DHS Electronic Search Policy

I don't post in PPP very often because well it's just plain scary in here but I thought this was the place to post this.

I had no idea this policy was in use. I'm not condoning in any way what this guy had on his computer. I'm sure he was pulled aside because of his past, but does that make these searches right? I'm interested to see what some you think about this.

Link

Yeah I am sure they have access to everything since the criminal is :

Timothy David Webb, a 32-year-old convicted sex offender from Woodbridge

This is not a patriot act issue. It is the case of being a convicted sex offender where everything you do is subject to review for the rest of your life

I think they call it the Patriot Act.

They don't need warrents to search you.

And yes, it can be :thumbsup: scary here.

It has nothing to do with the Patriot Act, or Bush, or Cheney. Indeed, search without cause has always been the governments perogative at a port of entry (ie border crossings, the international terminals of airports, etc). It is in fact the international norm.

The only issues are how often it occurs, and what is the method of determining how often and who to search (probable cause? profiling? random?), which varies from country to country.

It has nothing to do with the Patriot Act, or Bush, or Cheney. Indeed, search without cause has always been the governments perogative at a port of entry (ie border crossings, the international terminals of airports, etc). It is in fact the international norm.

The only issues are how often it occurs, and what is the method of determining how often and who to search (probable cause? profiling? random?), which varies from country to country.

Like I said I'm pretty sure he was selected because of his record, not randomly.

That's the thing, should I who has never been arrested, spent 20 years in the Navy be subject to this kind of search without due cause? I definitely lean to the right on damn near every issue but this isn't one of them.

The issue isn't that this perv got searched and arrested (as he should have been arrested), it's should each and every one of us be subject to this if we're not on the "watch list".

They can search anything brought into the country including your body cavities. Benn like that forever.

Example: They can take apart your car at the Peace Bridge looking for drugs and don't have to put it back together.

They can search anything brought into the country including your body cavities. Benn like that forever.

Example: They can take apart your car at the Peace Bridge looking for drugs and don't have to put it back together.

QFT

And before you blame Bush and the Patriot* Act, my mom's cousin went thru that experience during the 90s

Like I said I'm pretty sure he was selected because of his record, not randomly.

That's the thing, should I who has never been arrested, spent 20 years in the Navy be subject to this kind of search without due cause? I definitely lean to the right on damn near every issue but this isn't one of them.

The issue isn't that this perv got searched and arrested (as he should have been arrested), it's should each and every one of us be subject to this if we're not on the "watch list".

It is going to sound stupid and I surely will take flak for it... Here goes... Just have faith that you won't be singled out. If you do and the problem starts to grow, we can cross that bridge at that time.

Yep. It is called "no-mans" land... Always been like that... You don't phuck around at border crossings, plain and simple.

It has happened to me 20 years ago. Why? At the time it was two mid-twenty kids in a bad-ass mustang crossing the border at a main entry in the morning and returning late at night through a different middle-of-nowhere entry within the Montreal-NYC drug corridor. Pure profiling. And a reasonable one at that.

Was I pissed? Nope. In hindsight I was happy to see that somebody is awake and thinking in the border protection business. All those years being waved through at the Falls led me to expect otherwise.

Probably cause and domestic law is useless for border control. Consider the situation when we were young. They would ask our citizenship, and if it was the US they would wave us through - no passport or proof of ID neccessary. If probable cause were the threshold for further investigation, then there would be no lawfull means of challanging anybody's claim of US citizenship.

Another example at the Peace Bridge-this one in the 1960s-1970s:

My father worked as a dock worker for a company that hauled meat (sides of beef, cases, of it, etc). They were told to go down to the Peace Bridge and transfer the meat from a Canadian truck to theirs.Someone (the boss) had forgot to tell customs. After the meat was transferred, they started questioning the workers. My father said they were being lectured, questioned and yelled at for about 2 hours. He was sure the rubber glove was next. When their boss finally showed up, they stopped bothering them and the authorities questioned their boss for an hour. Ended up that customs sealed the truck and the seal had to be removed by a customs agent in NYC (where it was headed).

An aside about that company. Prisoners in the early 70si n Attica (around the time of the riot there) were complaining that they were getting rotten baloney and that any good meat was going to the guards. BS. My father had to deliver sides of beef there once. There was WAY too much beef for the guards to be getting it. They had to drive in and out over a pit with a guard in it and a guard over the truck. After parking and unlocking the trailer, they went to a locked area. Prisoners then came out and unloaded the truck. Back out over the pit to be sure no one was escaping. or smuggling stuff.

Another example at the Pwace Bridge-this one in the 1960s-1970s:

My father worked as a dock worker for a company that hauled meat (sides of beef, cases, of it, etc). They were told to go down to the Peace Bridge and transfer the meat from a Canadian truck to theirs.Someone (the boss) had forgot to tell customs. After the meat wsa transferred, they started questioning tyhe workers. My father said they were being lectured, questioned and yelled at for about 2 hours. He was sure the rubber glove was next. When theirr boss finally showed up, they stopped bothering them and the authorities questionned their boss for an hour. Ended up that customs sealed the truck and the seal had to be removed by a customs agen in NYC (where it was haded).

An aside about that company. Prisoners in the early 70si n Attica (around the time of the riot there) were complaining that they were getting rotten baloney and that any good meat was going to the guards. BS. My father had to deliver sides of beef there once. There was WAY too much beef for the gusrds to be getting it. They had to drive in and out over a pit with a guard in it and a guard over the truck. After parking and unlocking the trailer, they went to a locked area. Prisoners then came out and unloaded the truck. Back out over the pit to be sure no one was escaping. or smuggling stuff.

Prisoners then came out and loaded another truck...

Just saying, it is possible.

It has happened to me 20 years ago. Why? At the time it was two mid-twenty kids in a bad-ass mustang crossing the border at a main entry in the morning and returning late at night through a different middle-of-nowhere entry within the Montreal-NYC drug corridor. Pure profiling. And a reasonable one at that.

Was I pissed? Nope. In hindsight I was happy to see that somebody is awake and thinking in the border protection business. All those years being waved through at the Falls led me to expect otherwise.

Probably cause and domestic law is useless for border control. Consider the situation when we were young. They would ask our citizenship, and if it was the US they would wave us through - no passport or proof of ID neccessary. If probable cause were the threshold for further investigation, then there would be no lawfull means of challanging anybody's claim of US citizenship.

My sister's ex-mother-in-law would hit Fort Erie every weekend for bingo... They literally knew her by her first name and would just wabe her through... ;)