TSO Schedule Released!

Fezmid

I go every year as kind of a family tradition..........I LOVE their first album - I listen to it in August, it's so great..........But, I do find the show a little cheesy. I really don't like Chris that much. I don't like how he tells the crowd when to stand up, when to clap, etc........I may be so used to seeing Springsteen so many times that I'm like wtf - Bruce doesn't have to tell the crowd when to stand up.

I love the first half since it's the first album - I just wish Chris would tone it down, and I wish they would trade in some of the money they pay for all the pyrotechnics and pay a local children's choir to sing the songs that the children's choir sings on the first album.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be there , got mine today. I prefer a Dec show as well but it's still a good time. If you didn't know, Bob Kinkel, the pianist/keyboards (who's an original member and tours with the East coast company) is from Buffalo.

Fez, you are on the hook now, just bought 4 tickets to the Richmond VA show. I have never seen these guys, but you have such a man crush on them figured worth the risk... taking the wife and kids(age 10 and 8).

Only thing that sucks is it is in early November, not quite chritsmas time...but that what you get for small town like Richmond

Tickets are generally in the $45-55 range.

And part of the proceeeds goes to a local charity

such as a food bank in the area they are playing.

Well worth it once you see the show.

The 'convenience fee' is what really sux.

TSO is here in WV in early November.

Tickets are generally in the $45-55 range.

And part of the proceeeds goes to a local charity

such as a food bank in the area they are playing.

Well worth it once you see the show.

The 'convenience fee' is what really sux.

TSO is here in WV in early November.

Got mine, floor row 3 .... SWEET!!!!

• 2 months later...

Just got back from the Minneapolis show -- it was AWESOME!

We had floor seats, 4th row, center and right on the aisle - couldn't have asked for anything better!!!

This was the first year they've been at Target Center and while I still prefer the Xcel Energy Center, this wasn't too bad either (they've spent millions upgrading the acoustics and it shows!).

Angus and Al had great chemistry, and there was a lot more "funny" bits put into the first half of the show this time. They had a little "guitar battle" that was fun, and they even lowered the narrator's mic in the middle of the show and that got him into the act as well -- throwing his hands up, "yelling" at Al, etc. It was pretty funny.

Only sad part was that Anna Phoebe is apparently doing the east tour this year... But the new girl held her own and did a great job - she was REALLY getting into it! I missed her name, but looking at the TSO site, it might've been Caitlin Moe.

They did a great job getting the crowd involved too -- ran into the crowd a couple of times and a couple of times some of the performers when in the back of the auditorium on a much smaller stage, so that the people in the back could have a great view for a bit too.

They also donated $7,200+ to a local charity. That's a nice touch.

Overall, it was a great night - HIGHLY recommended! Did anyone here go to the Rochester show last night??

EDIT: Oh, after the concert we went out to eat at this restaurant that one of my wife's coworkers said, "Has really good wings, you should try them." Well, I was very skeptical, and asked the waitress if they were baked or fried. She looked surprised by the question and said they were fried. So I ordered them.... They were made PERFECTLY! Crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, good sauce flavor but not swimming in it (could've been spicier, but hey). The only two negatives were that they give you the whole wing - including tips, and I'm pretty sure the "bleu cheese" was just salad dressing... But other than that, they were perfect! I think I may have finally found a good wing place in Minnesota... Except it's only on the appetizer menu! Weird...

Sounds like you had a great time Fezmid.

Our tickets we back farther than I thought and we were

right next to the back end 'floating' stage.

I got some great up close pics.. :thumbsup:

I was going to bring my crappy point-and-shoot camera, but wasn't sure if Target Center would let me bring it in -- when we went to see Nickelback, they searched pockets... In hindsight, I should've brought it - would've had AMAZING shots, even with my crappy camera. :thumbsup:

When we saw TSO in previous years, there was a "No Camera" disclaimer

printed on the tickets. Not so this year. So I brought my

digital camera and fired away. There was a sign on the

front door, saying "No Professional Photography Allowed"

I am glad I am an amateur.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw them for the first time in Raleigh at RBC center last night.

