Draft Guys - Who might go #1 overall next year?

stevestojan

I would be more skeptical of Brees if he was just playing modestly good, but the guy has been flat out incredible this year. Highest scoring team in the league with a lousy WR core and a gimpy Tomlinson - that's unbelievable.

Think Atlanta would take Brees/Tomlinson over Vick right now?

I would be more skeptical of Brees if he was just playing modestly good, but the guy has been flat out incredible this year.  Highest scoring team in the league with a lousy WR core and a gimpy Tomlinson - that's unbelievable.

Think Atlanta would take Brees/Tomlinson over Vick right now?

112978[/snapback]

No. Even including tomlinson. Brees has had about 3-4 very good to great games. He is playing fantastic right now. But I think every single one of the GMs in the league would rather have Vick, even though he is playing just as erratic as Brees is playing good. Plus, Atlanta is 6-2 and SD is 6-3. Vick can play terrible, but his starter winning percentage since day one is likely second in the league to Tom Brady.

No. Even including tomlinson. Brees has had about 3-4 very good to great games. He is playing fantastic right now. But I think every single one of the GMs in the league would rather have Vick, even though he is playing just as erratic as Brees is playing good. Plus, Atlanta is 6-2 and SD is 6-3. Vick can play terrible, but his starter winning percentage since day one is likely second in the league to Tom Brady.

113006[/snapback]

I might take Vick too, but when you throw in LTD - the best RB in the league when he's healthy - it's an easy call IMO.

But to each his own - I've already debated this extensively. Shouldn't have brought it up.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

There is absolutely no way they are franchising Brees.

If they are that dumb then they would be stuck with him because nobody is taking on that contract for Drew Brees.

I'm sure Brees would love it though. Thats big time money and he isn't worth that kind of $$$$.

I might take Vick too, but when you throw in LTD - the best RB in the league when he's healthy - it's an easy call IMO.

But to each his own - I've already debated this extensively.  Shouldn't have brought it up.

113012[/snapback]

You may be right. It is a tough call. And LT is a great. great player. I am just thinking if I am given the choice of starting a team with Drew Brees and LT, or Michael Vick and Warrick Dunn, I am taking Vick and Dunn after much deliberation. Vick brings a lot to the table, although I would grant you that LT is a surer bet as a consistent player.

If we're talking just offense players....

QB Kyle Orton.  (Leinhart will be an NFL bust)

WR Mike Williams

RB Carnell Williams and Cedric Benson (tie)

111450[/snapback]

Kyle Orton is ranked behind Charlie Frye of Akron and Dan Orlovsky of U Conn. He's currently projected as a 2nd round pick and is sinking like a stone with his recent play.

Mike Williams and Carnell Williams are ranked #1,#2 overall.

Kyle Orton is ranked behind Charlie Frye of Akron and Dan Orlovsky of U Conn. He's currently projected as a 2nd round pick and is sinking like a stone with his recent play.

Mike Williams and Carnell Williams are ranked #1,#2 overall.

113039[/snapback]

Orton was a heisman favorite coming into the season, and you're right, he has falling off the past few weeks. The way things are shaping up, he might be playing against Matt Leinart for the national championship. I think that's when he's going to really impress people.

They should trade it to us for henry!

In todays NFL, sure it looks like thye need alot, but really anything can happen (look at SD!).

If they go out and get brees for a 2nd round pick, ricky comes back, boston returns to form and they sure up a few other spots around their team,  this team could be good again EVEN WITHOUT a #1 producing.  (not to mention the piloli/weis combo being talked about)

I would not be suprised intodays NFL.

112746[/snapback]

They traded away their 2nd and 3rd rond picks this year ALA AJ Feely and Lamar Gordon

There is no sure fire #1 pick in this year's draft. This leaves the Dolphins with a pick that they can't trade because nobody wants it and if they take a player they will have to pay a ridiculous salary for him.

The Chargers will franchise Brees and offer him around for a #1 pick. But the pulse in San Diego is to apply the franchise tag, let Brees play one more year and then make the choice in 2006 to trade either Brees or Rivers because at that point the salary hit if they did trades Rivers would be much less.

Therefore, forget about Miami getting Drew Brees.

