Yet another health care thread

saw this article about the french system and they had this little piece of information about how infant mortality rates are calculated......the entire article is here

Official World Health Organization statistics show the U.S. lagging behind France in infant mortality rates — 6.7 per 1,000 live births vs. 3.8 for France. Halderman notes that in the U.S., any infant born that shows any sign of life for any length of time is considered a live birth. In France — in fact, in most of the European Union — any baby born before 26 weeks' gestation is not considered alive and therefore doesn't "count" in reported infant mortality rates.

saw this article about the french system and they had this little piece of information about how infant mortality rates are calculated......the entire article is here

That doesn't sound right - by that logic, a French doctor could punt a preemie like a football, because "It's not alive". I want independent confirmation.

can't confirm or deny...just found it interesting if true...just shows how useless or useful stats can be at the exact same time...and if euro docs do in fact punt preemies, hopefully they don't do it at the new cowboy's stadium.....

That doesn't sound right - by that logic, a French doctor could punt a preemie like a football, because "It's not alive". I want independent confirmation.

It's true. The U.S. uses the WHO definition of "live birth" (any attempt at respiration or a cardiac rhythm after birth) while other countries disallow babies who were born before 26 weeks, weigh less than half a kilo, or die within 24 hours after birth. Taking this into account, the U.S. has the lowest infant mortality rate in the world.

It's true. The U.S. uses the WHO definition of "live birth" (any attempt at respiration or a cardiac rhythm after birth) while other countries disallow babies who were born before 26 weeks, weigh less than half a kilo, or die within 24 hours after birth. Taking this into account, the U.S. has the lowest infant mortality rate in the world.

Yeah, because when I suggested that I might want confirmation of an Investor's Business Daily story, I was specifically thinking of confirmation by some anonymous yahoo on teh interwebs who calls himself "ThereIsNoDog".

hahahahaha.....ya know...one of my all time favorite songs by Peter Gabriel is "DIY".... :wallbash:

but here is a starting point....

From US News & World Report

Yeah, because when I suggested that I might want confirmation of an Investor's Business Daily story, I was specifically thinking of confirmation by some anonymous yahoo on teh interwebs who calls himself "ThereIsNoDog".

Confirm what I already know when you get a chance, sparky. And then I'll accept the apology.

Confirm what I already know when you get a chance, sparky. And then I'll accept the apology.

:lol::lol: You're not getting an apology. I didn't say you were right or wrong. I just said that I wouldn't turn to you for confirmation of the story. I still won't. So what the !@#$ do I have to apologize for?

:lol::lol: You're not getting an apology. I didn't say you were right or wrong. I just said that I wouldn't turn to you for confirmation of the story. I still won't. So what the !@#$ do I have to apologize for?

For being a "yahoo."

Oh and in addition, some countries don't count babies who are less than 30 cm in length.

For being a "yahoo."

Being a "yahoo" is somehow defined as not considering you a source of information greater than Investor's Business Daily?

Again, what the !@#$ do I have to apologize for?

Oh and in addition, some countries don't count babies who are less than 30 cm in length.

Yeah, again, I'm going to need confirmation of that from a source a little more credible than you.

Being a "yahoo" is somehow defined as not considering you a source of information greater than Investor's Business Daily?

Again, what the !@#$ do I have to apologize for?

Yeah, again, I'm going to need confirmation of that from a source a little more credible than you.

Let me know when you find it, chief.

Good question. You're better off waiting for that "independent confirmation," sport.

You're really, really upset that I don't equate your posts with my own ability to read and research a topic, aren't you kid? :lol:

News flash, space cadet: I don't need your input. I never asked for it. I don't care (aside from the amusement factor of it) that your panties are all in a twist because I don't think you're as important or authoritative as you think you are.

You're really, really upset that I don't equate your posts with my own ability to read and research a topic, aren't you kid? :lol:

News flash, space cadet: I don't need your input. I never asked for it. I don't care (aside from the amusement factor of it) that your panties are all in a twist because I don't think you're as important or authoritative as you think you are.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I cared what you think. You're obviously not an authority on the subject, despite what "doesn't sound right" to you, nor do you care to get the facts, which is really about what I was commenting. I know what I know, but I won't claim to be an "authority" on the matter of statistical reporting of infant mortality and how some nations will lie to make themselves sound better to the rest of the world (sound right to you?). Whether you choose to believe iwhat I've said or not is your prerogative. But taking the tack you did, as well as calling people "yahoos" makes you look like a moron. Not that I believe you care, and you probably shouldn't, since admittedly I'm not an authority on morons.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I cared what you think. You're obviously not an authority on the subject, despite what "doesn't sound right" to you, nor do you care to get the facts, which is really about what I was commenting. I know what I know, but I won't claim to be an "authority" on the matter of statistical reporting of infant mortality and how some nations will lie to make themselves sound better to the rest of the world (sound right to you?). Whether you choose to believe iwhat I've said or not is your prerogative. But taking the tack you did, as well as calling people "yahoos" makes you look like a moron. Not that I believe you care, and you probably shouldn't, since admittedly I'm not an authority on morons.

You won't claim to be an authority...and yet, that's just how you acted, and then got all pissy about it when I didn't take you seriously, and NOW apparently claim I'm not interested in facts because I won't listen to you (which I won't) and won't look them up myself (which I already have). :lol:

You won't claim to be an authority...and yet, that's just how you acted, and then got all pissy about it when I didn't take you seriously, and NOW apparently claim I'm not interested in facts because I won't listen to you (which I won't) and won't look them up myself (which I already have). :lol:

Now, why would you go and do that? And did you find that true authority yet?