Why Are You A Bills Fan?

cmjoyce113

Like a previous post, born and raised in Buffalo, moved to Denver in 1970. Many here believe I should be a Broncos fan, but I just can't do it. In the 60's my Dad and I would go to my Uncle Joe's house. He worked for Zenith and had a huge TV antenna and could pull in the home games from Rochester. Miss my Dad and all those early years of the Bills. Things sure have changed, but my heart is with the Bills always.

My dad (80) is a fan but my mother (84) is the bigger fan. She still sits in her nice comfy chair every Sunday (a bit less enthusiastic since Van's no longer calling the games) with her radio tuned to the game. She doesn't like it on TV...too hard to follow sometimes. Maybe you (the original poster) should ask those people why they're fans and you'd have your answers. It's going to be a sad day when that chair goes empty and that radio silent on Sundays during the fall.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer: Lucky enough being an only kid, I was able to control the TV back in the early 80's and the Bills were on NBC a lot here in Philadelphia. (After the SB loss in 81 I left the Iggles quickly) I fell in love with Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, Charles Romes & Derrick Burroughs & I never looked back. I do admit, that it took Kelly's arrival to officially lock me in as a 'Die Hard' Bills fan.

Two reasons at this point:

1. Born and raised in Buffalo. Went to games at the Rockpile and Rich Stadium. My Dad's team and thus my team. Moved to southeast Florida in the 60's.

2. General spite for the Dolphins. I never could see the reasoning behind moving and blindly switching your allegiance to another team just because you moved. I left home at 18, but I didn't get new parents. Even if the Bills fold and move to LA, I will NEVER be a Dolphins fan. Ever.

Listening to a football game (any game) on AM radio in the car reminds me of riding with my dad many, many years ago with the Bills on the radio. Him drving with a sandwich in one hand, a beer in the other, and a smoke buring in the car's ashtray. Ahhhh, the good ole days.

:flirt:

My old man had the radio sitting on top of the TV, watching whatever game WAS on, listening to the Bills. I also remember going with my dad to a game in December where I was dressed like ralphie in "Christmas Story." Jeez my mother was paranoid...

1. Born and raised in Buffalo. Went to games at the Rockpile and Rich Stadium. My Dad's team and thus my team. Moved to southeast Florida in the 60's.

2. General spite for the Dolphins. I never could see the reasoning behind moving and blindly switching your allegiance to another team just because you moved. I left home at 18, but I didn't get new parents. Even if the Bills fold and move to LA, I will NEVER be a Dolphins fan. Ever.

1. Ditto except I moved to Chicago

2. Blind rage against the F'ing Fins. I will hate the Fins with every fiber of my being. Don Shula is the Anti-Christ.

#2, Man, I miss Miami vs. Buffalo MNF games....I lived for those match ups.

I am a Bills fan because I was born, bred and raised in Buffalo. I have experienced the horror of back to back 2-14 seasons, and the joy of four consecutive superbowl appearances. I bleed red white and blue on sundays 16 weeks a year. I will root for the bills until the day they stick me in the ground or the Bills move from Buffalo.

The above paragraph does not mean that I must blindly believe the hype spewed every year by the best marketing team in football that this is the year they will return to the playoffs. It isn't. They are going to be horrible this year. That is a reality and the sooner you embrace that fact the less this season will hurt. Being a Bills fan does not require one to ignore the obvious.

Frankly, I hope they win two games this year. That should guarantee them the top pick in the draft, and should guarantee the end of the Jauron era, and maybe even a blood letting in the front office. Nothing will change until that happens. Maybe the promise of the first overall pick will be enough to lure a competent GM and head coach to buffalo, so that we can FINALLY get this train turned around and headed in the right direction. Right now its headed for a cliff.

Go ahead and be an optimist. I think its foolish, but I won't begrudge you that right. All I ask in return is that you not question my fandom for holding an opinion different than yours.

RIGHT ON! :flirt:

It's like breathing, almost involuntary. I don't think about it, or why I do it, I just am a Bills fan. But when the air smells I reserve the right to complain about the smell even though I still appreciate that I am breathing.

It all started with the Christmas my mom got me a new radio, and I listened to WGR play the Bills 12 Days of Christmas over, and over, and over. Then I cemented it by breaking two commandments. Another kid got a neat Bills pencil sharpener and I coveted it, then I stole it. I cannot abandon the team for which,as a nine year old kid, I put myself in jeopardy with the almighty.

I am a Bills fan because I hate the Cowboys. I am in Texas and when the Bills played the Cowboys in the SB back in the day, I rooted for the Bills and never stopped rooting for them for some GODDAMN reason!!!

