Who makes and calls the plays?

I know the readers here are intelligent and don't like repeat posts, so I tried to look and see if I posted anything like this before, but couldn't figure it out, so, if it has already been asked, I apologize.

Anyway, when I read people's posts saying how terrible Dick Jauron is on game day, and the bad play calling, and the horrible offense, I always wonder who's job it is to make up the plays and to call them on the field, both offensively and defensively. Other than the Patriots, who seem to do good with new coordinators - which I assume means the Bill B. does a lot when it comes to plays - it seems that a coach of average ability could be considered great with the right coordinators. I guess Indy will be a good test of that this year. To the point, doesn't the O.C. and the D.C. make the plays and call them, or, does Jauron decide which plays to call, or is it o.k.'d by him before the play? How does it work, and who should really be getting the critisism for bad play calling?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, Jauron defers to his coordinators except in the cases of short yardage situations on offense. Much like Marv used to do. That said, depending on other in-game situations, Jauron will overide if he feels necessary. He should have overidden Turk's call against the Jets last year but he didn't. That was a clusterfu*k of a call that JP should have audibled out of the minute he saw the D-alignment. But I digress.

GO BILLS!!!

It is my understanding based on general commentary from the coaches and also watching the signaling and activity during the game that in fact it is both the OC Schoenert and the DC Fewell who make the specific play calls during the games.

However, it is also my understanding from general commentary that the entire coaching staff led by Jauron chose an overall game plan for the week based on how our team is performing and also the opponent.

Thus in a particular week Jauron makes the final call but he decides with strong input from the co-ordinators whether the strategy that week is one where the Bills set a goal to be more aggressive or more conservative with the offensive game plan depending upon whether they are looking to hold the ball to keep the other offense off the field (more runs) or they decide to light it up because they see a better chance at winning by putting points on the board such that it is worth the risk that they may go three and out and place extra pressure on the D.

Though the Bills almost always go fairly conservative with the O gameplan (running a lot and quick short passes rather than going for the homerun except occasionally to keep the opponent honest) the gameplan makes a difference as to whether the Bills might open with a deep pass if they feel they have a good match-up with Evans versus the opposing secondary and/or if they feel their D matches up well against the opposing O so they do not fear if we miss the first pass to Evans and face a real threat of going three and out.

The gameplan also makes a difference as to whether 3rd and 2 or 3 is a running or a passing down.

There is fairly constant checking in and Jauron might tell Schoenert to open it up a bit or air it out a bit if he feels the situation needs to changed.

The OC and the DC are calling plays and generally it is the responsibility of the position coaches to make sure that their units are putting the proper people out on each play to run the call. The co-ordinators know generally the physical condition of each player but specifically it is the responsibility of the position coaches to make sure than any injured player on their unit is getting the proper in game medical care and to communicate to the co-ordinators if a player is out or needs a rest. He communicates this to the co-ordinators who if necessary gets word to the HC of changes in personnel availability that may effect the game.

In the past, Marv as HC took over all offensive play calling in the redzone but I do not think Jauron does this.

This is generally how it works from what I have seen but if anyone has any specific quotes or references that is different from this fairly standard I look forward to getting educated by these sites.

I honestly believe that Turk was calling the plays for the first half of last season and then when the team was hovering at 6-2 I think Jauron took over, hence the blatantly obvious move towards a conservative offense and defense.

I could be wrong but I blame Jauron for mostly everything.

Guest dog14787
FWIW, Jauron defers to his coordinators except in the cases of short yardage situations on offense. Much like Marv used to do. That said, depending on other in-game situations, Jauron will overide if he feels necessary. He should have overidden Turk's call against the Jets last year but he didn't. That was a clusterfu*k of a call that JP should have audibled out of the minute he saw the D-alignment. But I digress.

GO BILLS!!!

Odd, I thought I remember DJ taking credit for the botched play. At first I thought DJ might have just been covering for Shonert, but wouldn't Shonert have spoken up about it?

So DJ was straight out lying or he made the call, I think he may have told Shonert to play aggressive and go for the kill.

Odd, I thought I remember DJ taking credit for the botched play. At first I thought DJ might have just been covering for Shonert, but wouldn't Shonert have spoken up about it?

So DJ was straight out lying or he made the call, I think he may have told Shonert to play aggressive and go for the kill.

That was Jauron being a standup guy for his OC. And no, Schonert wouldn't have spoken up about it necessarily. That play lost the game flat out. Jauron took responsibility and minimized the fallout. Damage control 101. Also, he CAN take credit for the botched play for not having vetoed it. But that's another story.

And if you're going for the kill in that situation, that's NOT the play you call. Flat out. They were going for the 1st down. JP screwed the pooch because he can't read a defense.

GO BILLS!!!

Guest dog14787
That was Jauron being a standup guy for his OC. And no, Schonert wouldn't have spoken up about it necessarily. That play lost the game flat out. Jauron took responsibility and minimized the fallout. Damage control 101. Also, he CAN take credit for the botched play for not having vetoed it. But that's another story.

And if you're going for the kill in that situation, that's NOT the play you call. Flat out. They were going for the 1st down. JP screwed the pooch because he can't read a defense.

GO BILLS!!!

Just speculation on your part, if I was the OC and I called the play I wouldn't let my HC take the blame for it, if I can call the play, I can own up to it regardless if it backfired or not.

If DJ lied and I was Ralph Wilson and found out, I would fire them both on the spot. :lol:

I honestly believe that Turk was calling the plays for the first half of last season and then when the team was hovering at 6-2 I think Jauron took over, hence the blatantly obvious move towards a conservative offense and defense.

I could be wrong but I blame Jauron for mostly everything.

Outside of the fact that it makes negative zero sense to make a basic change in what you are doing when you are 6-2 what you say has the relevancy it deserves.