Dude, that was a METAL show dressed up as Christmas music. THe wife and I were chuckling to ourselves about how many old ladies were there listening to shred metal. It was great!

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the 8pm TSO concert last night for the fourth year in a row, and still everytime i go it is the most entertaining thing. If you have not gone to see this show I highly reccomend it is something you do. It is unlike anything you will ever see.

Though yesterday i did get a bit of extra show, the lead violinist played her violin while using my leg as a foot rest. :rolleyes:

Have any of you ever gone, if so what did you think?

I went to the 8pm TSO concert last night for the fourth year in a row, and still everytime i go it is the most entertaining thing. If you have not gone to see this show I highly reccomend it is something you do. It is unlike anything you will ever see.

Though yesterday i did get a bit of extra show, the lead violinist played her violin while using my leg as a foot rest. :censored:

Have any of you ever gone, if so what did you think?

It was my 4th year in a row, too, and I thought the show was better than ever. Seemed to me that the video screens were really upgraded, and the light show was even better. I actually love the first half best, because I love that first album of theirs and that is what they play in the first half.

There are two things I'd like different, that I know that won't change. One is if they could get children's choirs in every city, like they do with the 8 piece string section. If they could play Christmas Canon with them singing, and a few songs on the 1st album (the third song, A Star to Follow, is heavenly). They already seem to be paying 30 people onstage. I would think a children's choir would love to do it, for not much money.

The 2nd thing is their leader, Chris, bugs the crap out of me. I don't like being told when to stand up and when to applaud. His constant cupping of his hands to his ears and occasionally telling to stand up is just so cheesy. The audience should react to songs how they naturally would, not by artifically making it a standing ovation type song.

One thing that they hopefully will change is that for the last two years they ruined probably their most beautiful song - The Old City Bar. The first two years, they played it straight up and it's so refreshing after all the bombastic music to just have Alex on an acoustic guitar and a guy in a winter code singing this. But, the last two years, the guy comes out with a bottle and sings like he's drunk, slurring and screaming, and turns a great song into garbage.

With that said, I'm sure I'll be back for year five next year.

Saw it Tuesday in Hamilton, one of my x-mas presents from my girlfriend.

it was something that I always wanted to go see from just the commercials, and they always rave about it on the local radio station. They always bill it as a "holiday metal show you can take your grandma to" on the radio. I don't know, maybe its just mine, but I can't picture and 80+ year old polish woman joining me for that concert, lol

It was incredible though, found out afterwards that a bunch of people I know went too. I just bought "Night Castle", "The Lost Christmas Eve" and "Christmas Eve and other stories" on Wednesday

Definitly a show I would recomend to anyone and can see how its a yearly tradition for people

Yeah, I saw it for the first time the day after Christmas here in San Antonio, and it was FANTASTIC! I wish the whole show was the last hour.

I'm guessing that will be what the spring show will be like... Assuming it actually goes through this year.

Though yesterday i did get a bit of extra show, the lead violinist played her violin while using my leg as a foot rest. :(

Which show did you see, east or west?

It's important to know if it was Anna Phoebe herself, or the other one (who was also entertaining, but I still think I prefered Phoebe).

http://www.annaphoebe.com/

They always bill it as a "holiday metal show you can take your grandma to" on the radio. I don't know, maybe its just mine, but I can't picture and 80+ year old polish woman joining me for that concert, lol

My wife's 82-year-old German grandmother loved the show when we took her a few years ago -- "except for the quiet parts" (her words! :thumbsup: ).

The guy running TSO West said its a sure thing this year!

They've been saying that for years... It's a running joke. :bag:

But this time they actually have a new album, so.... (of course they had Beethoven's Last Night released a few years ago, and still didn't tour despite them saying they would.... I'll believe it when I have tickets :worthy: ).

For those who like TSO -- you should check out Savatage (especially Streets, Dead Winter Dead, Wake of Magellan, and Of Poets and Madmen). Savatage became TSO, and some of the songs are right from the Savatage albums.