Red Zone Woes

trigger

The reserves did a nice job of getting the ball into the end zone, but the starters are still struggling a bit. Here's some advice which should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer: When the regular season starts, put Owens, Nelson, and Hardy in at the same time. At 6'3, 6'5, and 6'6, would there be a team in the NFL who could match size with the Bills? Nelson's TD last night should give at least some indication that the Bills could dominate inside the 20.

The reserves did a nice job of getting the ball into the end zone, but the starters are still struggling a bit. Here's some advice which should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer: When the regular season starts, put Owens, Nelson, and Hardy in at the same time. At 6'3, 6'5, and 6'6, would there be a team in the NFL who could match size with the Bills? Nelson's TD last night should give at least some indication that the Bills could dominate inside the 20.

Couldn't agree more...Ranted the same in the other thread.....Our Red Zone offense has been one of the worst in the last decade and I do not see much progress made in either of the two pre-season games.

All the height mismatches in the world won't matter if your play call of choice on 3rd and goal from the 14 is to run a draw play - wtf was that?

Actually its not just the size of the boat which is a key to productivity here its the motion of the ocean that counts. TO is most effective from what I have seen (mostly the highlights and a view of the stats since I have not made a habit of seeing Cowboy or Philly games) not so much in jump ball situations but in running slants and positioning his body to get the ball in the RAC. He is great at this but not what I tend to think of as big red zone (or green zone as the marketeers last night seem to want to confusingly dub it) weapon, but more of an open field potential deep strike threat.

The key to the Nelson TD last night was that the Bears DC did not adjust to the Bills lining the rangy Nelson out as a WR and they let the young short CB try to guard him 1 on 1 when not only was he overmatched but did not play the obvious jumpball fade throw well at all. In a real game, I suspect the DC would have either put in a coverage package that anticipated this now obvious mismatch. or called TO when the mismatch became clear from the set-up. Worse comes to worst, the CB should have tackled Nelson and took the half the distance or even the endzone foul penalty rather than set up a situation where he ended up looking lik a shih tzu nipping at the burglurs ankles.

ACL says Hardy likely will need a walker to run routes for a while.

You are right the match-up problems presented are intriguing, but they simply reculate what can be done and still leave the same problem that Turk, Fairchild, the Bills back in the Marv days post Butch Rolle, the team has not called plays that seem very imaginative or well designed in the red zone. The last time the Bills simply invested a lot in size was when we had by far the weightiest OL in the league. This mutant demographic was nice but did not amount to much given the play deficits of this unit and the lack of imaginative implementation by Turk/Fairchild.

I was not completely dissapointed with the red zone offense. The TD by our tight end was great. Add TO and Hardy to the mix and it will get better. The thing that impressed me the most was Trent going 10 for 10 and also mixing up his throws to someone different throughout his couple of series. This offense is really moving the chains nicely even with backup QB's in there. This no huddle offense appears to be working nicely and you can't help thinking it could very well become something special with practice. Standing back and looking at thier overall success has me excited for the season.

On defense. Four interceptions, a couple of sacks(one including a fumble recovery) and generally looking very aggressive. I like what I am seeing.

While it helps to have height in there..I think the QB is vital in getting the ball in the EZ. Trenty boy is gonna have to toughen up mentally in the red zone-and stop with the mammas boy act down there.

All the height mismatches in the world won't matter if your play call of choice on 3rd and goal from the 14 is to run a draw play - wtf was that?

Not a big fan of the call... but considering a blitz was likely, it is not as indefensible as so many want to claim.

Marshawn scored a TD against the Broncos on opening day 2008 on a draw play on third and goal from around the 10.

Not a big fan of the call... but considering a blitz was likely, it is not as indefensible as so many want to claim.

Marshawn scored a TD against the Broncos on opening day 2008 on a draw play on third and goal from around the 10.

Ok, but when you have first and goal at the 10 and don't even take a shot at the end zone you're playing too conservatively to win, especially in the preseason - I hate that about this coaching staff.

Ok, but when you have first and goal at the 10 and don't even take a shot at the end zone you're playing too conservatively to win, especially in the preseason - I hate that about this coaching staff.

Well, I would say passing on 2nd down was aiming at the end zone... that was why Trent did not dump off.

Just trying to add some perspective.....