Jim Kelly

CAVEDAWG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its time for Jimbo to come out of retirement and become an Offensive Coordinator!! Any thoughts?

I used to be against the idea of bringing Kelly back for nostaligia reasons, ie. everyone trying to hold on to the early 90's but in reality it may not be a horrible move for next season. He did call the plays for one of the greatest offenses in NFL history.

Realistically though nothing is going to change with this organization until it's sold and hopefully remains in Buffalo with an owner unafraid to hire good management.

Guest dog14787
Maybe its time for Jimbo to come out of retirement and become an Offensive Coordinator!! Any thoughts?

I have always thought Jim Kelly would make a very good coach, what Kelly may lack in other areas he more than makes up for as a leader and motivator. When Jim Kelly speaks, players will listen and they will play hard for him.

I have always thought Jim Kelly would make a very good coach, what Kelly may lack in other areas he more than makes up for as a leader and motivator. When Jim Kelly speaks, players will listen and they will play hard for him.

I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but what is Jim Kelly's position on this? With AVP going to OC, wouldn't it make sense to try and have Kelly serve as the QB coach? I mean really, if they're going to run no-huddle is there any other guy that could provide better mentoring for Trent?

Guest dog14787
I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but what is Jim Kelly's position on this? With AVP going to OC, wouldn't it make sense to try and have Kelly serve as the QB coach? I mean really, if they're going to run no-huddle is there any other guy that could provide better mentoring for Trent?

I wholeheartedly agree <_<

Yes...

Mike Leach

That said, I've been an advocate of having Kelly on the sidelines, in some capacity other than cheerleader, for years - and obviously there's no 'chemistry' problem between him and AVP. I think it'd be an excellent move (Kelly as QBs coach, that is).

Good, then bring him in as a motivator. The reason why great players don't go onto coaching is because they will have to work to hard for a lot less money. These guys have great lives and tons of money. I'm sorry but I don't see Jimbo sleepin at the stadium 5 nights a week. Plus, we did the whole "Bring back the 90's" thing and it failed miserably when we tapped Marv to set this franchise back another 5 years. Look around the league, no one else does this crap.

Good, then bring him in as a motivator. The reason why great players don't go onto coaching is because they will have to work to hard for a lot less money. These guys have great lives and tons of money. I'm sorry but I don't see Jimbo sleepin at the stadium 5 nights a week. Plus, we did the whole "Bring back the 90's" thing and it failed miserably when we tapped Marv to set this franchise back another 5 years. Look around the league, no one else does this crap.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting the guy comes back as an OC or Head Coach..but isn't QB coach about the level of coaching that he could provide without putting himself through the grind you are describing above? I'd also not think it was plausible if I didn't see Kelly running around the sidelines a few games a year. We're also not talking about taking a great QB and trying to form him into something he wasn't...we're talking about providing coaching for the type of system he happens to have a specific knowledge of.

Also, this isn't remotely the same as bringing back a guy of Marv's age to the strenuous and pivotal role as GM. We're talking about a QB coach...that is currently occupied by AVP....

That's why I'm wondering has it been confirmed that he's not interested as you also suggest?

Yeah, I'm not suggesting the guy comes back as an OC or Head Coach..but isn't QB coach about the level of coaching that he could provide without putting himself through the grind you are describing above? I'd also not think it was plausible if I didn't see Kelly running around the sidelines a few games a year. We're also not talking about taking a great QB and trying to form him into something he wasn't...we're talking about providing coaching for the type of system he happens to have a specific knowledge of.

Also, this isn't remotely the same as bringing back a guy of Marv's age to the strenuous and pivotal role as GM. We're talking about a QB coach...that is currently occupied by AVP....

That's why I'm wondering has it been confirmed that he's not interested as you also suggest?

If you think Kelly running around on the sidelines equates to a full time coaching job then you have no clue what it means to be a coach in the NFL OR college. The hours that these guys put in is ridiculous. 12-15 hour days BEFORE travel! My position coach in college would have meetings with dinner at his house so he could see his family, which is common. There are no days off and there is no way Kelly is going to do that.

As far as the Marv thing goes, LET THE 90'S GO! Trying to bring back players and systems from the past will do us no good. Again, no one else in the league does this. We need to bring a guy who has called a play or run an organization in the last 10 years! This 90's crap is a marketing tool for suckers. Bills miopia!

