Wood Holds His Own Against Stroud - Article

Love the quotes from Stroud. Good to hear. You can usually tell early if rookie OL are the real deal.

Looks like Wood is a keeper.

Interior lineman like Wood are typically among the safest picks in the draft. This years class has 3 (Mack, Wood, and Unger) who I think will be around for a long time.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/751797.html

Now that is seriously good news.

Wish I had heard the same about Levitre too, but if Wood is doing so well against such a good player so early, it looks like he is the real thing.

The article said Levitre is getting all the first-team reps and looked good in the running game. I think that is quite positive.

Can someone answer this for me cause I dont know.

If Wood is so strong at G then shouldnt he be playing LG instead of RG? I would think that we would want him to hold down a good majority of the left side so that the LT can have more help. And doesnt the strongest of the DT's usually line up on that side as well? Or maybe we want him on the right side for the power running game.

Can someone help explain this to me.

Thanks

If Wood is so strong at G then shouldnt he be playing LG instead of RG? I would think that we would want him to hold down a good majority of the left side so that the LT can have more help. And doesnt the strongest of the DT's usually line up on that side as well? Or maybe we want him on the right side for the power running game.

Thanks

I think the best pass rushing DT lines up on the right side of center and goes against the LG. Blocking in the run game is all about strength because you gotta be able to push your guy back or move him aside to create a lane. An LG can typically get away with a little less strength as long as he is quick and has good technique.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/751797.html

Now that is seriously good news.

Wish I had heard the same about Levitre too, but if Wood is doing so well against such a good player so early, it looks like he is the real thing.

No man, this is terrible news. It proves that Stroud sucks, and that our DL sucks, and the FO sucks for signing Stroud and neglecting the D-Line and that DJ sucks for allowing the DL to suck and... and.... and....

[/spartacus]

Thanks

woods biggest downfall is he has a hard time dealing with speed and is much more of a bruiser. Watch the senior bowl. He could handle Raji all day, but once a quick LB or a shifty safety came up, he had trouble adjusting and played off his heels. I suspect this is why he is at RG. Levitre's biggest plus is he is quick and agile, but is lacking the strength and brute force that Wood has. Knowing that LBs and Safeties tend to blitz more from the back side is probably the reason Levitre is at LG. You want to run over your STRONGEST guard and that is Wood, while you want your quickest and most agile being able to handle any speed rushers, which is Levitre.

hope that makes sense.

woods biggest downfall is he has a hard time dealing with speed and is much more of a bruiser. Watch the senior bowl. He could handle Raji all day, but once a quick LB or a shifty safety came up, he had trouble adjusting and played off his heels. I suspect this is why he is at RG. Levitre's biggest plus is he is quick and agile, but is lacking the strength and brute force that Wood has. Knowing that LBs and Safeties tend to blitz more from the back side is probably the reason Levitre is at LG. You want to run over your STRONGEST guard and that is Wood, while you want your quickest and most agile being able to handle any speed rushers, which is Levitre.

hope that makes sense.

Thank you RP and Matty. It makes sense to me. I kinda figured that as I was writing the post.

I was just thinking your best OL would be on the QB's backside so I was thinking LW at LT, and Wood at LG to ensure that Trent doesnt get gang raped. But I see the logic and understand the "stronger" more powerful G should be on the right to move the piles.

Thanks

Check this Ross Tucker article out. He explains why right guard is (physically) the hardest position on the interior line.

Basically, it comes down to this - the left guard has help and the right guard doesn't. The right guard is more likely to be one-on-one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ings/index.html

hope that makes sense.

Wood didn't have much success against Raji. Even Mack, who was the only one who had virtually any, only beat him about half the time. Raji was a monster.

Check this Ross Tucker article out. He explains why right guard is (physically) the hardest position on the interior line.

Basically, it comes down to this - the left guard has help and the right guard doesn't. The right guard is more likely to be one-on-one.

Almost all teams slide the line over to the left to help out the LT, who has the toughest job. This means that the LG is in a tighter area.

Only a few teams didn't have to slide their lines over to the left, teams with extremely elite LTs like Chris Samuels and, um, Jason Peters. Since Peters went to LT, the Bills have not slid lines to the left, which makes life easier on all the other o-line guys. This year, they will undoubtedly have to slide to the left. (This is in the article, although he doesn't mention Peters. But Peters played on an island the whole time with the Bills. Interestingly, the Eagles won't do that with him.)

Anyway, the LG vs. RG part of the article is very clear and informative.

Thanks

Thanks awesome article. I always put C after LT as the most important on the line. Tucker puts it last due to the physicality of the position. He does however say; Make no mistake about it: A center that cannot make the right decisions at critical junctures could have a huge impact on the outcome of a game.

That's why I believe a C is second most important. I think if you went by the intelligence need for each lineman the C would be #1.

Thanks awesome article. I always put C after LT as the most important on the line. Tucker puts it last due to the physicality of the position. He does however say; Make no mistake about it: A center that cannot make the right decisions at critical junctures could have a huge impact on the outcome of a game.

That's why I believe a C is second most important. I think if you went by the intelligence need for each lineman the C would be #1.

Shouldn't be a problem for Hangartner. He holds the record for the highest wonderlic for an offensive lineman.

I was so pleased to see the Bills actually address the OL in the draft this year. I would have liked a top tackle, but I really liked what I had seen out of Wood too. This OL I believe is still a top tackle away from being playoff caliber. One year experience for these young guys, and adding a top tackle next season would be great for the Bills long term outlook. After that, its on to the DL...which is 3-4 players away still.