Losman headed to the UFL?

Lori

"The UFL will play in the fall, during traditional football season, to establish the league as a viable entity and will offer real, 11-on-11, outdoor professional football in NFL quality stadiums/venues. The UFL will play its regular season games on Thursday and Friday evenings in the fall, with the first regular season game kicking off in October and the Championship Game scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend"

IMO, trying to go head to head with the NFL and college football is a huge mistake. Why not play games in the Spring when there is no competition? I know they're probably anticipating having some crossover viewership from people already in the football mode, but most people who have an NFL team and a college team will not have time to add on a UFL team.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a guy I really like, mostly, as a human being it's sad to see this happen. I'm guessing his pouting and dismal display of playing when given the chance are the reasons for the disinterest by NFL teams. I hope he does find an outlet that will help him return to the NFL one day and be a backup or steady starter.

It's an even sadder commentary on the Bills scouting, drafting abilities. They went out of their way to get him and this is how he ends up?

You must be joking...how can a new league be better for Losman than the CFL??

Ask Doug Flutie, Marv Levy and Warren Moon what they think of the CFL...

I think he could go to Canada and re-invent himself. He is a mobile QB.....or thats what we thought he was when we drafted him.

Plus, with the the longer and wider field some of his throws will actually still be in play.

Seriously, the best thing for Losman might be Arena football. It would force him to make up his mind quicker and get rid of the ball.

Except that the AFL canceled its 2009 season ...

I've been saying the same thing all offseason. Even back in the day when some folks round these parts were wondering which NFL team would sign JP to compete for the starting job

No no no. He's just waiting until after the draft before he signs with a team. Right?

There will be no 2nd UFL season.

"The UFL will play in the fall, during traditional football season, to establish the league as a viable entity and will offer real, 11-on-11, outdoor professional football in NFL quality stadiums/venues. The UFL will play its regular season games on Thursday and Friday evenings in the fall, with the first regular season game kicking off in October and the Championship Game scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend"

IMO, trying to go head to head with the NFL and college football is a huge mistake. Why not play games in the Spring when there is no competition? I know they're probably anticipating having some crossover viewership from people already in the football mode, but most people who have an NFL team and a college team will not have time to add on a UFL team.

The UFL will be to the NFL as Minor leagues are to Baseball & Hockey. Young guys can go there & develop & vets can go there for rehab. All of the players in the UFL will be in Football Shape during the NFL Season & will be eligible to be signed to NFL Teams during the Football Season. This is the reason the games will be played in the fall, & also the reason for so few games.

It is both amazing and sad that Losman is not even getting a whiff at a job in the NFL. Perhaps he and his agent are creating the environment for this to happen by foolishly believing he needs to go somewhere that he has a chance to start. However, the lack of activity certainly does suffest that while he has legs and a cannon his inability to read defenses and his lack of accuracy may just keep him from working this fall.

I think JP would rather sit out the season than to go to a BAD situation. Byron Leftwich made a HUGE mistake signing with Tampa before the Draft. He could have stayed at Pitt as Ben's Back up, but he wanted a chance to start. Now he will have to compete with Luke McCown who has shown flashes he could be good & the Buc's #1 pick to start. His odds don't look good. If he fails to win the Starters job, he will be stuck on the bench of a rebuilding team rather than a team that just won the Super Bowl. I think JP would be better off in the UFL where he can develop & be seen by NFL Scouts than on some teams bench.

The UFL will be to the NFL as Minor leagues are to Baseball & Hockey. Young guys can go there & develop & vets can go there for rehab. All of the players in the UFL will be in Football Shape during the NFL Season & will be eligible to be signed to NFL Teams during the Football Season. This is the reason the games will be played in the fall, & also the reason for so few games.

Are they really trying to set themselves up in this way? Their website seems to indicate that they want to compete as an independent entity without the affiliation (or more importantly) the support of the NFL. The other minor league systems you cited are kept viable by their affiliation with the parent organizations. I'm not sure how eager an NFL team will be to let a player under contract play (and risk getting hurt) for a UFL team. I do see your point about the league ending early so that players can then move to the NFL while the season is still in full swing, which would give players incentive to participate in the league over others, but I'm not sure about the rest of it.

