Letterman: What happened to him?

Past tense includes anything that happened in the past. It does not magically mean anything that happened before she got pregnant.

I brought that up for you. You never said it. You are the one who got pedantic about past and present tense. I have already provided a link showing how she is advocating for abstinence now (and in the past even if only a few days or weeks).

Sucks when someone parses your writing doesn't it?

huh :lol:

let's remember something here, you replied to my comment, INCORRECTLY, it wasn't about being "pedantic" the whole past tense issue was at the heart of my argument. If I had said doesn't, then that would of been a different story. Do you not understand that?

So technically, I'm still right. :rolleyes:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh :lol:

let's remember something here, you replied to my comment, INCORRECTLY, it wasn't about being "pedantic" the whole past tense issue was at the heart of my argument. If I had said doesn't, then that would of been a different story. Do you not understand that?

So technically, I'm still right. :rolleyes:

You said didn't which is past tense. However, it does not establish what time period you mean in the past. That is my point.

If you are going to rip someone apart over what is meant vs what someone can read into what was said, you should be much more specific. IMO anyway.

Dudes you are arguing about tenses and you are both spelling it wrong. The "past" refers to histopry. The tense is "passed" as in time that has already passed by.

I didn't want to stop you because I have gotten a lot of laughs but the whole thing has worn off now.

Did you look at the links? The links show she was doing so after and do you really believe if she was asked before her pregnancy that she would have said different? She certainly didn't advocate birth control.

Now who's the idiot?

Booster was able to figure it out, I will copy his post. MAYBE this time you can put two and two together.

So your contention is that Bristol wasn't advocating abstinence when she got pregnant? So no hypocrisy when she advocates it now, as she has presumably learned something from her own personal experience? If so, I would agree.

Do you recognize this quote?

she's using her fame to tell other teens to do what she didn't do -- abstain from sex.

Did you read the links? There is hypocrisy when she says abstinence is the best way and she's living proof it doesn't work. She's finally gotten it through her thick skull that abstinence isn't a realistic ideal. You seem to somehow have taken what I said and twisted it to mean whatever you want it to mean. What difference does it make if she advocated abstinence before or after?

Dudes you are arguing about tenses and you are both spelling it wrong. The "past" refers to histopry. The tense is "passed" as in time that has already passed by.

I didn't want to stop you because I have gotten a lot of laughs but the whole thing has worn off now.

Is "histropy" like the Grand Ole Opry? Or are you trying to pull oned passed, er I mean past, us?

Is "histropy" like the Grand Ole Opry? Or are you trying to pull oned passed, er I mean past, us?

Dude, that was a typo and I meant to say history.

But as long as you asked I believe the word "histropy" refers to a dude that is totally disorganized whereas "hertropy" is about the clutter and disorganization some women suffer from.

Dude, that was a typo and I meant to say history.

But as long as you asked I believe the word "histropy" refers to a dude that is totally disorganized whereas "hertropy" is about the clutter and disorganization some women suffer from.

you misspelled history?

you misspelled history?

There is a difference between an incorrect spelling and a typographical error. Let me explain:

Present tense:

I can spell the word history but sometimes I type too fast and it looks like histropy.

Passed tense:

One time I made a typographical error while writing the word history. I incorrectly typed out histropy even though I knew full well the proper spelling.

There is a difference between an incorrect spelling and a typographical error. Let me explain:

Present tense:

I can spell the word history but sometimes I type too fast and it looks like histropy.

Passed tense:

One time I made a typographical error while writing the word history. I incorrectly typed out histropy even though I knew full well the proper spelling.

I guess that one passed by you

What is more disturbing to me is how many people instantly assume it is the rape of the minor. When I heard the joke, I thought of the 18 year old.

It gives the right some thing to B word about. I posted it earlier .. A joke in bad taste and because he didn't specity a name they assumed he was talking about Willow.

Again I ask.... Where did the word rape come from? The Right. They need to make a big issue out of this.

Growing up in the 80's I watched Letterman all the time. Although in the last 10 years I haven't watched very often, when I do I see a completely different, unfunny, far left leaning shell of his former self. What happened to him? Was he always like this and I just didn't realize it?