If you think Kelly running around on the sidelines equates to a full time coaching job then you have no clue what it means to be a coach in the NFL OR college. The hours that these guys put in is ridiculous. 12-15 hour days BEFORE travel! My position coach in college would have meetings with dinner at his house so he could see his family, which is common. There are no days off and there is no way Kelly is going to do that.

Unless your name is Steve Spurrier...

In 2002, the Washington Redskins brought in Steve Spurrier, whose laid-back approach to coaching was worlds apart from the amped-up style employed by his predecessor Marty Schottenheimer. "If it takes six hours to get a good plan ready, why do you need 26 hours?" asked Spurrier, who saw nothing wrong with golfing on off-days and getting to work at a leisurely 7:30 a.m.

'Course, Spurrier's the exception, and that's probably why he compiled an undistinguished 12-20 record over his 2 seasons with the 'skins.

That said, I doubt that 20-hour days would be necessary for Kelly in the role of a QB coach. HCs/OCs/DCs yeah, but not position coaches - and certainly not a QB coach. What's he supposed do when there are no QB's around to coach?

Absolutely not as a coordinator. He has no coaching experience and it smacks of bring marv back as GM for sentimental reasons. Jim was a great NFL QB that does not auomatically mean he will be a great coach.

Unless your name is Steve Spurrier...

In 2002, the Washington Redskins brought in Steve Spurrier, whose laid-back approach to coaching was worlds apart from the amped-up style employed by his predecessor Marty Schottenheimer. "If it takes six hours to get a good plan ready, why do you need 26 hours?" asked Spurrier, who saw nothing wrong with golfing on off-days and getting to work at a leisurely 7:30 a.m.

'Course, Spurrier's the exception, and that's probably why he compiled an undistinguished 12-20 record over his 2 seasons with the 'skins.

That said, I doubt that 20-hour days would be necessary for Kelly in the role of a QB coach. HCs/OCs/DCs yeah, but not position coaches - and certainly not a QB coach. What's he supposed do when there are no QB's around to coach?

Never said 20 hour days. 8-8/9 is the norm, not only for the NFL but for college as well. Then there are two a days which are pretty much 24 hours straight for a month. Do you really think the position coaches say, "Alright OC, I think Trent left so I don't think there is anything else that I can do!" That could not be further from the truth. Who do you think is watching film looking for tendancies? Coverages? Blitz packages? Fronts? This stuff is all gathered by the position coaches and filtered down to the OC/DC's and Head coach and that is exactly how it goes.

As far as the Marv thing goes, LET THE 90'S GO! Trying to bring back players and systems from the past will do us no good. Again, no one else in the league does this. We need to bring a guy who has called a play or run an organization in the last 10 years! This 90's crap is a marketing tool for suckers. Bills miopia!

No Kelly being on the sidelines was related to him still being interested in the organization...which we all know. I get your fixation on 'Letting the 90's Go', you've expressed that multiple times already. My question was pretty simple...has he commented on whether he'd be interested? I've already given you reasons why he might work in this role - if AVP wasn't fit to be the QB coach before, trying to do the same task also as the OC makes it that much more ridiculous.

Also, you're wrong if you think other teams don't bring back former playesr. Ever heard of Joe Gibbs? How about Dan Marnio? (and they agreed to let him be GM)

We're talking about the most successful no-huddle QB in history helping out a team that's suddenly stretched a under qualified QB coach into an OC. Could he help? Yeah. Is he interested? Anybody know?

Guest dog14787
Absolutely not as a coordinator. He has no coaching experience and it smacks of bring marv back as GM for sentimental reasons. Jim was a great NFL QB that does not auomatically mean he will be a great coach.

Jim Kelly was nurtured with an explosive Ted Marchibroda style offense which taught Kelly how to shoot holes into any defense he ever faced.

What makes you think Jim kelly couldn't do a better job than Turk Shonert or Steve Fairchild? at least Jim Kelly was successful at what he did on the football field and he's a great leader of men just like his HC, Marv Levy.

I think Jim Kelly learned from the best, he would be a hell of a motivator, and he would be a player magnet, everyone would want to play for Jim Kelly.

but hey, I love the guy, he's one of my biggest hereo's.....and this team needs a hero...

Jim Kelly was nurtured with an explosive Ted Marchibroda style offense which taught Kelly how to shoot holes into any defense he ever faced.

What makes you think Jim kelly couldn't do a better job than Turk Shonert or Steve Fairchild? at least Jim Kelly was successful at what he did on the football field and he's a hell of a leader of men just like his HC, Marv Levy.

