Chargers QB Rivers gets contract extension

Thoner7

As expected, Phillip Rivers signed a lucrative contract extension today. It is a 6 yr deal worth $93 Mil and $38 Mil guaranteed.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/0...guaranteed.html

This deal is worth less than Eli's, but more money is guaranteed.

As wishful thinker, this may impact the Bills 2010 off season. Chargers players RB Darren Sproles, WRs V. Jackson and C.Chambers, LT McNiel, And LB Merriman are ALL free agents. I have a hard time believing they can resign all, or even half, of these players. I believe Merriman is the odd man out as the Chargers extend Merriman's backup last season to a high dollar deal and drafted Larry English. Merriman could play LB or DE for the Bills in 2010. A long ways off and very wishful thinking but hey, above all things you have to have hope to be a Bills fan.

merriman would be the first person i resign, as long as he is fine after the knee surgery

Actually, while we're thinking wishfully, i'd toss a bunch of cash at McNeill, Move Bell to RT and say goodbye to walker's slow, overpaid ass. Then in 2010 you have McNeil - Levitre - Hangy - Wood - Bell

If Peter King's MMQB column today is to be believed (and I think it is accurate), I think you are wrong on the guys who will be free agents ... here is the link to the page where he talks about it, toward the bottom ... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ.../23/mmqb/1.html

Part of the deal with it being an uncapped year is that players will not be unrestricted at 4 years ... it's will be SIX ... so McNeil, for instance, will not be unrestricted.

Also, apparently teams will get to use a franchise tag AND a transition tag (I think currently they can use only one or the other) ... so between the extra 2 years and the guys who will be tagged, it's won't necessarily be a free agent bonanza, especially for a team like the Bills that doesn't like to get into bidding wars for the few big names.

I am assuming a new CBA will get done. I feel thats a safe assumption as well because the owners know it could ruin the league long term. I also feel that a rookie cap system will be put in place. I am just hoping we could land one of their key players that align with out positions of need. They will have a hard time signing those guys if a new CBA ia agreed upon.