In the dog days of summer...

As we slip into the unbearably hot days that are the home-stretch of summer, my mind is free to wonder and wander.

I ask you this, board, out of curiosity and boredom:

What do the Buffalo Bills mean to you?

To me, the Bills are like a state of mind. Nestled into upstate New York, the city itself is like a microcosm of the American dream. The work ethic, the struggle, the sense of community and pride in what we have. It's about family, and tradition, and eternal hope. The internet and proliferation of information have only served to up my interest and appreciation. And for much of my expertise, I have this very board to thank.

It seems each Fall is more anticipated than the last, and, in a way, I'm appreciative of the slow drone of another summer -- because I know the payoff will be great.

Regardless of wins or losses (although more wins would be greatly appreciated) I know that Sundays will be filled with great friends, hot food and cold beer. The hope and buzz of a new season will be palpable, the cool, fall air electric. And one day, when we do win that god-damned silver trophy, I will march the streets of Buffalo with my fellow Bill-brethren in a drunken celebratory haze, the likes of which have never been seen. It will be generational fulfillment and serve to ease the pain of an entire geographical area. That will be a great day.

Until that day, keep your ear to the grindstone.

Now, what do the Bills mean to you?

As of this year, another big question mark as to the ownership, whether they will stay in Buffalo (or at least the area) and whether perennial 7-9 Dick Jauron is helping, hurting or just irrelevant.

Whether Snert actually opens up the offense or simply continues to make statements to that effect.

Whether Fewell shows any ability to adjust when his defense is getting roasted.

Whether TE can play an entire season as well as he did the first 4 games last year.

Whether the OL stands up or the Bills have assembled yet another bunch of check cashing turnstiles.

Longing for the "Relentless" Bills of Kelly and Company.

Appreciating and missing the leadership, coaching ability and motivation of Levy.

Hoping somebody lights the goddam fuse under the team this year.

As we slip into the unbearably hot days that are the home-stretch of summer, my mind is free to wonder and wander.

I ask you this, board, out of curiosity and boredom:

What do the Buffalo Bills mean to you?

To me, the Bills are like a state of mind. Nestled into upstate New York, the city itself is like a microcosm of the American dream. The work ethic, the struggle, the sense of community and pride in what we have. It's about family, and tradition, and eternal hope. The internet and proliferation of information have only served to up my interest and appreciation. And for much of my expertise, I have this very board to thank.

It seems each Fall is more anticipated than the last, and, in a way, I'm appreciative of the slow drone of another summer -- because I know the payoff will be great.

Regardless of wins or losses (although more wins would be greatly appreciated) I know that Sundays will be filled with great friends, hot food and cold beer. The hope and buzz of a new season will be palpable, the cool, fall air electric. And one day, when we do win that god-damned silver trophy, I will march the streets of Buffalo with my fellow Bill-brethren in a drunken celebratory haze, the likes of which have never been seen. It will be generational fulfillment and serve to ease the pain of an entire geographical area. That will be a great day.

Until that day, keep your ear to the grindstone.

Now, what do the Bills mean to you?

Growing up in Buffalo, and having the opportunity to go to many Bills games, I have become a life long Bills fan. I've gone through all the phases, season ticket holder never missing a game, road warrier going to many Bills' road games, and even attending one SB game the Bills played in.

Now that I'm older, and have had those "Sundays filled with great friends, hot food and cold beer" at Rich Stadium/The Ralph, I don't go to games anymore, but still must watch every game on TV. The Bills are my team, of the greatest sport in the world, in my humble opinion. That's what they mean to me. Although I don't share all of that Bills being a part of the fabric of the "microcosm of the American Dream" that is Buffalo - stuff, I will most likely be right next to you in a drunken celebratory haze, the likes of which have never been seen, if the BUFFALO Bills (not the Toronto, Los Angeles or San Antonio Bills), ever win a Lombardi.

Given Ralphs age and the state of the economy in Buffalo, I sure hope the Bills get that good again - FAST.

In a failed effort to win the writing job with Bleacher Report I wrote this article as part of my series on the Bills. Take a look.

Buffalo Bills: Why My Veins Run Red, White, and Blue

That helps to capture "it" a bit Mike. Nice write up. The lovable loser thing does play into our relationship with the team and we all hope for sunnier days ahead.

As I've said on many occasions, when I am buried, there will be Buffalo Bills mementos in the box with me.

I try to enjoy the short summer season one day at a time. Hell, it is still July.

Summer in WNY needs to be savored (especially this year when it only shows up about once a week).

When September gets here, for me the Bills mean it is the OFFICIAL start of autumn (forget that equinox thing).