There is no sure fire #1 pick in this year's draft.  This leaves the Dolphins with a pick that they can't trade because nobody wants it and if they take a player they will have to pay a ridiculous salary for him.

The Chargers will franchise Brees and offer him around for a #1 pick.  But the pulse in San Diego is to apply the franchise tag, let Brees play one more year and then make the choice in 2006 to trade either Brees or Rivers because at that point the salary hit if they did trades Rivers would be much less.

Therefore, forget about Miami getting Drew Brees.

114386[/snapback]

I am not sure of the real numbers but I would imagine that paying Brees franchise money, even for one year, because it is the average of the top 5 quarterbacks, and Manning's new contract is now part of it for the first time, that they would be paying their two quarterbacks about 20 million dollars. I don't think that is either smart, nor likely, and maybe not even possible.

Plus, they gave Rivers a 14.25 million bonus, which would just be totally thrown away.

They should trade it to us for henry!

In todays NFL, sure it looks like thye need alot, but really anything can happen (look at SD!).

If they go out and get brees for a 2nd round pick, ricky comes back, boston returns to form and they sure up a few other spots around their team,  this team could be good again EVEN WITHOUT a #1 producing.  (not to mention the piloli/weis combo being talked about)

I would not be suprised intodays NFL.

112746[/snapback]

It doesn't matter who is running, throwing, or catching, if you can't block you can't win! Dolphins will suck for a few years.

I am not sure of the real numbers but I would imagine that paying Brees franchise money, even for one year, because it is the average of the top 5 quarterbacks, and Manning's new contract is now part of it for the first time, that they would be paying their two quarterbacks about 20 million dollars. I don't think that is either smart, nor likely, and maybe not even possible.

Plus, they gave Rivers a 14.25 million bonus, which would just be totally thrown away.

114415[/snapback]

Living is San Diego, the word on the talk shows and in the streets that the Chargers do have the cap room next year because they pulled in their dead money this year. This means they can afford Brees for one more year.

The bigger concern here is that Antonio Gates is a restricted FA and will need to be given a significant upgrade before a team can offer a front-loaded contract with poisen pills the Chargers can't match.

Living is San Diego, the word on the talk shows and in the streets that  the Chargers do have  the cap room next year because they pulled in their dead money this year.  This means they can afford Brees for one more year.

The bigger concern here is that Antonio Gates is a restricted FA and will need to be given a significant upgrade before a team can offer a front-loaded contract with poisen pills the Chargers can't match.

114737[/snapback]

Well if the sportswriters and talk show hosts and fans are getting their information about being able to afford the contracts from AJ Smith, of COURSE they can afford it. :blink:

I fully expect Drew Brees to come back down to earth and look like the kind of quarterback that he is: Okay. He is on a roll. No way do the Chargers franchise him. The rest of the league would give a collective "Cool!" Pay Drew Brees AND Rivers top five QB money.

112956[/snapback]

I wonder if AJ Smith learned anything from the RJ/Magic Midget debacle?

Just looked it up. Tentatively, the amount for a franchise QB this coming season is about 7.8 million, which is what they would have to pay Brees. Rivers signed a 6 year deal for 40.5 million (from the article I read) with a signing bonus of 14+ million. So that is about 6.7 (average per year) for Rivers, although his real cap amount may be closer to 4-5 million depending on how it is back-loaded. They may indeed be able to keep both for one year, although it would probably be stupid.

Granted, a lot can happen in the second half of the season. Brees could tank, or Brees could end up with 36 TDs and 6 INTs if he keeps the pace. It's likely going to be between the two, but I think it will be easier to decide by season's end. They may franchise Brees to see what bites they get, but they would have to clear (or not use for FA's and Antonio Gates) the 7.8 mil on the cap.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Nobody is trading for Brees at 7.8 mil per. If he can get it good for him but San Diego is gonna be stuck with two qbs making major money.

Nobody is trading for Brees at 7.8 mil per. If he can get it good for him but San Diego is gonna be stuck with two qbs making major money.

114870[/snapback]

The team trading for Brees can pay him whatever they please and that he agrees with. The franchise number doesn't transfer over to the trading team. And it very likely would not be that much.