I think Jim Kelly learned from the best, he would be a hell of a motivator, and he would be a player magnet, everyone would want to play for Jim Kelly.

but hey, I love the guy, he's one of my biggest hereo's.....and this team needs a hero...

Everyone would want to play for Jim? Do you mean everyone on this team or other people in the league? I bet most people outside of Buffalo could care less about Jim Kelly in terms of wanting to play for him. People want to play for Cowher, Belicheat, Dungy, etc...not ex QB's who have never coached before. I am a Jim Kelly fan, but him being our OC isnt going to matter to anyone other than Bills fans from the 90's.

Never said 20 hour days. 8-8/9 is the norm, not only for the NFL but for college as well. Then there are two a days which are pretty much 24 hours straight for a month. Do you really think the position coaches say, "Alright OC, I think Trent left so I don't think there is anything else that I can do!" That could not be further from the truth. Who do you think is watching film looking for tendancies? Coverages? Blitz packages? Fronts? This stuff is all gathered by the position coaches and filtered down to the OC/DC's and Head coach and that is exactly how it goes.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Jim can coach the QBs in practice and get his film-watching done in a reasonable time-period, w/out being a workaholic. In fact, judging from the frequently empty parking lots at OBD, I'd say most of the Bills coaches do.

(Again, I'm talking about Kelly as QBs coach - not as OC, which I agree is probably more work than JK's willing to commit.)

No Kelly being on the sidelines was related to him still being interested in the organization...which we all know. I get your fixation on 'Letting the 90's Go', you've expressed that multiple times already. My question was pretty simple...has he commented on whether he'd be interested? I've already given you reasons why he might work in this role - if AVP wasn't fit to be the QB coach before, trying to do the same task also as the OC makes it that much more ridiculous.

Also, you're wrong if you think other teams don't bring back former playesr. Ever heard of Joe Gibbs? How about Dan Marnio? (and they agreed to let him be GM)

We're talking about the most successful no-huddle QB in history helping out a team that's suddenly stretched a under qualified QB coach into an OC. Could he help? Yeah. Is he interested? Anybody know?

I'm sure Kelly is fine doing exactly what he is doing. He is the face/spokeman for the Bills, a diplomat who is respected throughout the league and even in the national media. That is all he wants. If he wanted to come back and coach he would've done so already.

They brought back Gibbs to do what he did before, coach. He never played fotball. How long did Marino last? 3 weeks! He probably didn't know he had to work. Teams don't do it because these guys played, they never coached and there is a huge difference.

Why do you think no one else adopted the "No Huddle/ K-Gun"? It was certainly very successful right? Because it's an archaic offense! It's the same reason why teams don't strickly run the spread or the single wing. You can't win with ONE Offensive philosiphy. Kelly last game was almost 15 years ago, I doubt he's been breaking down tape! Whenever you see him at games his face is as red as Belichick's ass! I don't think he's charting defenses, he's playing the "3 and out" drinking game" up in his luxury box! COME ON PEOPLE!!!!

Guest dog14787
Everyone would want to play for Jim? Do you mean everyone on this team or other people in the league? I bet most people outside of Buffalo could care less about Jim Kelly in terms of wanting to play for him. People want to play for Cowher, Belicheat, Dungy, etc...not ex QB's who have never coached before. I am a Jim Kelly fan, but him being our OC isnt going to matter to anyone other than Bills fans from the 90's.

I'm talking QB coach or OC and you throw SB winning HC's up in a post, so what.

Jim Kelly is a HOF QB and I do think offensive players throughout the league would find playing for Jim Kelly appealing.

I'm sure Kelly is fine doing exactly what he is doing. He is the face/spokeman for the Bills, a diplomat who is respected throughout the league and even in the national media. That is all he wants. If he wanted to come back and coach he would've done so already.

They brought back Gibbs to do what he did before, coach. He never played fotball. How long did Marino last? 3 weeks! He probably didn't know he had to work. Teams don't do it because these guys played, they never coached and there is a huge difference.

Why do you think no one else adopted the "No Huddle/ K-Gun"? It was certainly very successful right? Because it's an archaic offense! It's the same reason why teams don't strickly run the spread or the single wing. You can't win with ONE Offensive philosiphy. Kelly last game was almost 15 years ago, I doubt he's been breaking down tape! Whenever you see him at games his face is as red as Belichick's ass! I don't think he's charting defenses, he's playing the "3 and out" drinking game" up in his luxury box! COME ON PEOPLE!!!!

I can't figure out whether you're Alex, or Eric? :worthy: