We Have to Spend Money to Keep From Going Bankrupt’

With all this "fixing" of our health care system, why isn't anyone talking about tort reform? Everyone knows the cost of health care is directly proportion to the medical insurance doctors have to pay for liability insurance. I know the lawyers give huge amounts of money to the dems and they are protecting them, but why isn't the GOP hammering this issue?

If we had a smart tort reform bill that limits lawsuits’ and rewards and penalizes fraudulent cases being brought against doctors, the system would save billions not only in medical expenses but in court time also.

We lack such common sense these days I just can't beleive it.

Because the trial lawyers bar are big Democratic donors.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the trial lawyers bar are big Democratic donors.

The lawyers are an easy target but I wonder if the real issue is that Dems are afraid to limit tort awards because much of their base may rise up in revolt.

I would oppose tort reform--the problem is with juries, not the law. I also despise mandatory sentencing for the same reason. Both take away the ability to punish (or not) based on the magnitude of the infraction.

The lawyers are an easy target but I wonder if the real issue is that Dems are afraid to limit tort awards because much of their base may rise up in revolt.

I would oppose tort reform--the problem is with juries, not the law. I also despise mandatory sentencing for the same reason. Both take away the ability to punish (or not) based on the magnitude of the infraction.

Removing the "lottery" aspect of it by redirecting punative damages from the plaintiff to a fund designed to remedy whatever problem was inflicted through R&D would solve much of the problem.

Removing the "lottery" aspect of it by redirecting punative damages from the plaintiff to a fund designed to remedy whatever problem was inflicted through R&D would solve much of the problem.

I am not quite following this. Who creates this "fund?"