Will he ever learn?

So following that logic, getting rid of coaches every 2-3 years will keep us in the same spot we are.

I will paraphrase, but Einstien once said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results..."

7-9 here we come!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only time I have seen DJ show anything close to emotion was when we where playing Washington and we where about to kick the game winning field goal and they used two time outs to try and ice us.

Well crap, maybe if he screamed more on the sideline we would have won more games!

Although I hate to side with chicken littles, he has a point. It's not like there's not a new offense being installed with an entire overhaul of the OL. Whether it's contact or not, nothing beats repetition in having them learn the new system.

Can't wait for this team to be ready by Fridays again.

From Jauron's post-practice PC:

On if cutting practice short today was a bonus for the players:

Not really. Sometimes I think one of the best periods in practice is the walk-thru, the learning. We slow it down, talk through certain things, talk about details, certain areas that you don’t have a lot of time to cover in detail at other times. We decided today would be a good day to do it. That’s what we did. We spent the whole time in special teams walk-thru, offense and defense walk-thru, situations.

Sounds like a learning experience to me.

From Jauron's post-practice PC:

Sounds like a learning experience to me.

Sorry, but until I see results on a Sunday, I'm not going to take his word that he liked what he saw in practice.

Sorry, but until I see results on a Sunday, I'm not going to take his word that he liked what he saw in practice.

Look, I'm not trying to argue that everything's fine and dandy and they're ready to take on the Pats. I just don't have a huge issue with using one minicamp practice as a walkthrough. He didn't cancel it; they were still working on plays.

One thing that did make me laugh from the press conference, though:

On how much he expects to use the no-huddle this year:

We were disappointed in how little we’ve used it. It was an emphasis for us in our offseason and our OTAs. The huddle is not complicated, and so we said we’ll focus our attention on not huddling and then we’ll work on it and we need to get better at it. We need to have more confidence in it and hopefully we’ll use it more. That’s kind of where we are. We think it’s a valuable weapon and obviously everybody else in the league uses it.

The huddle's not complicated, but they sure do seem to have a problem getting out of it and up to the line without having to rush to get the plays off.

I think the only time I have seen DJ show anything close to emotion was when we where playing Washington and we where about to kick the game winning field goal and they used two time outs to try and ice us.

All of DJ players love him because they can count on not making the playoffs every year and can plan vacations earlier than any of the good teams.

Look, I'm not trying to argue that everything's fine and dandy and they're ready to take on the Pats. I just don't have a huge issue with using one minicamp practice as a walkthrough. He didn't cancel it; they were still working on plays.

One thing that did make me laugh from the press conference, though:

The huddle's not complicated, but they sure do seem to have a problem getting out of it and up to the line without having to rush to get the plays off.

Please stop. If you insist on entering DJ's press conference as evidence, I think I'll have an aneurism.

Please stop. If you insist on entering DJ's press conference as evidence, I think I'll have an aneurism.

:thumbsup:

This one's even better:

On if the team will improve in detail-oriented areas:

We do. We definitely do. As you know, there are critical areas, and as a coach the night before game, you go over these things and you talk about, ‘you’ve got to win this situation.’ But the long and short of it is, and it sounds simple, because it is, but the long and short of it is, you have to win them all. If you don’t win first and second (down), your odds of winning third are not very good at all. You have to stack the statistics in your favor and the odds in your favor. Every situation you could name, it’s critically important that you win it. People talk about third down, but if you don’t win first and second, your odds are not good. If you win that, you stay on the field, and that’s time off the clock, time away from their offense, time for your offense and all of those good things. Red zone, you’ve got to put it in when you’ve got the opportunity because people are good. People are good, and you just don’t get as many opportunities as you would like. We’ve got to improve in every area. We’ve worked and they’ve worked awfully hard at it. Now, we’ll see if it’s going to bear fruit for us.

"Well, we'd like to be undefeated, but we're not, so ..." I think I need to go look up that gem from last season and make it my new sig.

This one's even better:

"Well, we'd like to be undefeated, but we're not, so ..." I think I need to go look up that gem from last season and make it my new sig.

Sorry, have to wipe the blood that just shot out of my ear....

So, if you gain 9 yards on first & second downs, then get pushed back on third & 1, that happened because you didn't win the first two downs?

WHATEVER WILL WE DO?!?!?! DJ ENDED MINI CAMP 50 MINUTES EARLY... WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOMED... DOOMED I TELL YOU.

Unless I'm reading the article wrong I believe the last day of practice was shrunk down to a 35 minute walkthrough.

Either way every minute in practice counts for a team that hasn't broken .500 in years.

I'm more concerned with the next 6 weeks of no practices. They should move these past 3 days of mandatory practice to the end of Jun/beginning of july. (yes, I'm sure the league wouldn't allow that.)

This one's even better:

What strikes me about all that mental pablum you quoted is that it all seems absurdly fatalistic. If everything lines up just right, the luck runs your way, the weather is good, the other guys make mistakes and you don't, the officials help you out more than the other guy, and ... In summary, it comes out as "we'd want to win but, golly, who knows if that last second kick will go through the uprights or not?"

Joe Gibbs once said that football is a game that rewards toughness, strength, and teamwork. If you can impose your will on the opponent, physically overpower them, and mentally wear them out, they stand no chance and you are rewarded with championships. Of course, what does Coach Gibbs know? It's not like he actually won anything ... oh, wait. :unsure:

What strikes me about all that mental pablum you quoted is that it all seems absurdly fatalistic. If everything lines up just right, the luck runs your way, the weather is good, the other guys make mistakes and you don't, the officials help you out more than the other guy, and ... In summary, it comes out as "we'd want to win but, golly, who knows if that last second kick will go through the uprights or not?"

Joe Gibbs once said that football is a game that rewards toughness, strength, and teamwork. If you can impose your will on the opponent, physically overpower them, and mentally wear them out, they stand no chance and you are rewarded with championships. Of course, what does Coach Gibbs know? It's not like he actually won anything ... oh, wait. :thumbsup:

I hear what your saying but it sounds like both guys are on autopilot during these interviews. The difference is one guy is doing damge control and the other is enjoying the moment. His take on winning championships is not exactly riveting. In a nutshell, if you beat your opponent every which way you will be rewarded with wins. Quite the recipe for championships.

I hear what your saying but it sounds like both guys are on autopilot during these interviews. The difference is one guy is doing damge control and the other is enjoying the moment. His take on winning championships is not exactly riveting. In a nutshell, if you beat your opponent every which way you will be rewarded with wins. Quite the recipe for championships.

Didn't mean Gibbs comment as any sort of deep revelation on the meaning of life. It was comment he made about why he liked the game of football so much. Today, we'd call his philosophy "smashmouth". And, he wasn't the first and wasn't the last to subscribe to that philosophy.

But, the point was that he had a conviction about what worked and how to achieve success, which he did in two sports at the highest level of competition. He wasn't all about "working hard" and "getting better at everything" so "maybe the ball will bounce our way this time".