OT - what are those things players wear

Seems to be mostly receivers, db's and rb's. A thin black band with a bulge, that looks like a garter or a c**k ring.

Anyone know what the purpose is?

107756[/snapback]

If you're describing what I think you are, it's to prevent burns from the turf.

If I am correct, I think they apply pressure to the tendon in the elbow area which provides added support. i used to have one for my left knee, same concept. It is an elastic band with a rubber piece to apply pressure to the knee tendon. You see a lot of athletes where them, just provides added support to the joint/tendon, and relieves any tendonitis. Quite cheap and effective actually

If I am correct, I think they apply pressure to the tendon in the elbow area which provides added support.  i used to have one for my left knee, same concept.  It is an elastic band with a rubber piece to apply pressure to the knee tendon.  You see a lot of athletes where them, just provides added support to the joint/tendon, and relieves any tendonitis.  Quite cheap and effective actually

107813[/snapback]

So an exterior jock strap is official NFL equipment. :D

They stop the blood from flowing from their biceps giving the apprearance that they have huge arms when they're on television :lol:

107802[/snapback]

Maybe it's behavior modification. In the Bull fight ring, the bulls have a wet leather strap tied above their nuts, and it tightens up as it dries and makes the bull have an urge to better compete. :D

I'd guess it's what Stussy said. It would seem that they'd be more concerned w/ rug burns, but I'd think they'd be more prone to have them below the elbow. Also, those bands are pretty thin (i.e. don't cover much skin area). I use one for my knee as I play a lot of Volleyball. FWIW though, I wouldn't think receivers would be putting much strain on their elbows in that fashion; DBs, LBs, linemen & QBs (especially) I could believe. So maybe they are just to 'look cool'.