What team will come out of nowhere next year?

Interesting NFC call there Mark. I respect your knowledge of the game very much and know that you live in the Bay Area so you stay on top of the Niners situation.

I like the way Singletary picked up the pieces after the Nolan debacle. He is just what that team needed. But I have some doubts about the Niners...I could see a scenario where Singletary would be more effective last year than this year.

The team will now have to deal with his hard core demanding style on a daily basis. It won't be new, novel or refreshing. It might even get old.

There won't be any sneaking up on opponents as there was after he took over last year.

Also, it was interesting that they let Mike Martz go seeing as their offense did put up nice numbers. I know new OC Jimmy Raye is somewhat maligned and his resume is not sterling so I could see where their offense might take a step backwards.

I could be very wrong about this but I don't share the same optimism for the Niners that you do.

The biggest obstacle the Niners face is: Who will be the QB? You can be sure that the team is hoping that Alex Smith can finally get the job done. Shaun Hill will always be a back-up, and is only good for the short-term. This is the glaring problem that the Niners have to overcome. If Smith can get the job done, by doing a decent job, I think that will be enough for the Niners to surprise the NFL.

The NFC West is weak. The Rams are still rebuilding, and while the Seahawks got Houshmandzedeh, I feel they are in a transitional state. Which leaves the Cardinals as the strong team in the divison.

The Niners have a good mix of veterans and youth on the team with remarkable talent. Just imagine how strong the duo of WR's Michael Crabtree & Josh Morgan will be in the future. WR Issac Bruce is still playing at a good level, Frank Gore is still a dangerours RB, LT Joe Staley signed a long term contract recently, the defense is solid with Justin Smith & Aubrayo Franklin on the line, Patrick Willis had a slight sophomore slump but is going to be fixture at MLB for a long time, Takeo Spikes is still playing at a good level, then there are LB's Parys Haralson & Ahmad Brooks who very few people know about, and in the secondary there's Nate Clements, Walt Harris, Michael Lewis & Mark Roman.

You might be right that Singletary's hard core approach could get old, but if he produces wins, nobody will care.

You might be right that Singletary's hard core approach could get old, but if he produces wins, nobody will care.

They were saying the same thing about Tom Coughlin a couple of years back.

I don't buy into the Texans as being a "surprise" team. People have been talking about them for the past three seasons, ever since they got Schaub. Their defense has been decent enough, but their star players can't seem to stay healthy. If they make the playoffs this year it's because there are no injuries to key players such as Schaub, Ryans, Slaton, Johnson, Williams, and their starting CB's.

I say Oakland turns it around. McFadden, Russell, Fargas, Walker, Miller, Bush, DHB, and the rest of those guys will put up some lofty enough #'s on offense to go along with a typically stout defense. They will push San Diego for the division crown in the AFC West.

Agree on both accounts.

Cincy's D actually wasn't terrible last year so if Palmer is healthy that's not a bad nomination (I don't think Coles is a huge downgrade from Housh). Neither is GB who by most metrics was one of the unluckiest teams in football last year (they destroyed some good teams and lost some tough games they should've won including one @Tennessee).

He eased up (a little) the year the Giants went to the Super Bowl.

He eased up quite a bit when the Giants won the Super Bowl (according to his players and the media) . He effectively used the "Us against the world mentality" to motivate the Giants. While he was still a hard ass it wasn't any where near what he was when he got to the Giants.