Is there any film on AVP as a co-ordinator?

Simon

Goofy as it is to do it 10 days before the season, I get the feeling that Belichik's job just got a little bit tougher. Not to mention the first month's worth of D co-ordinators we're going to be facing.

Good grief this is wacky...... :thumbsup:

Goofy as it is to do it 10 days before the season, I get the feeling that Belichik's job just got a little bit tougher. Not to mention the first month's worth of D co-ordinators we're going to be facing.

It's hard to say because the base scheme can't change much. It is interesting to hear that the Bills claim they are staying with the no-huddle as the concept was supposed to put much of the play calling in Edwards hands. This runs somewhat counter to the statement that AVP will call plays and Studsville will have more input.

My guess is that AVP will call plays and that the no-huddle will be used only for change of pace within a game and not as the offense as it was in the k-gun days. The fact that a change was made has to lead you to believe there has to be modification of play calling. I also wonder if there was a loss of confidence between Trent Edwards and Turk. Edwards comment about following coaches instruction seems to hint at this possibility.

Jauron's presser comments suggest that he did not think about this change before the last day or two. I find that hard to believe as Jauron would never be accused of being spontaneous. I also assume he had to cover the decision with RW.

He was a coordinator in NFL Europe for a year.

But that's beside the point. There's no time to make more than tiny changes to the playbook. The effect will be felt almost totally in playcalling. And the whole point of playcalling is to be unpredictable. If he's good, nobody will be able to predict him. If he's bad, he will be predictable, and that will be noticeable right from the get-go, history or not.

It's hard to say because the base scheme can't change much. It is interesting to hear that the Bills claim they are staying with the no-huddle as the concept was supposed to put much of the play calling in Edwards hands. This runs somewhat counter to the statement that AVP will call plays and Studsville will have more input.

My guess is that AVP will call plays and that the no-huddle will be used only for change of pace within a game and not as the offense as it was in the k-gun days. The fact that a change was made has to lead you to believe there has to be modification of play calling. I also wonder if there was a loss of confidence between Trent Edwards and Turk. Edwards comment about following coaches instruction seems to hint at this possibility.

Jauron's presser comments suggest that he did not think about this change before the last day or two. I find that hard to believe as Jauron would never be accused of being spontaneous. I also assume he had to cover the decision with RW.

Tim Graham mentioned in his chat, even though DJ wouldn't admit to it, that the feelings of Trent towards Turk and TE's closeness with AVP had something to do with this.

Goodell ordered NFL Network to burn all NFL Europe footage they had...

Stats galore of the 2005 Frankfurt Galaxy (QBs Akili Smith and Kevin Eakin):

first column Galaxy second column oponents

TOTAL FIRST DOWNS 153 218

Rushing 39 90

Passing 99 101

Penalty 15 27

3rd Down: Made/Att 40/116 56/133

3rd Down Pct. 34.5% 42.1%

4th Down: Made/Att 7/9 8/12

4th Down Pct. 77.8% 66.7%

POSSESSION AVG. 27:43 33:10

TOTAL NET YARDS 2,695 2,089

Avg. Per Game 269.5 208.9

Total Plays 543 335

Avg. Per Play 5.0 6.2

NET YARDS RUSHING 837 1,600

Avg. Per Game 83.7 160.0

Total Rushes 235 320

NET YARDS PASSING 1,858 2,089

Avg. Per Game 185.8 208.9

Sacked/Yards Lost 18/147 22/126

Gross Yards 2,005 2,215

Att/Completions 290/170 313/176

Completion Pct. 58.6% 56.2%

Had Intercepted 8 9

PUNTS/AVERAGE 46/39.4 31/41.5

Net Punting Average 34.8 35.2

PENALTIES/YARDS 102/811 88/718

FUMBLES/BALL LOST 16/8 9/4

TOUCHDOWNS 20 27

Rushing 6 14

Passing 13 12

Returns 1 1

Now gimme cookie...

If he's bad, he will be predictable, and that will be noticeable right from the get-go, history or not.

There wouldn't be any predictability in Week 1.

But I didn't realize he called an offense in NFLE, so Belichik will have something else to watch in addition to the tapes of the Bills' practices this week.

One thing I do like about his lack of experience is that he's not likely set in his ways. I'm waaaaaay sick of coaches who are married to a system and insist on utilizing it regardless of whether it's appropriate for your available personell. With any luck AVP will at least try to adjust to his players strengths and weaknesses instead of forcing them to adjust to his.

With any luck AVP will at least try to adjust to his players strengths and weaknesses instead of forcing them to adjust to his.

Say what you want about him otherwise but Fewell has done some of this on the defensive side of the ball.

However, AVP can't change from the base scheme at this point in time so nuances will have to come through alteration of play calling and limited additions to the playbook.

I also have to wonder how much in the way they prepare will change. This could be significantly different under AVP.

