Which rookies will start??

Guest dog14787

I'm thinking Wood or Levitre will start on offense and I'm sure DJ will be chomping at the bit to get "Jairus the bird man Byrd" onto the field on defense and for good reason, Byrd's ball hawking skills along with our top notch group of DB's will make Buffalo's D really dangerous to throw against.

If the Rookies pan out well, Buffalo in my opinion has a very good football team.

I'm thinking Wood or Levitre on offense and I'm sure DJ will be chomping at the bit to get "Jairus the bird man Byrd" onto the field on defense and for good reason, Byrd's ball hawking skills along with our top notch group of DB's will make Buffalo's D really dangerous to throw against.

If the Rookies pan out well, Buffalo in my opinion has a very good football team.

Maybin HAS TO pan out. Critical.If not we again have the worst DEs in the game.

Guest dog14787
Maybin HAS TO pan out. Critical.If not we again have the worst DEs in the game.

Aaron Schobel is one of the best DE in the league in my opinion, but it is important for Maybin to pan out because he can turn a good pass rush into to a great pass rush .

Wow, that's kind of big news huh? Donte Whitner quoted as saying he expects to be the BACKUP free safety? Oh my. This is not good.

Don't know where you got that quote, but suffice to say that if Byrd starts at FS then Whitner goes back to starting at SS.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't know where you got that quote, but suffice to say that if Byrd starts at FS then Whitner goes back to starting at SS.

GO BILLS!!!

From the article at Buffalobills.com entitled "which rookies will start":

Byrd played free safety in high school so the position is not foreign to him. And if his playmaking instincts reveal themselves in the camp setting and the preseason even Donte Whitner is fairly confident he’ll be relinquishing the starting free safety spot sooner rather than later.

“I will get the opportunity to play free safety,” said Whitner. “Actually I probably won’t even stay at free safety because they drafted Jairus Byrd. They want him to play some free safety. Coach Fewell likes me at both, but they like him at free so we’ll see.”

Wow, that's kind of big news huh? Donte Whitner quoted as saying he expects to be the BACKUP free safety? Oh my. This is not good.

Why can't Whitner be the starting SS and back up FS? If whoever starts gets hurt, Whitner moves to FS and Scott plays SS. Not a big deal.

From the article at Buffalobills.com entitled "which rookies will start":

Byrd played free safety in high school so the position is not foreign to him. And if his playmaking instincts reveal themselves in the camp setting and the preseason even Donte Whitner is fairly confident he’ll be relinquishing the starting free safety spot sooner rather than later.

“I will get the opportunity to play free safety,” said Whitner. “Actually I probably won’t even stay at free safety because they drafted Jairus Byrd. They want him to play some free safety. Coach Fewell likes me at both, but they like him at free so we’ll see.”

nowhere in that article does whitner say "i plan on being a backup" anything.

if byrd starts at Free Saftey, then whitner will start at strong saftey. whitner is not going to be a backup unless scott, simpson, or someone else on the team can beat out whitner. that probably is not going to happen

Aaron Schobel is one of the best DE in the league in my opinion, but it is important for Maybin to pan out because he can turn a good pass rush into to a great pass rush .

When exactly did the Bills pass rush become good? Schoebel is coming off the foot unjury that kept him off the field just about all of last season, and he isn't getting any younger either. I'm just hoping Maybin surprises everyone with a great rookie season and puts up 7 or 8 sacks, and that helps lead the Bills pass rush to becoming good again, and Schoebel needs to get double digit sacks as well.

When exactly did the Bills pass rush become good? Schoebel is coming off the foot unjury that kept him off the field just about all of last season, and he isn't getting any younger either. I'm just hoping Maybin surprises everyone with a great rookie season and puts up 7 or 8 sacks, and that helps lead the Bills pass rush to becoming good again, and Schoebel needs to get double digit sacks as well.

Has anyone heard if Aaron is ready for this season?

The first question is to the asker as do you mean start immediately or do you mean start at some point this year. To the extent you mean start immediately unfortunately to whatever the extent the answer is yes for anyone it simply points to the Bills likely being in big trouble.

This question simply underscores the usual factual occurrence that even in outstanding years for draft talent only a hair over 50% of 1st round choices are #1 at their position on the team's depth chart in the SECOND season for drafted players.

There tends to be a large bias in who starts among 1st rounders to the top 10 (makes sense as not only are these quality players but the top 10 picks are usually unsuccessful teams with plenty of clear openings).

If the Bills are starting rookies immediately it generally is a sign of how bad things are. My specific sense is:

Maybin- no because with the rotation system the Bills will use on DL this question should not matter anyway. Maybin's extraordinary skill set that made him a high pick is actually as a third down or second down and long pass rusher so doubtful he will be relied upon heavily for 1st down.

Wood- likely 1st year and probably immediate starter due to his quality that got him taken in 1st round and the FO self-immolating on the OL with the loss of Dockery/ Peters and Fowler and the likely position moves of Butler and Walker. Likely starter at LG as the Bills want to strengthen interior push and Hamgartner presents as a smart guy (47 our of 5o Wonderlic and started a majority of games last year but at a variety of positions giving him a knowledge base to call signals for all.

Byrd- likely eventual starter at FS but has little playing experience there since he was an SS there ib college. Still, the two safety roles are not disimilar in the Bills scheme, and Whitner seems clearly able to play both slots so he likely will start at SS.. As soon of a former Pro Bowlers son is ready he is expected to start this year. However, though looked upon with disdain for his production since his surprising rookie year Simpson may get bumped but will fight to stay a starter. Byrd has a few folks excited by his productivity in college (he got something like 7 INTs) but the question remains if he was that good why was he still there late in the first day when the Bills got him. If he starts it may well be because we are so inadequate at FS rather than him being a world-beater at FS.

LeVitre- sounds like a good player who slipped out of the 1st round (where if he had been taken it is a possibility that he could be expected to start at some point this year) to the 2nd round where the concept of him even starting this year would seem to be wishful thinking at best. Yet, it looks like he slipped not due to some deficit in his play but because he is demographically too short to play tackle. The Bills hope to address this problem by putting him in at G. Will he start at RG this year? Yep, probably though because we have been so bad at OL development and management. This does not bode well for us developing and managing this game youngster into being a starter for us at RG.

Nelson- Personally I think it is silly for us to have him start immediately (and likely at any point as he learns this difficult position in his rookie year). The word on him from what I hear though is that we actually are so lame at TE that my sense is that our offense would be most productive if our base O has 3 WRs and minimizes TE use in 09.. We will obviously need some of the capabilities a TE brings from time to time. but having an H-Back who is a hybrid FB (another position we suck at) and TE is a more likely bet for us than to count on Nelson and the needed back-ups if we are going to use the TE a lot to master this position.

Nelson sounds like a great guy who can become a fan favorite, but a good Pro TE takes a year or two to master the position and Nelson easily strikes me as a yeat away from being someone to rely on. Even if lightening strikes and he is great the team needs a back-up capable of both blocking like an OL player and catching passes like a WR and I do not think we have that back-up. If Nelson starts and plays a lot pretty much write the season off.

Harris- (Nic) Has ST written all over him. Again if this is the best we can do for a starter fuggetaboutit for 09.

Harris- (Cary) ST guy

Lankster - ST guy

Saying someone is an ST guy is not an insult in my book and I am glad to have 'em. However, the more rookies start for us the worse of a sign it is. The fact that we might well see 2 rookie starters is mostly testimony to how badly botched the OL situation is.