I'm rather new to the whole UFL thing, so I could be wrong here and would prefer your answer to be correct as it would make for a more interesting system. Do you have a link to the info?

Are they really trying to set themselves up in this way? Their website seems to indicate that they want to compete as an independent entity without the affiliation (or more importantly) the support of the NFL. The other minor league systems you cited are kept viable by their affiliation with the parent organizations. I'm not sure how eager an NFL team will be to let a player under contract play (and risk getting hurt) for a UFL team. I do see your point about the league ending early so that players can then move to the NFL while the season is still in full swing, which would give players incentive to participate in the league over others, but I'm not sure about the rest of it.

I'm rather new to the whole UFL thing, so I could be wrong here and would prefer your answer to be correct as it would make for a more interesting system. Do you have a link to the info?

Dennis Green was talking about it on NFL Network about a month ago. The plan is as I said, the UFL will be used to develop players & keep them in Football shape. They will not compete with the NFL. I don't think any of the players in the UFL will be under contract to an NFL team, but they will all be eligable to sign with any team in the NFL that needs a player during the season due to injury or poor play of players on that team.

It's an even sadder commentary on the Bills scouting, drafting abilities. They went out of their way to get him and this is how he ends up?

The biggest problem with Losman, and a lot of the TD era, is that he was the backup plan. We wanted Joey Harrington, then we got Mike Williams. We wanted Big Ben, we got Losman. Losman wasn't their main target and just fell into their laps. You don't draft QBs in the 1st round if you aren't completely in love with them. And I'm sure a lot of the front office and coaches were very mixed on JP.

As for the UFL, if he decides to go, good for him. I really do like the guy. I just hate the excuses his fanclub can still come up for him. He failed because he wasn't good enough. That said, I would really respect the guy for taking his medicine and coming back the hard way. A lot of good QBs failed in their first stop. Now, I really don't ever see JP being a starter in the NFL again but who knows. Hopefully, things work out for both parties.

From Clark Judge's blog: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/15580028

Hearing from a different source that we might be able to replace "should" go to Vegas with "will." Guess we'll see.

I think the UFL might be a good fit for Losman. He has all the money he'll ever need; and from a self-image perspective, he's better off being a successful UFL quarterback than an unsuccessful NFL quarterback. Indeed, the latter option may now be closed to him, even in a backup capacity. But if he proves to be a valuable part of some UFL team, and is accepted by his new teammates, he'll probably end up feeling a lot better about things than is currently the case.

You must be joking...how can a new league be better for Losman than the CFL??

Ask Doug Flutie, Marv Levy and Warren Moon what they think of the CFL...

I think he could go to Canada and re-invent himself. He is a mobile QB.....or thats what we thought he was when we drafted him.

Why? Are you from Toronto or something??

The UFL will get more attention from the NFL than the CFL will this up-coming year, regardless of how well the League ends up. It's already drawing interest, just look at Lori's post about the coaches already on board. BTW, name someone since Flutie who has gone to the CFL and then reinvented themselves in the NFL?? I'll be waiting...

Losman posts should be banned from this website. Talking about him is like bringing up the priest who molested your little brother at the dinner table. Losman is terrible.

Well, thankfully you won't be taken seriously by anyone on this board with a user name like that....

Also, way to go comparing Losman to a child molestor. You fail at life, and I hope you never re-produce. That is all....

The CFL isn't the same league it was 20+ years ago when Flutie, Moon, Jeff Garcia and several others played there. It is a league barely surviving on its own. It tried to incorporate some teams from the U.S.A, but after a little while it wasn't worth it. At least the UFL will be playing NFL style football, same rules and run by personnel with years of time spent in the NFL as coaches and executives.

ok point taken....

But I was thinking JP could do well against non -NFL talent, build some stats and come back on a roster. Even for just one year.