Say what you want about him otherwise but Fewell has done some of this on the defensive side of the ball.

However, AVP can't change from the base scheme at this point in time so nuances will have to come through alteration of play calling and limited additions to the playbook.

I also have to wonder how much in the way they prepare will change. This could be significantly different under AVP.

Agreed. But I'd add that those alterations in playcalling could go some way towards maximizing his guys' strengths.

And fwiw I don't have major problems with Fewell. I wouldn't mind him being a little more agressive and a bit less predictable but overall he does solid work.

Agreed. But I'd add that those alterations in playcalling could go some way towards maximizing his guys' strengths.

And fwiw I don't have major problems with Fewell. I wouldn't mind him being a little more agressive and a bit less predictable but overall he does solid work.

One of the lesser discussed parts is indeed that the Defense did look a step up from last year so far.

One of the lesser discussed parts is indeed that the Defense did look a step up from last year so far.

Agreed and this is with only a glimpse of what Maybin may bring to the table. I think as long as the offense does not create a situation where time of possession is way out of whack we have the potential to be a top 10 defense this year. Pass rush is still a question but Maybin seems to have the right stuff and Schobel's return should be an instant boost. I also think we will see Poz more active in blitzes this year.

If the offense minimizes turnovers and gets healthy in the red zone the Bills will be competitive. Problem is that the results of the preseason suggest that on the offensive side of the ball that they may have taken a step back from last year. Given how bad they were its hard to believe this could happen.

, so Belichik will have something else to watch in addition to the tapes of the Bills' practices this week.

I doubt he'll gain much from watching that footage, it's still Turks playbook and nothing like the Galaxy playbook and it will remain that way throughout the season, best we can hope for is some tweaks in plays but the real gain should come from which plays are called and in which way. AVP was calling a pass happy defense in Europe but that was also due to having lost their #1 and #2 runningback early in the season if I'm correct. Predictability wise his 3rd down stats look terrible.

I doubt he'll gain much from watching that footage, it's still Turks playbook and nothing like the Galaxy playbook and it will remain that way throughout the season, best we can hope for is some tweaks in plays but the real gain should come from which plays are called and in which way. AVP was calling a pass happy defense in Europe but that was also due to having lost their #1 and #2 runningback early in the season if I'm correct. Predictability wise his 3rd down stats look terrible.

True at best Bellicheat* gets an apples to oranges look at AVP. Then again, I doubt Bellicheat* needs much to go on anyway. I actually wonder if the Bills will open things up a bit for this one game. AVP has never struck me as a gambler but you do have to think that it would be much more of a surprise to the Patriots* if the Bills came out tossing the ball rather than being conservative.

History, the results of the preseason and a new o-line all suggest that the "probable" call from a gameplan perspective is to be conservative. However, the "right" call may be to do exactly the opposite. T.O. will be healthy your premier running back is not available and Bellicheat* will have no reliable film to fall back on. What an opportunity to make a statement.

The no-huddle the Bills were running did not have TE calling his own plays. Turk was calling the plays and now AVP will call the plays. They plan to still run this type of no-huddle even though Turk is gone.

He was a coordinator in NFL Europe for a year.

But that's beside the point. There's no time to make more than tiny changes to the playbook. The effect will be felt almost totally in playcalling. And the whole point of playcalling is to be unpredictable. If he's good, nobody will be able to predict him. If he's bad, he will be predictable, and that will be noticeable right from the get-go, history or not.

ESPN said that AVP had not been a coordinator at any level but he did have that year as coordinator in NFL Europe. I remember seeing a clip of AVP being interviewed in Europe a few years ago and showing him calling plays from the pressbox. I don't know if there could be a link for that somewhere. But AVP mentioned in that interview that he liked having the responsibility of calling the plays. My thinking is that he at least might be some improvement on Turk and the team won't do any worse with Turk gone.

ESPN said that AVP had not been a coordinator at any level but he did have that year as coordinator in NFL Europe. I remember seeing a clip of AVP being interviewed in Europe a few years ago and showing him calling plays from the pressbox. I don't know if there could be a link for that somewhere. But AVP mentioned in that interview that he liked having the responsibility of calling the plays. My thinking is that he at least might be some improvement on Turk and the team won't do any worse with Turk gone.

Well, I didnt pull those stats out of my hiney or post them for lolz. See post 5 in this thread for his offensive stats whilst calling the plays for Frankfurt, also his wiki also has that info and his coaching profile on bb.com. NFL.com has sort of destroyed all historical data at nfl.com and nfleurope.com but take my word for it he was there.

Also I think (dont know for a fact) that AVP played a big role in cutting Nall and bringing in Hamdan. As he had seen a lot of tape on Hamdan (who was the guy to beat in 2005 and 2006) as part of the coaching staff of Frankfurt.