Turnovers

So here are my questions for discussions:

1) How much does the coaching staff deserve in blame for the change in turnover ratio? IMO, I think is clearly on the players. If you somehow blame Jauron, you also must give him credit for 2007.

2) Do we make the playoffs this year with our 2007 turnover ratio?

3) Is Lindell a good enough kicker to count of in close games?

Discuss.

1.) Marv Levy believed in the importance of turnovers and drafted players with a knack at it in college. He had his coaches drill takeaways all the time and it contributed GREATLY to the success of those teams. We seemed to create enough fumbles and INT ops last year, but just didn't gain control of the ball enough. So, yes, coaching/team direction is a part of it.

2.) I'd say yes, given that #3 can deliver.

3.) He's been great for us since he came from Seattle. BUT, we waited too long to say good-by to Norwood at the end, and Christie's best days were behind him when he left. I think Lindell is past his apex and would love to see someone else kick the shiite out the ball this pre-season and snatch it away. The only way we can stay at or near the top of special teams is to keep adding new players that excel there.

JMO

OK, fine. The OP will have to acknowledge that our defensive talent (including Mitchell, Poz and Whitner) is below average.

It was beyond below average in 2007. The Pizza Man filled in as well as he could but's he's jsut not as good as Poz. We had no Stroud. A converted receiver was our starting FS and Greer was getting his first real NFL playing. Additionally, Mitchell made more big plays (sacks and INTs) in his 1st season as a Bill than any season Crowell had here.

So in 2007, our defensive talent was worse yet we made more big plays. Why? I think it just shows how valuable Schobel is. Hopefully, a healthy AS, plus any contribution from Ellis or Maybin could easily make this a top 10 defense.

Excellent post.

I believe that one vital factor in the Bills lack of turnovers (and losing record) last year was no pass rush.

That one single element, IMHO, could be responsible for so much of the problems the Bills faced last year.

A viable pass rush creates pressure on the opposing team and especially QB to make decisions faster than they would like; thus increasing the likelihood of a bad decision (throw down the middle, lobbed ball, etc). I have grown incredibly mad over seeing Tom Brady or Cassel or whomever is playing QB for the Patriots every year sitting behind a wall of offensive lineman, with little more than a sniff from our D-Line.

I'm hoping that the addition of Maybin, the return of Schobel, a new D-line coach, and perhaps someone on the roster not yet identified will add that pressure this year.

Here's to seeing Brady on his a$$ 3 times per game.

OK, fine. The OP will have to acknowledge that our defensive talent (including Mitchell, Poz and Whitner) is below average.

I'm confused though. Wasn't the point that Jauron is a great coach? Was that because the 07 the team had no talent but the turnover differential was good? Or was it because the 08 the team had no talent but improved significantly in almost every area other than turnovers? (Of course, the quality of the competition in 07 vs. 08 has nothing to do with the latter "analysis".)

It was beyond below average in 2007. The Pizza Man filled in as well as he could but's he's jsut not as good as Poz. We had no Stroud. A converted receiver was our starting FS and Greer was getting his first real NFL playing. Additionally, Mitchell made more big plays (sacks and INTs) in his 1st season as a Bill than any season Crowell had here.

So in 2007, our defensive talent was worse yet we made more big plays. Why? I think it just shows how valuable Schobel is. Hopefully, a healthy AS, plus any contribution from Ellis or Maybin could easily make this a top 10 defense.

In 2007 I think we had seven of those turnovers in one game (at least six) which we lost, IMO, because of bad coaching decisions late in the game. And which distorted the overall 2007 turnover numbers. I'm just sayin'. :doh:

In 2007 I think we had seven of those turnovers in one game (at least six) which we lost, IMO, because of bad coaching decisions late in the game. And which distorted the overall 2007 turnover numbers. I'm just sayin'. :doh:

Yeah the POOR QB play by Trent had NOTHING to do with that loss.