The only thing that keeps me sane is the Bills winning the SB on my XBOX!!

i played football all the time in school and with my friends on the block as a kid. the first time i really sat down to watch a game from start to finish was a monday night beating of the jets in 1990. i was 10 yrs old. never looked back. even the famous "wide right" didnt break me.

there is too much bill hating on this forum sometimes. kind of annoying. but hey, i can always go back to work! lol.

go bills!

Brian Cox has to get in line behind Czonka, Warfield, Griese, Fernandez, Scott, and Buoniconti.

I go way back.

I was going to say Czonka but did not want to suggest you were as old as I am (pre-dirt era). I hear you but in a sick way I would have taken Czonka on my team - I hate him - but at the same time admire his toughness. He must get sick seeing how some of the modern players have to go to the sidelines when they think they have stubbed their toe.

I was going to say Czonka but did not want to suggest you were as old as I am (pre-dirt era). I hear you but in a sick way I would have taken Czonka on my team - I hate him - but at the same time admire his toughness. He must get sick seeing how some of the modern players have to go to the sidelines when they think they have stubbed their toe.

I learned to hate him pounding away at will for 5 yards per carry right up the middle.

Freaking Jim Cheyunski trying to tackle the bastard.

I am a Bills fan because I was born, bred and raised in Buffalo. I have experienced the horror of back to back 2-14 seasons, and the joy of four consecutive superbowl appearances. I bleed red white and blue on sundays 16 weeks a year. I will root for the bills until the day they stick me in the ground or the Bills move from Buffalo.

The above paragraph does not mean that I must blindly believe the hype spewed every year by the best marketing team in football that this is the year they will return to the playoffs. It isn't. They are going to be horrible this year. That is a reality and the sooner you embrace that fact the less this season will hurt. Being a Bills fan does not require one to ignore the obvious.

Frankly, I hope they win two games this year. That should guarantee them the top pick in the draft, and should guarantee the end of the Jauron era, and maybe even a blood letting in the front office. Nothing will change until that happens. Maybe the promise of the first overall pick will be enough to lure a competent GM and head coach to buffalo, so that we can FINALLY get this train turned around and headed in the right direction. Right now its headed for a cliff.

Go ahead and be an optimist. I think its foolish, but I won't begrudge you that right. All I ask in return is that you not question my fandom for holding an opinion different than yours.

Good post and it is great to see varied opinions on things...it is what makes America great!

Go Bills!

My Dad and I always had to watch the Cleveland Browns games on Sunday's - - that's all there was on TV. Then, the Bills came to town - my town in East Aurora - and we went to see them practice at the Knox Polo fields. When I saw great big guys sweating, knocking people around and fighting in practice I was hooked. It was a rough, tough mans game and these guys were actually getting paid to play football. I've been hooked ever since - - it's an addiction and I love it!

My dad (80) is a fan but my mother (84) is the bigger fan. She still sits in her nice comfy chair every Sunday (a bit less enthusiastic since Van's no longer calling the games) with her radio tuned to the game. She doesn't like it on TV...too hard to follow sometimes. Maybe you (the original poster) should ask those people why they're fans and you'd have your answers. It's going to be a sad day when that chair goes empty and that radio silent on Sundays during the fall.

When I was a kid, my Grandfather used to tell me about going to the rock-pile and with his gleam in his eye and I knew it was special to him. Then, when I was a little older, I attended my first Bills game in 1977, so I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. To me, it is sad that it seems to be all about marketing now. I know that marketing and get every dollar you can has it's place, but do you really have to hire a marketing guy instead of a football guy for a GM? And why not make sure that the team stays in WNY? Haven't enough fans paid their dues? Come on. Listen to Jim Kelly. He seems to have it figured out. Hopefully the Bills stay in WNY, win the Superbowl, and your Mother listens to the game. It happened for the Red Sox - right?

When I was a kid, my Grandfather used to tell me about going to the rock-pile and with his gleam in his eye and I knew it was special to him. Then, when I was a little older, I attended my first Bills game in 1977, so I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. To me, it is sad that it seems to be all about marketing now. I know that marketing and get every dollar you can has it's place, but do you really have to hire a marketing guy instead of a football guy for a GM? And why not make sure that the team stays in WNY? Haven't enough fans paid their dues? Come on. Listen to Jim Kelly. He seems to have it figured out. Hopefully the Bills stay in WNY, win the Superbowl, and your Mother listens to the game. It happened for the Red Sox - right?

My Grandfather took me to my first game when I was about ten years old. I was hooked by the enormity of it all. I was so enthralled with the event ...wow. Then the SB years while heartbreaking also fortified my belief in the Bills. I love the team and by extension I love the city. h