I agree. Nowadays Letterman can't finish a monologue without going off on a riff about the nationalization of another American industry, ranting about the need for slave reparations, or voicing his support for the unequivocal reversal of the Second Amendment. So help me god if I hear him mention his weekly brunch with Noah Chomsky and Howard Zinn for the thousandth time I'm going to have to start watching Conan.

WHERE was all the fuss 8 to 12 months ago when EVERY late night show host made jokes about Palin's pregnant daughter?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31381282/ns/en...ashington_post/

Through mid-March, Leno had made 15 jokes about the Palin daughter's pregnancy, Stewart had told four on "The Daily Show," and Letterman checked in with eight, according to an analysis of late-night humor by the Center for Media and Public Affairs, a nonpartisan research organization affiliated with George Mason University.

The comedian most likely to bash Bristol Palin? O'Brien, with 20 jokes at her expense.

"Saturday Night Live" has also parodied the Palin family in questionable ways. In a skit last September, a mock reporter joked about incest in the vice presidential candidate's family, saying, "I mean, come on. It's Alaska!"

Palin not only didn't protest, she appeared as a guest on the program a few weeks later.

Why now?

So why did Palin ask Letterman - and only Letterman - for an apology? And why did she wait until last week?

It's conceivable that Palin was aware of the late-night jokes made about her daughter during the campaign and wanted to fight back, but kept quiet as a strategic matter, says Tim Graham, the director of media analysis for the Media Research Center, a conservative media watchdog organization.

A more cynical view may be that Palin had more than enough media attention last fall, and that her Letterman broadside was designed to renew attention when the spotlight is dimming. Palin may even have been aware of a Gallup poll released last week showing that she attracted less than 1 percent of Republicans who were asked to name the "main person who speaks for the Republican Party today."

WHERE was all the fuss 8 to 12 months ago when EVERY late night show host made jokes about Palin's pregnant daughter?

Through mid-March, Leno had made 15 jokes about the Palin daughter's pregnancy, Stewart had told four on "The Daily Show," and Letterman checked in with eight, according to an analysis of late-night humor by the Center for Media and Public Affairs, a nonpartisan research organization affiliated with George Mason University.

The comedian most likely to bash Bristol Palin? O'Brien, with 20 jokes at her expense.

"Saturday Night Live" has also parodied the Palin family in questionable ways. In a skit last September, a mock reporter joked about incest in the vice presidential candidate's family, saying, "I mean, come on. It's Alaska!"

Palin not only didn't protest, she appeared as a guest on the program a few weeks later.

Why now?

So why did Palin ask Letterman - and only Letterman - for an apology? And why did she wait until last week?

It's conceivable that Palin was aware of the late-night jokes made about her daughter during the campaign and wanted to fight back, but kept quiet as a strategic matter, says Tim Graham, the director of media analysis for the Media Research Center, a conservative media watchdog organization.

A more cynical view may be that Palin had more than enough media attention last fall, and that her Letterman broadside was designed to renew attention when the spotlight is dimming. Palin may even have been aware of a Gallup poll released last week showing that she attracted less than 1 percent of Republicans who were asked to name the "main person who speaks for the Republican Party today."

Those are a bunch of nice theories. Another theory is that Letterman joked about a public statuatory rape of her 14 year old daughter while others were joking about sex that her 18 year old had already had. Some people are up tight about that.

Another theory is that Palin hates hispanics and we all know A-Rod's last name. Maybe if the joke was about Jeter everything would have been ok.

P.S. We haven't heard from Meazza in a while. Was he a writer?

He made a mistake and he halfway owned up to it.

The thing I don't like about his show is how he uses it like many other comedians as a political tool if/when need be. Not that I'm a huge John McCain fan, but the difference in interviews between McCain and Obama on Letterman are VERY undisguised.

What makes that even more amazing, is how little difference there was between Obama and McCain.

Why now?

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Gov. Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it. -- "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," 9/2/08

P.S. We haven't heard from Meazza in a while. Was he a writer?

Last I heard he doing something similar to being a Deadhead.

But instead of wearing a tiedye t-shirt and following around the Grateful Dead, he's wearing a raincoat and following around Hannah Montana