Watching Maybin & Ellis, Bills need to go 3-4 tomorrow

VJ91

Enough of this Bills should play the 3-4 crap.... I like the Bills to stay in the 4-3 for the foreseeable future. I would like them to play a system that the Giants play where they rely on the DE's for pass rush and use the DT's as run stuffers to make it hard to step up into the pocket. Than the Linebackers are run guys first blitzers second....

Really? Wow, I would to love see the Bills defense play like the Giants too. If they did play their 4-3 like the Giants, we would not be having this debate now would we? But the reality of Perry Fewell's boys is that the ends don't pressure the QB's with any semlence of a pass rush, the light tackles don't stuff the run on a consistent basis, and the 3 linebackers spend more time over-persuing, and taking wrong first steps almost every other play, that they really don't stuff the run "first", and get any pressure blitzing "second."

Now these are NFL football players. Kawika Mitchell excelled in your Giants 4-3 and won a SB as a starting LB for them. Poz is looking faster and stronger this season, and even Ellison continues to beat down his critics with his effort and speed. Kyle Williams motor never stops running and Marcus Stroud is a proven Pro Bowl performer with 8 or 9 years of experience at the highest level of play. Give these 5 players to most defensive cooridnators in the NFL and they will be able to build a solid 4-3 defense by adding two very good DE's. The Bills seem to have some very good young inexperienced DE's already on the roster.

But I cannot put all the blame on Schoebel, Denny and Kelsay. I believe Fewell's coaching sucks. On one basic running play the Steelers gained over 10 yards and an easy first down, or may have even walked into the end zone untouched - I don't remember exactly the play, but I watched Poz take a huge step to the right, even though the entire play started left and continued left. Poz cannot possibly be that stupid, so once again, Perry had one of his maddening "schemes" going that effectively took his young rising star MLB out of the play without even needing to be blocked.

This "over-coaching" with stunts and schemes is pathetic. Poz wants to be emulate Urlacher. Has Fewell ever watched Urlacher play football? He runs from sideline to sideline, making plays all over the damn field. Brian Urlacher does not need to stunt and scheme every other play. He simply uses his natural talent and instincts to make plays. Perry Fewell only cares about asignments, filling gaps, running stupid stunts, and his precious schemes.

He better be ready to make it all come together in just over two weeks, because Tom Brady, if healthy, will slice up his schemes and stunts like swiss cheese all night long, if this is as good as it is going to be for yet another season. :lol:

At least Maybin is wearing the correct number - 58, because this kid has Pro Bowl outside LB written all over him. I would dump this stupid 2-gap crap and go 3-4 starting in practice tomorrow. Here's my 3-4 starting 7: OLB's: Maybin and Ellison or Harris. ILB's: Poz and Mitchell. NoseGuard: Stroud & Williams in rotation. Ends: Schoebel & Ellis. By using the 3-4 alignment, we can finally send Kelsay to the bench permenantly, and remove one of the 4 roating fat stiffs at DT who go 16 game seasons without so much as a QB pressure, or tackle behind the line of scrimmage. In their place, we will have young fast ends and linebackers who can use their natural speed and instincts more to their advantage.

I am sick and tired of watching all those decent to good defenders in Fewell's frustrating schemes over-persuing plays and never, ever getting enough pressure on the QB on 2nd or 3rd and long to enable themselves to get the hell off the damn field. ;):lol:

In your lineup:

1) our noseguards, Stroud and Williams, are WAY too small to be noseguards in a 3 - 4.

2) our DEs, Schobel and Ellis are WAY WAY too small to be DEs in a 3 - 4. 3 - 4 DEs are BIGGER than 4 - 3 DEs, and our DEs are already almost too small for the 4 - 3, much less the 3 - 4.

You seem to think that 3 - 4 ends are fast, they aren't, they are tough and much bigger. Hell, the Packers are using the 335 pound Raji as a 3 - 4 DE.

We don't have the personnel, not even close. It would take two years to bring in the people to make it work.

I always thought the great coordinators and head coaches set up schemes to play to their players strengths. If Dick & Perry are so married to this 4-3 scheme, then the FO sucks at finding the right types of players to play in it.

You're just realizing now the crux of the problem?

The Bills seem to have some very good young inexperienced DE's already on the roster.

Schobel, Denny and Kelsay are hardly young and inexperienced having at least 7 years of experience each. I'd describe them more as mediocre and on the downside of their careers. Maybin is an over rated tweener.

unfortunately we dont have a single guy n the roster to fill any of the 3 spots up from. Stroud would be a DE in the 3-4, as would Johnosn and possibly Kelsay. Williams would have a shot at the nose. Schobel Maybin and Ellis would all be OLB's

Schobel, Denny and Kelsay are hardly young and inexperienced having at least 7 years of experience each. I'd describe them more as mediocre and on the downside of their careers. Maybin is an over rated tweener.

...right. When I said good inexperienced DE's I meant the young inexperienced DE's already on the roster. That would be Chris Ellis and Aaron Maybin, and a few of the others that seem to play much better then the more experienced Schoebel, Denny & Kelsay.

At least Maybin is wearing the correct number - 58, because this kid has Pro Bowl outside LB written all over him. I would dump this stupid 2-gap crap and go 3-4 starting in practice tomorrow. Here's my 3-4 starting 7: OLB's: Maybin and Ellison or Harris. ILB's: Poz and Mitchell. NoseGuard: Stroud & Williams in rotation. Ends: Schoebel & Ellis. By using the 3-4 alignment, we can finally send Kelsay to the bench permenantly, and remove one of the 4 roating fat stiffs at DT who go 16 game seasons without so much as a QB pressure, or tackle behind the line of scrimmage. In their place, we will have young fast ends and linebackers who can use their natural speed and instincts more to their advantage.

I am sick and tired of watching all those decent to good defenders in Fewell's frustrating schemes over-persuing plays and never, ever getting enough pressure on the QB on 2nd or 3rd and long to enable themselves to get the hell off the damn field. B-):lol:

I only see one problem. We don't have a true nose tackle for the 3-4. You have to have a wide body at nose in the 3-4. Our ends aren't 3-4 ends for that matter.

I am sick and tired of watching all those decent to good defenders in Fewell's frustrating schemes over-persuing plays and never, ever getting enough pressure on the QB on 2nd or 3rd and long to enable themselves to get the hell off the damn field. :sick::devil:

Chris Ellis and Schobel playing DE's in a 3-4. Wow, you know absolutely nothing about football. Teams need two 300 pound DE's to run a legit 3-4 with a big fat ass nose tackle taking up space in the middle. Then you need some large, fast, athletic linebackers. Maybin would be a good OLB and Poz would be a good ILB, but that's about it.

You people make it sound like 3-4 is the only way to have a good defense in this league. The G-men are one of the top defenses every year and they run a 4-3. So don't give me that crap.