Federal Web sites knocked out by cyber attack

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090708/ap_on_...us_cyber_attack

The Treasury Department, Secret Service, Federal Trade Commission and Transportation Department Web sites were all down at varying points over the holiday weekend and into this week, according to officials inside and outside the government. Some of the sites were still experiencing problems Tuesday evening. Cyber attacks on South Korea government and private sites also may be linked, officials there said.

Damn North Koreans!

No seriously, WTF? That is some serious websites. I read we were unprepared for this sort of thing. I understand that there is not necessarily a loss of data. No clue of how much of the system was effected. Still sorta :doh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090708/ap_on_...us_cyber_attack

Damn North Koreans!

No seriously, WTF? That is some serious websites. I read we were unprepared for this sort of thing. I understand that there is not necessarily a loss of data. No clue of how much of the system was effected. Still sorta :doh:

This was a denial of service attack. Not very sophisticated, pretty difficult to combat, very common. Basically you use a large network of pre-infected zombie computers to continually slam the web site with requests, sapping all of the web server's resources. This makes it impossible for the web server to serve pages to any requesters, including those that are legit. No data is compromised and no infection is passed on to the web server.

This was a denial of service attack. Not very sophisticated, pretty difficult to combat, very common. Basically you use a large network of pre-infected zombie computers to continually slam the web site with requests, sapping all of the web server's resources. This makes it impossible for the web server to serve pages to any requesters, including those that are legit. No data is compromised and no infection is passed on to the web server.

I (vaguely) understand a dos attack (we had several on our systems). Nice summation btw from what I know. I realize it does not compromise data. However, doesn't it downgrade the performance of the overall network? I guess that is my main question, that and it is sorta embarrassing.

Edit-North Koreans a suspect?

"We launch missiles and take down your websites! North Korea will destroy the US!" (not a real quote)

Seems they may have had something to do with it after all.

I (vaguely) understand a dos attack (we had several on our systems). Nice summation btw from what I know. I realize it does not compromise data. However, doesn't it downgrade the performance of the overall network? I guess that is my main question, that and it is sorta embarrassing.

Edit-North Koreans a suspect?

"We launch missiles and take down your websites! North Korea will destroy the US!" (not a real quote)

Seems they may have had something to do with it after all.

This reminds me of China in the game C&C Generals.

Refresh me again on this Los Gatos thing? Does it have to do with Canadian deportees and a plane crash?

i think it has to do with Trent banging some chick who dates some dude who eats crayonz in his home town