Hopefully he turns into a Terrell Suggs clone. Part OLB part DE. Perhaps he is the key to in-game swithces from a 4-3 to 3-4. Spencer Johnson oddly may be the other key as he has the size to play a 3-4. Could you imagine a line of Denney, Stroud, Johnson with Maybin, Mitchell, Poz, and Schobel at LB's. I am not saying that is a great or even wise but it would be a way to switch back and forth as DJ has hinted at.

Not all that strange. Hopefully he turns into a Terrell Suggs clone. Part OLB part DE. Perhaps he is the key to in-game swithces from a 4-3 to 3-4. Spencer Johnson oddly may be the other key as he has the size to play a 3-4. Could you imagine a line of Denney, Stroud, Johnson with Maybin, Mitchell, Poz, and Schobel at LB's. I am not saying that is a great or even wise but it would be a way to switch back and forth as DJ has hinted at.

im only saying it strange cuz he hasnt taken any reps at olb this off season....all at DE...not saying i wouldnt mind him at olb in a 3-4 cuz that would make sense...just saying...i found that article strange calling him a lb when hes been at de all of the preseason and off season

I predict this is what will happen:

On obvious passing downs, you will see Maybin in at DE in the 4-3. On first downs, Maybin usually will not play. On 2nd and medium to long range, the Bills shift to 3-4 and Maybin comes in at OLB. On 3rd and long we see the 4-3/nickel with Maybin at DE, and 3rd and <5 we see the 3-4 with Maybin at OLB. This is how you mitigate his disadvantage of size vs the running game and exploit his advantage at rushing the quarterback. The only problem is that the Bills lack the size on the D-line to hold up against a short yardage rushing game in a 3-4 alignment, and will have to rely on heavy blitzing to prevent short yardage first downs, which will backfire and result in big plays some of the time.

The smart thing to do against Maybin is to line up and run the ball right at him. By utilizing a system like the one described above, you assure that they will be running at him in disadvantageous situations most of the time. If the Bills let him play only at DE and on every play, he will become a liability. But if they let him roam between OLB and DE as needed, you get all of the upside with virtually zero downside.

So I don't find it strange that anyone would speculate that he might play OLB, or that the Bills haven't shown everything they intend to do to the world already. I mean as good as BB is, there is no reason to try and surprise him or anything is there?

On obvious passing downs, you will see Maybin in at DE in the 4-3. On first downs, Maybin usually will not play. On 2nd and medium to long range, the Bills shift to 3-4 and Maybin comes in at OLB. On 3rd and long we see the 4-3/nickel with Maybin at DE, and 3rd and <5 we see the 3-4 with Maybin at OLB. This is how you mitigate his disadvantage of size vs the running game and exploit his advantage at rushing the quarterback.

:censored::censored:

You never cease to amaze me.

On obvious passing downs, you will see Maybin in at DE in the 4-3. On first downs, Maybin usually will not play. On 2nd and medium to long range, the Bills shift to 3-4 and Maybin comes in at OLB. On 3rd and long we see the 4-3/nickel with Maybin at DE, and 3rd and <5 we see the 3-4 with Maybin at OLB. This is how you mitigate his disadvantage of size vs the running game and exploit his advantage at rushing the quarterback.

The smart thing to do against Maybin is to line up and run the ball right at him. By utilizing a system like the one described above, you assure that they will be running at him in disadvantageous situations most of the time. If the Bills let him play only at DE and on every play, he will become a liability. But if they let him roam between OLB and DE as needed, you get all of the upside with virtually zero downside.

So I don't find it strange that anyone would speculate that he might play OLB, or that the Bills haven't shown everything they intend to do to the world already. I mean as good as BB is, there is no reason to try and surprise him or anything is there?

i didnt see any speculation in that article.......this certainly doesn't sound like speculation...."and first-round pick LB Aaron Maybin" or this...."The addition of LB Maybin should help in this regard on throwing downs"

im only saying it strange cuz he hasnt taken any reps at olb this off season....all at DE...not saying i wouldnt mind him at olb in a 3-4 cuz that would make sense...just saying...i found that article strange calling him a lb when hes been at de all of the preseason and off season

Agree it is strange to be printed that way