Health Care Math

Here's a simple proposition to drive home a key issue in the Health Care Reform Debate.

The politico's want to insure the 50 million without insurance. Instead of muddying things up by tying it to broader reforms, let's simplify and separate the issues and see how the dollars add up. If insurance costs $5,000 a year, we need $250 billion a year to fill the gap. All the wind coming out of Washington is simply a deliberative smokescreen masking the fact that that money has to come out of somebodies pocket.

So let's have the 250 million who do have insurance pay for those who don't. If each insured person forks over $1,000 every year, we can provide a $5,000/yr plan for the rest.

If your family has insurance then your actual tax contribution would be $1,000 times the number of people in your household, but you get the idea... So let's get this enacted and see what people think before starting on the riskier and irreversable structural changes.

Any takers?

I don't know what the answer is to the situation but I know that I've had government health care for most of my adult life and to say it's expensive yet substandard is extremely kind. There have been times that my family and I have received excellent care but that has not been the norm.

Here's a simple proposition to drive home a key issue in the Health Care Reform Debate.

The politico's want to insure the 50 million without insurance. Instead of muddying things up by tying it to broader reforms, let's simplify and separate the issues and see how the dollars add up. If insurance costs $5,000 a year, we need $250 billion a year to fill the gap. All the wind coming out of Washington is simply a deliberative smokescreen masking the fact that that money has to come out of somebodies pocket.

So let's have the 250 million who do have insurance pay for those who don't. If each insured person forks over $1,000 every year, we can provide a $5,000/yr plan for the rest.

If your family has insurance then your actual tax contribution would be $1,000 times the number of people in your household, but you get the idea... So let's get this enacted and see what people think before starting on the riskier and irreversable structural changes.

Any takers?

Wow, that's enlightening. Maybe we should knock 50 million off of the government health plans and then we could give the 200 million who have still health insurance a $1000 for each member of their family. That would be so cool. If we knock everyone who is insured by a public plan (seniors, military, government workers, teachers, etc), we could probably give $10,000 or even $20,000 each to the people on private plans.

If no one ever got sick any more and no one needed health care, think of how much we could give to the few people who still had health insurance. Probably something like a gazillion dollars. Awesome.

I don't know what the answer is to the situation but I know that I've had government health care for most of my adult life and to say it's expensive yet substandard is extremely kind. There have been times that my family and I have received excellent care but that has not been the norm.

I don't know what the answer is either, but I think this article does a fair job of at least identifying some of the problems.

No one "deserves" free health care. If you treat your body like sh--, you don't "deserve" anything. Unfortunately Obama thinks that the change should come from without, and not within, and that ultimately doctors, who provide the services, should be the ones paying for it in the form of lower reimbursements and taxes.